Skip navigation

Factions in "Hegemony: Philip of Macedon"

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > News > Factions in "Hegemony: Philip of Macedon"
Level 22 Extraplanar gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on August 7, 2006 at 10:23 am

This post will introduce the 26 factions that occupy the game world in Hegemony: Philip of Macedon .

Controlling the Kingdom of Macedon, you interact with other factions through espionage, diplomacy and direct military action. Factions include Greek Leagues, Tribal Kingdoms and Empires and are comprised of cities, city-states or tribal states. Members of a particular faction follow the policy of the dominant city or in the case of a tribal kingdom, the King.

The Main Factions in the game are the "Kingdom of Macedon", the "Athenian Empire", the Boeotian League" led by Thebes, the "Lacedaemonians" led by Sparta and the "Persian Empire".

Other Greek City-State Leagues and Kingdoms include the "Thessalian League" led by Larissa, "Pherae", the "Chalcidian League" led by Olynthus, "Phocis", "Achaea", "Arcadia", the "Kingdom of Epirus", "Aetolia", "Acarnania", "Elis", "Argolis", "Corinthia", "Messenia" and "Crete".

The remaining non-Greek speaking Tribal Kingdoms are grouped under the Thracian Kingdoms (Central, Western and Eastern "Odrysian Kingdoms"), the "Paeonians", the "Illyrians", the "Balkan Mountain Tribes" and the "Danube Valley Tribes".

Although factions are autonomous, they may be aligned with other factions through cultural, territorial, or other common interests.

In the Greek World, war is the normal state of affairs. You don't declare war on a faction in Hegemony; you simply invade its territory and attack it. It's not all that simple though. Attacking a faction will provoke responses from other factions with interests in the region, or who simply see your distraction as the opportune time to invade your territories.

Level 14 Human Unaffiliated Game Maker
Alignment: Chaotic
Posted on August 8, 2006 at 5:05 am

Wow, so no way to have peace and alliance with one?

Posted on August 8, 2006 at 7:23 am

In the ancient Greek world the term alliance was used but in a much different way than it is today.

In ancient Greece an alliance was what we would describe as a ceasefire or at best a very shaky non-aggression pact, subject to being broken whenever one side saw an advantage to be gained.

Level 14 Human gamer
Alignment: Chaotic evil
Posted on August 8, 2006 at 11:15 am

Yay chaos and lack of peace!

Level 14 Human Unaffiliated Game Maker
Alignment: Chaotic
Posted on August 9, 2006 at 6:04 am

Great, that's how I play it neways :D

Level 13 Human gamer
Posted on August 12, 2006 at 10:18 am

intresting

Level 12 Human gamer
Posted on July 7, 2007 at 11:42 am

I'm new and all but i have one major problem... the Macedonians wore not Greeks!!! I believe that if you did not point that out the game would be more successful ... i'm no one to comment on that but if you go around Toronto and ask the Macedonians of today I think you will get the answer you need.

P.S. if u need Macedonian symbols u need to look beyond Aegean Macedonia and look further afield.

Posted on July 9, 2007 at 4:47 pm

If you ignore the vitriolic nationalism of modern politics, the weight of historical evidence suggests that the ancient Macedonians first appeared in the shadow of Mt Olympus , and lived or at the very least were absorbed into, the Hellenistic (Greek) culture. So if they started out at the proto-Greek tribal fringe or just the next door neighbors, they ended up Greek-Like (i.e. Hellenized).

We do know that Philip definitely considered himself Greek, directly descended from Herakles (Hercules) through the Temenid Kings of Argos. So, if the ancient Macedonians didn't start out as a fringe-tribe of Greeks, then at the very least they were ruled by a Greek Royal family that encouraged them to become Greek. After all, the post Alexander period was the Hellenistic Age and not the Macedonian Age .

Plus, the modern republic of Macedonia is in what would have been Paeonia at the time of Philip and the Slavic peoples that occupy the area, are first recognized as historically migrating into the area 800+ years after Philip. So why fight over it?

But, taking another view.....If you look at the controversy from a genetic standpoint, a person has only:

1/2 of the genetic material of each of their parents,
1/4 of the genetic material of each of their grandparents,
1/8 of the genetic material of each of their great grandparents,
1/16 of the genetic material of each of their great great grandparents,
1/32 of the genetic material of each of their great great great grandparents....and that's only 5 generations which can occur within 100 years....

We're talking 130+ generations ago or 2300+ years....so after those 2300 years have gone by, the peoples of modern Afghanistan could just as easily have as much genetic material in them from the ancient Macedonians as the peoples from modern Greece or modern Macedonia do....so translating the modern fight between modern Greeks and modern Macedonians into gameplay in Hegemony: Philip of Macedon , does not strike me as being that relevant.

Jim

Level 12 Human gamer
Posted on July 27, 2007 at 6:18 pm

This post will introduce the 26 factions that occupy the game world in Hegemony: Philip of Macedon .

Controlling the Kingdom of Macedon, you interact with other factions through espionage, diplomacy and direct military action. Factions include Greek Leagues, Tribal Kingdoms and Empires and are comprised of cities, city-states or tribal states. Members of a particular faction follow the policy of the dominant city or in the case of a tribal kingdom, the King.

The Main Factions in the game are the "Kingdom of Macedon", the "Athenian Empire", the Boeotian League" led by Thebes, the "Lacedaemonians" led by Sparta and the "Persian Empire".

Other Greek City-State Leagues and Kingdoms include the "Thessalian League" led by Larissa, "Pherae", the "Chalcidian League" led by Olynthus, "Phocis", "Achaea", "Arcadia", the "Kingdom of Epirus", "Aetolia", "Acarnania", "Elis", "Argolis", "Corinthia", "Messenia" and "Crete".

The remaining non-Greek speaking Tribal Kingdoms are grouped under the Thracian Kingdoms (Central, Western and Eastern "Odrysian Kingdoms"), the "Paeonians", the "Illyrians", the "Balkan Mountain Tribes" and the "Danube Valley Tribes".

Hello LDAjim,

My compliments both about the game and for your accurate historical knowledge.

I would like to make from my standpoint a couple of suggestions about factions which you could also make use.

At the time Philip became regent/king of the Argead kingdom, there were also a couple of Macedonian pretenders to the Macedonian throne. One certain Pausanias, supported by Thracians and Argaeus (once served as king of Macedon according to Diodorus) supported by Atheneans. Those two alone had gathered each one a considerable force. Enough according to you so that both or perhaps one of them could be considered as a faction ?

Another suggestion about faction would be the Upper Macedonia. During the known history of Macedonia, there was always rivalry leading to wars between Argead Macedonia and the independent kingdoms of Upper Macedonia (Lyngestis, Elimiotis, Orestis, etc). Remember the wars between Perdiccas/Arrhabaeus, Archelaus/Arrhabaeus, etc. Could Upper Macedonia be considered as a 'faction' or if possible the stronger kingdoms like Lyngestis and Orestis as seperate ones?

Last but not least, i am not familiar with the limits of the game's map but shouldnt be into the Greek world also the Italian Greeks as a 'faction'?

Thanks in advance.

Posted on July 28, 2007 at 9:17 am

Thanks. I'll try to explain some of my design decisions while addressing your comments.

The Pretenders:

To help guide the player we've included a quest system, that is mostly optional, yet designed to give the player guidance and rewards, while adding historical flavor. The initial group of quests (We call each group an Objective .) is called Save The Kingdom and revolves around securing the core areas of Lower Macedonia in the name of the infant king Amyntas IV. The game starts as Philip is declared regent and must deal with five others with blood ties to the royal family that claim the throne, Archelaus, Pausanias, Arrhidaeus, Menelaus and Argaeus. As Argaeus had been a puppet king in the past, controlled by Bardylis, he is the most dangerous.

Thus, I've included the other claimants, but as part of the process of selective simplification I've made them generals of the factions that likely supported them. Archelaus is on his own but is supported by the Illyrians. Pausanias is with the Western Odrysians. I've put Arrhidaeus with the Paeonians and Menelaus in Olynthus. Argaeus shows up with an army of Athenians, making him the most immediate threat after you've brushed aside Archelaus.

The Independent Kingdoms of Upper Macedonia:

The second Objective is to Retake Upper Macedonia which requires Philip to rebuild the army, reclaim the allegiance of the regions of Upper Macedonia and drive Bardylis out of Lyncus. By this time, Philip was showing his many talents and didn't have much trouble gaining the support of the old Upper Macedonian Kingdoms, so I've simplified the process as a reclaiming of allegiance to the king rather than setting them up as separate factions.

Objectives and Gameplay:

These first two Objectives are more linear than the rest of the game as they help guide the player to learn the core concepts of gameplay. When the Retake Upper Macedonia Objective is complete, the rewards include receiving Olympias as a wife (You've gained the confidence of the Molossians), being declared King by the assembly of Macedons and the opening up of a new group of Objectives based around Isocrates' plea to Philip that he become Hegemon and take revenge against the Persian Empire.

The Italian Greeks:

The Greeks of southern Italy and Sicily had little impact on Philip's rise to Hegemony so they were left off the map. If we do a multiplayer derivative based on the Peloponnesian War then we'd definitely map Sicily and probably drop the map areas north of the Rhodopes.

Level 11 Human gamer
Posted on January 8, 2008 at 1:50 pm

In the ancient Greek world the term alliance was used but in a much different way than it is today.

In ancient Greece an alliance was what we would describe as a ceasefire or at best a very shaky non-aggression pact, subject to being broken whenever one side saw an advantage to be gained.

Hi I am new here,congratulations for your in depth study of that era and a game that looks fantastic. I think there were two ttypes of alliance in ancient Greece,the symmachia ,where the two parties agreed to aid each other whenever one of them was invaded by a another faction,and the epimachia ,where they agreed not only to help each other in their defensive but also their offensive wars.
Could you eleborate a bit on how will the alliances work out in the game?Will it be possible to launch a coordinated attack with your allies against a common enemy?
PS have you included Chalkis in the game and if so,will it be part of the Athenian empire?

Posted on January 8, 2008 at 5:30 pm

Thanks. we're trying to do justice to the historical period, while maintaining playability as a game.

This is the best reference I could find which is more specific to the Peloponnesian War but likely still relevant to Philip's time:

http://www.apaclassics.org/AnnualMeeting/02mtg/abstracts/BOLMARCICH.html

The default alliance behavior in the game will be how likely one faction is to come to another's aid against Philip. More specifically, alliances will be triggered through the Quest system, such as Philip being invited by the Thessalian League (Larissa) to assist against the Tyrants of Pherae. Philip (player) will gain control of alliance cities and can mobilize their troops as mercenaries. (It's a simplification.)

For gameplay, we've divided the 300+ cities into 27 factions. The factions have an intrinsic attitude towards Macedonia, which reflects how difficult they are to bride (diplomatic efforts) and how expensive it is to hire mercenaries from their population points.

A lot of cities that weren't that well disposed to Athens, (many independent at this time) are included with the Athenian Empire faction, again to simplify some aspects of design and playability, and trigger AI responses. Thus, all of the cities of Euboea (+Chalkis) are included with the Athenian Empire and Philip should be able to take control of one and hire local mercenaries to cause trouble for the Athenians (somewhat historical).

Having many of the historically independent city states part of the Athenian Empire makes it easier for Athens to roam the seas and make amphibious raids, almost at will, until Philip can secure a fleet and pinch off key port cities.

The player will have freedom to conduct campaigns as they wish, while the Quest system gives and encourages more historical choices.

Jim

Level 11 Human gamer
Posted on January 9, 2008 at 12:30 pm

Turns out I had the meaning of these terms reversed in my head.
Thanks for the info.And may I ask one more thing,what would the victory condition be? To establish the league of Corinth?

Posted on January 9, 2008 at 1:33 pm

Yes, although the victory conditions are a little convoluted (yet intuitive enough once playing). We don't actually use the term quest in the game, but it is easiest for descriptive purposes.

The Quest objective Hegemony is given to you by Isocrates (a reflection of his historical letter to Philip) after Philip has driven Bardylis out of Upper Macedonia and been acclaimed King. (He is initially Regent to the infant Amyntas IV.)

To achieve Hegemony a number of tasks must be completed (some of which are other quest objectives).
-become Archon of the Thessalian League.
-control all twelve votes on the Amphictyonic Council.
-capture the major faction capitals of Athens, Sparta and Thebes.
-control the cities of Corinth, Byzantium and Argos.
-have Philip enter Corinth to form the League of Corinth. (the key task)

Achieving Hegemony is a basic victory. Some additional quests must be completed for a decisive victory (Establishing a Bridgehead) and still more for a supreme victory.

The quests and victory conditions are designed to get the player involved in all areas of the map world, with the core being Hegemony (i.e. the League of Corinth).

Jim

Level 13 Human Cyb0rg tank pil0t:|@- ҉҈҉҈҉-§¹Ç--҉҈҉-
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on January 14, 2008 at 8:27 pm

Ah History Class All over again

Sorry This Was Posted So Late :mrgreen: :wink: :P