Skip navigation

Attn: WinXP Users (Security)

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > General Chatter > Attn: WinXP Users (Security)
Pages 1 2
Level 14 Human gamer
Alignment: Chaotic evil
Posted on September 21, 2006 at 10:05 pm

http://www.grc.com/sn/notes-058.htm
As I have just learned, there is now a zero-day exploit on VML. It is strongly recommended that you do not go to any untrusted sites. The site gives a way to temporarily protect yourself until a patch is released for this on October 10. It is strongly recommended that you be very careful when on the net.
http://www.grc.com/sn/notes-058.htm

Level 14 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on September 21, 2006 at 10:23 pm

Thanks, jujaga!
Not a problem for us, Firefox users though :)

Level 14 Human gamer
Posted on September 21, 2006 at 11:46 pm

Then again, I'm not taking any chances. I've disabled the dll as the page recommended until Microsoft patches this hole. Can't be too safe... ^_^

Level 14 Human Unaffiliated Game Maker
Alignment: Chaotic
Posted on September 22, 2006 at 10:49 am

Well, I can't be bothered to read that...but I don't update windows anyway sooo....

Level 14 Human gamer
Posted on September 22, 2006 at 11:30 am

lucky im stuck in the stone age with 2000.

Level 14 Extraplanar Programmer
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on September 22, 2006 at 11:47 am

Well, I can't be bothered to read that...but I don't update windows anyway sooo....
Soooo... you're open to hundreds of exploits, not just this one?

Oh, and just for the record:
Related Software
Microsoft Windows 2000 Service Pack 4
Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 1 and Service Pack 2
Microsoft Windows XP Professional x64 Edition
Microsoft Windows Server 2003 and Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1
Microsoft Windows Server 2003 with SP1 for Itanium-based Systems Edition
Microsoft Windows Server 2003 x64 Edition

Win2K isn't really that much more ancient than WinXP; after all, WinXP came out in 2001.

Level 14 Human gamer
Posted on September 22, 2006 at 4:24 pm

Soooo... you're open to hundreds of exploits, not just this one?

Oh, and just for the record:
Related Software
Microsoft Windows 2000 Service Pack 4
Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 1 and Service Pack 2
Microsoft Windows XP Professional x64 Edition
Microsoft Windows Server 2003 and Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1
Microsoft Windows Server 2003 with SP1 for Itanium-based Systems Edition
Microsoft Windows Server 2003 x64 Edition

Win2K isn't really that much more ancient than WinXP; after all, WinXP came out in 2001.

normally i wouldn't swear but [][][][]

Level 14 Human gamer
Posted on September 22, 2006 at 10:33 pm

And if you really want to get into the specifics, Windows 2000 and XP comes from the same NT Trunk lineup... 2000 having version 5.0 and XP having 5.1... funny how the numbers say something very subtle...
If you are very interested, Windows Vista is slated to have the version 6.0... still part of the NT Trunk. ^_^

Level 14 Human Unaffiliated Game Maker
Alignment: Chaotic
Posted on September 24, 2006 at 5:28 am

I have no clue what you're talking about....but for reasons. I can't update :wink: 2ndself out.

Level 14 Human gamer
Posted on September 24, 2006 at 7:07 am

You can use AutoPatcher - http://www.autopatcher.com/ if you hate Windows Update like I do.

Level 14 Human gamer
Posted on September 24, 2006 at 9:24 am

If you are very interested, Windows Vista is slated to have the version 6.0... still part of the NT Trunk. ^_^

I have the release candidate on a test machine. Not worth the upgrade once it's released. Still alot of bugs for an rc.

Posted on September 25, 2006 at 1:24 pm

Yeah, RC1 is still annoying me. It keeps forgetting my video card drivers, and their no unsigned driver for 64bit processors policy is incredibly annoying. I think this build may have been a little early to call it a Release Candidate .

Level 14 Human gamer
Posted on September 25, 2006 at 5:53 pm

I'm also annoyed by IE7. No way to customize it. I don't want to use the integrated search feature (Thats what the Google Search Bar is for) and there's no way to resize and move the toolbars and the address window.

Level 14 Human gamer
Posted on September 25, 2006 at 7:43 pm

I concur... but the thing I hate the most is their decision to remove the vga standard at boot... so I can't even install it on my virtual machine... sigh...

Level 14 Human gamer
Posted on September 25, 2006 at 7:51 pm

I have it running on 2 virtual machines. Are your video drivers up to date. I created my vm's using Vmware.

Posted on September 25, 2006 at 10:00 pm

Actually, Explorer's new interface bugs me. I can get over the fact that they got rid of the menu bar; most of it I never used anyway, although it means I have to learn where they moved the few things that were useful. But they also decided to get rid of the navigate to the parent folder button and the ability to scroll the folder view horizontally, which are both very useful things!

Level 14 Human gamer
Posted on September 26, 2006 at 9:09 am

I concur as well... the gui has been drastically changed... I've played around with it already, and I'm trying to be optimistic that this is better for us on the long run...

Level 14 Human gamer
Posted on September 26, 2006 at 10:05 am

I don't think it will be better. I like the tabbed browsing (although with 5 home pages it opens too slow) but that's it. I don't want the integrated search bar and I want to be able to resize and move the toolbar and address window the way I want them. Not going to happen. If MS wants to take advantage of it's monopoly power, it should think about what it's consumers want and need.

Level 14 Human gamer
Posted on September 26, 2006 at 12:01 pm

Just wondering how easy is it for linex to run? and could i still play treadmarks using it?.

Level 14 Human gamer
Posted on September 26, 2006 at 6:46 pm

Depends on which version of linux you are planning for, and no, none of lda's games work on linux. I personally prefer OpenSUSE Linux 10.1 with KDE Desktop Environment 3.5.4. ^_^

Pages 1 2