Skip navigation

Sunday 8/13, Stock Ranked DDM 8 EDT/5 PDT/12 GMT

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Tread Marks > Sunday 8/13, Stock Ranked DDM 8 EDT/5 PDT/12 GMT
Level 13 Human gamer
Alignment: Chaotic
Posted on August 13, 2006 at 8:38 am

Stock DDM time. Server should be up.

Level 15 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on August 13, 2006 at 4:40 pm

Back from vacation...promise to be there...OH YEAH!

Mind you, I will get my butt kicked...but still...it is worth going...LOL

Level 13 Human gamer
Posted on August 13, 2006 at 7:39 pm

Mind you, I will get my butt kicked...but still...it is worth going...LOL

So, what's new...? :twisted:

post ranked ddm note:

i got my butt kicked :twisted:
good games 666 & RC (and all that showed up :P )

Level 13 Human bookkeeper
Posted on August 13, 2006 at 10:55 pm

pics are in

aug 13th 2006 ranked ddm

toodles,
harmless
:)

Level 13 Human gamer
Posted on August 14, 2006 at 4:41 pm

I would have gone...but lately I have been gettig 5000 ping whenever I play tm :(

Level 13 Human gamer
Alignment: Chaotic evil
Posted on August 14, 2006 at 9:31 pm

Odd... make sure that the only thing running is TM... either you have a poor dialup connection, some other program is hogging up cpu, or some other program is stealing your bandwidth. You should dig a bit to see what's going on. A dialup connection should average around 275-500ms... 5000ms is obviously something wrong.

Level 13 Human Shadow
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on August 14, 2006 at 10:36 pm

A dial up connection during a DDM should average 1000-2000 ping. I know. I used to use dial up.

Level 13 Human gamer
Posted on August 15, 2006 at 2:21 pm

not just ddm I mean anytime :(

Level 13 Human gamer
Posted on August 16, 2006 at 12:07 am

A dial up connection during a DDM should average 1000-2000 ping. I know. I used to use dial up.

Odd... I used to always get 275-500ms on my past dialup connection...

Level 13 Human Shadow
Posted on August 16, 2006 at 8:20 am

It's all a matter of how many players are on. Dial up reaches saturation at about 4-5 players, after that it will lag behind dropping updates becuase it simply can't keep up with the number of players, which spikes ping time. Remember, ping isn't just How fast can I connect but also How fast can my machine process all the data and display it. With TM, the slow point for dialup is in the 2nd at the recieving all the data.

During the DDMs I was talking about several years ago, they would routinely have 12-18 players on for them. Way over the dialup limit.

--RC

Level 13 Human gamer
Posted on August 16, 2006 at 1:13 pm

True... oh yeah! I now remember being in big events with a bunch of people... I was around 3000ms...

Level 13 Human Shadow
Posted on August 16, 2006 at 7:21 pm

Just something to think about:

For me, broadband = cost of dial up. Here is how:

DSL cost $32/month:
1 year subscription @ $30/month + federal taxes (about $2)

Dial up cost - $25-35/month:
1. 2nd phone line subscription @ $15/month (since dial up drops often, you have to have a plan that needs at least 60 dials/month, and those aren't cheap)
2. Dial-up provider @ $15/month (average price, most are $20, but you can find plenty down to as low as $10)

Dennis: look into the costs, not just of the broadband connection, but of not needing the 2nd phone line anymore. Your parents might not realize how much they really pay for dial-up :)

Level 13 Human gamer
Posted on August 16, 2006 at 7:43 pm

Dennis: look into the costs, not just of the broadband connection, but of not needing the 2nd phone line anymore. Your parents might not realize how much they really pay for dial-up :)

You could also:

...use your pc for out-of-state & international calls and save even more money on lower rates...

... get a bundle deal (most internet companies have specials with lower prices: tv cable + cable internet)

... take advantage of having more users on-line at the same time than just 1 :)

...take advantage to download 1 MB per seconds than hours :D

and lastly, take advantage of of playing and having fun on-line rather than lag...

RC is right, the difference between dial up and fast internet costs is minimal but advantages are much, much different...