Skip navigation

What extras are there 4???

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Tread Marks > What extras are there 4???
Level 13 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on August 12, 2006 at 12:43 pm

Was woundering what there was as extras for this game mods updates what ever and i tried to run the update thats 1.5 to 1.6 then tried another download update but all them tell me same thing ZIPFile corrupt?? Ive got this off 3 downloads 2 update files and wepons upgrade but noe of them seam to work. I loged onto the LDA server and man it was laggy must be alot of dileup users I have to kick dileup users off my servers just because they lag the games on GR Deltaforce BHD my Rainbosix Ravenshield and STRONGHOLD2 all others are so low on bandwith like strongohld the 1st on. who has a server with out the lag?? and how to u all communate TeamSpeak? Xfire? or some other way?. Found that this game is really cool passes the time inbetween the other games im running :!: :?:

Level 14 Human gamer
Alignment: Chaotic evil
Posted on August 12, 2006 at 1:55 pm

Was woundering what there was as extras for this game mods updates what ever and i tried to run the update thats 1.5 to 1.6 then tried another download update but all them tell me same thing ZIPFile corrupt?? Ive got this off 3 downloads 2 update files and wepons upgrade but noe of them seam to work. I loged onto the LDA server and man it was laggy must be alot of dileup users I have to kick dileup users off my servers just because they lag the games on GR Deltaforce BHD my Rainbosix Ravenshield and STRONGHOLD2 all others are so low on bandwith like strongohld the 1st on. who has a server with out the lag?? and how to u all communate TeamSpeak? Xfire? or some other way?. Found that this game is really cool passes the time inbetween the other games im running :!: :?:

I'm not the best person to answer the questions, but here are my answers.
I can't exactly tell you anything about the zip files. You could attempt downloading the zip through another program like firefox, or an external download manager.
Lag could be caused from many things; you, the server, or other people. If it was you, make sure the only thing running is the game - nothing else is taking up bandwidth or cpu cycles. If it was the server, maybe it can't handle that many people at once, or is having some sort of difficulty. The servers on TM are all mostly lag free. However, newer servers like adderworld are still calibrating, so they will have a bit more lag than others. Ultimately though, there will always be around a 50ms lag between you and the server on all tm servers.
Well... I don't think we have any main form of communication. We do use the forum a lot... ^_^ (I am not downloading any more programs just to communicate).
I'm glad you like this game. Other than that, I think I answered all the questions to the best of my ability. ^_^

Level 13 Human gamer
Posted on August 12, 2006 at 3:20 pm

Thanks for the reply the lag must have been in that LDA server at the time. tried another server did ok. Im not hurtin on bandwith had to on both Ghost Recon and STRONGHOLD2 i warn ppl on downloading them if they have 40gighrd and under i run an 80 in the kids puter 120 in hers because of her job and a 100 mane and a 60 spare in mine. Im more dedicated on my GR and STRONGHOLD than any other game but i need a break evey now and then. But for comm. all of us on GR use TS but to set up a game i use this email PopsOFC@ofcteamgr.com

Level 15 Human Jack-of-all-trades
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on August 21, 2006 at 11:26 am

I've seen people have problems with older version of WinZip and newer versions of WinZipped files, most, if not all of the addon available have been compacted using older versions of zipping programs.

MS WinXP's built in file decompression dll is notoriously unreliable; as a tech, I've seen differnt workstations have problems with the same file, works on some, doesn't work on others.

WinRar seems to be pretty reliable and, I've noted, seems to open zip files quicker than WinZip but I haven't bothered to benchmark it.

Things that can cause lag:
1. Players with non stock flags.
2. Bad routes or highly congested routers between destinations.
3. A/V scans running in the background.
4. Windows Automatic Update (some programs don't notify WinX that they are actually doing something when they run and update kicks on).
5. Spyware (either end); SpyBot Search&Destroy and Adaware are free, use them both or buy one of the commercial products.
6. Congestions on the line (wife streaming Home Depot video, son watching Julia Childs reruns, daughter catching the last episode of Project Runway, etc.,); includes things like poorly subnetted DSL networks, poorly wired connections, old hardware.

Dial up users don't usually cause lag for other players, they get lagged.
Connecting to a server that has a mod or two you don't have might cause you some lag.

Little things you can do to reduce lag before game play:
- Modify A/V software settings to ignore .ent files
- turn off unneeded applications while playing (IM software, tray utilities, etc.,).
- Leave A/V software on, it qualifies as 'needed'
- Keep addons to a minimum, segragate out diffferent packs into their own AddOns folders and then rename them depending on need. Someone, Killier I think, made or host a utility call TM ModPicker.
- Do periodic maintenance tasks (defrag, scan, dump temp files, etc., )
- If you are using DSL, head over to DSLReports and search for 'adjusting MTU', read thoroughly and try an adjustment or two on you router, you can always put it back. You may gain nothing. Test with something like NDT they have a very comprehensive report. I used to use it to keep my ISP honest, they blocked the ports.
- Check the ping rate on the server you are connecting to.

Level 14 Human gamer
Posted on August 21, 2006 at 2:17 pm

On my computer, I rarely have problems with W1nd0w5 XP's zip dll, but I don't use it much anyways. I benchmarked Winrar on my computer, and it unzips/unrars at 300kb/s... Winzip runs at 253kb/s... lovely. ^_^

Level 14 Human wizard
Alignment: Good
Posted on August 21, 2006 at 3:43 pm

On my computer, I rarely have problems with W1nd0w5 XP's zip dll, but I don't use it much anyways. I benchmarked Winrar on my computer, and it unzips/unrars at 300kb/s... Winzip runs at 253kb/s... lovely. ^_^

Do not forget that WinRar can also un-7z archives.

Level 16 Human gamer
Posted on August 22, 2006 at 7:32 am

If you were trying to use an addon on the LDA server, you may of caused the lag. ;)

The LDA server doesn't support any addons.

Level 14 Human gamer
Posted on August 22, 2006 at 2:12 pm

Do not forget that WinRar can also un-7z archives.

I know... also works with .tar.gz,.bz2,.cab,.arj,.lzh,.ace,.tar,.uue,.jar,.iso, and .z. I'm quite aware of them all, but they aren't really used as standards. ^_^

Level 13 Human gamer
Posted on August 22, 2006 at 6:22 pm

Hey thanks for the info all thes the one thing i done while running ghost recon sut almost every thing down but what was needed at time of play. I like to use winrar been useing it 4while now. And isnt dialup a bad word????lmao :lol:

Posted on August 23, 2006 at 2:15 am

This game used to have a lot of dial up players.

Level 13 Human gamer
Posted on August 23, 2006 at 2:48 pm

Theres no way after we went to cable would I ever go back to dialup not even for free :lol:

This game used to have a lot of dial up players.

Level 14 Human gamer
Posted on August 23, 2006 at 9:11 pm

Ditto. I depend on a 3.0mbps connection constantly now. ^_^

Level 14 Human gamer
Posted on August 28, 2006 at 8:07 pm

I could never go back to dial up, if I have to cash in old beer cans to pay for cabel I will.

How come no info on DSL ???? good bad or ugly ! :lol:

Lag is really causing me fits, gets some what confusing, I'm not sure I firedor looking at the right target ! :roll:

Posted on August 29, 2006 at 12:04 am

I run DSL but I pay for 3MBits down 768 up and ten IP addresses. I wouldn't want to play on a stock 126k Verizon Link. I would love to pay $34.00 a month for fiber, but I live two blocks from a Project so they just ran the fiber up my street to the rich neighborhood five north from the new rich Playa Vista Development.

Level 14 Human Shadow
Posted on August 29, 2006 at 7:59 am

I've got stock Verizon DSL and it's 1.5 down, 768 up. Either they upped it or my region just has better.

In comparison, however, their stock connection in NYC is MUCH faster than it is here in Maryland, with the DSL speeds in NYC beating the fiber speeds they offer in Houston, for instance. The whole thing is oh, someone else is offering faster? Well, we can to!