Skip navigation

TreadMarks for U3?

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Tread Marks > TreadMarks for U3?
Level 14 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on August 4, 2006 at 8:30 pm

My wife recently got me a new USB memory drive, as my old one got dropped and quit working. The new one she got me is a Memorex which has U3 capability. This means that software can be installed directly to the drive, and run from there. So any computer you plug the thing into can run what's on it.
It's pretty cool, but not any software can be installed to the drive. It has to be modified and tested first.
When I went to the games section of the U3 site, what do you think I found?
http://software.u3.com/Product_Details.aspx?ProductId=79&Selection=4&Lang=en-US
I think TreadMarks for U3 ought to be on the LDA short list. The U3 games section is kind of thin, and LDA is obviously familiar with the technology.
I would pay for TM again, in order to be able to carry it around in my pocket, ready to play on any computer I can access the USB ports on, anywhere I go... :twisted:
I suspect I am not the only one.
And..., the game could be exposed to a new generation of players this way. I see no downside to this, other than that the U3 version of the game may have to lose the Addons folder capability, for portability. Maybe an Addons folder for hardcore players could be populated before or during the install.
Anyone that has one of these drives, and knows of any hacks for, or additional software for them, please get in touch.

[LWA]mELONcRACKER

Level 14 Human Unaffiliated Game Maker
Alignment: Chaotic
Posted on August 5, 2006 at 9:27 am

While I see the advantages of U3, I wouldn't like to re-buy a game just to carry it round. I'd rather just grab myself a data stick to put my saved games on or summat.

Level 16 Human Jack-of-all-trades
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on August 6, 2006 at 2:21 pm

I think what MelonC is talking about is being able to drop in a chair and play a game anywhere; no CDROM to carry around or insert, just a dongle and (Wish I knew how to spell) vwala you are ingame.

One of my favorite things about TM as a software installer is that it plays nice with the OS; no ini files buried in the %osroot% directory so where you install it is literally where you will find it. I wouldn't want to install it on a network drive though unless I had a dedicated backbone for file shares.

I digress.

Level 14 Human gamer
Posted on August 6, 2006 at 5:34 pm

Just for you Vor--- VOILA
:wink:

Level 14 Human gamer
Posted on August 6, 2006 at 7:54 pm

That would be up to LDA but if MC can buy a provisonary licence ... for only each time TM is installed in a different pc... (needs to uninstall program afterwards)
OR
LDA could install a notifier in TM that announces how many times the same copy has been installed in a different pc and sell per/user licenses (at discount) !

Both options would be marketing tools for the game/LDA and like people say... there's no such a thing as bad publicity...

Posted on August 7, 2006 at 4:32 am

That would be up to LDA but if MC can buy a provisonary licence ... for only each time TM is installed in a different pc... (needs to uninstall program afterwards)
OR
LDA could install a notifier in TM that announces how many times the same copy has been installed in a different pc and sell per/user licenses (at discount) !

Both options would be marketing tools for the game/LDA and like people say... there's no such a thing as bad publicity...

If I understand you correctly, then I kind of disagree.

The main problem with windows XP is that you must have a seperate copy for every pc you want it on. I myself happen to have two pcs, so that's double the price. :-/

Level 14 Human gamer
Alignment: Lawful good
Posted on August 7, 2006 at 10:06 am

My family has four.... :P

Posted on August 7, 2006 at 7:13 pm

You're kind of missing my point, if you can run it from the U3 drive, then you only install it once and just make a shortcut or directory dive the drive for the executable.
It may not be what MelonC is looking to get/do but if you could install or have installed on the drive a default installation that you could then drop your addons folder onto, then you could play anywhere.

Posted on August 8, 2006 at 5:07 am

Oh yes, that I understand and like.

In a sense, it would act just like a normal TM directory.

Level 14 Extraplanar Programmer
Posted on August 8, 2006 at 10:53 am

The reason we picked DX-Ball 2 for the U3 drive is because it had the most appeal to their target audience, required the least amount of modifications to the game, and we could build an expansion pack (we're offering Board Pack 2 as a separate purchase), which the U3 guys wanted to test. We were most interested in the opportunity to be an early adopter, so at this point we're probably going to wait to see how well the U3 software does before we dedicate any more time to it. (Any time spent on other projects is less time spent on Hegemony.)

The U3 software is mostly designed to make installing new games easy, with a nice menu, and to work well with the temporary nature of the drive (for instance, it cleans itself up properly if you pull the drive out of the USB slot while you're playing, leaving no temporary files on the host computer). Barring all those niceties, you should be able to get TM to work on any USB drive just by copying your TM folder over to the drive and running the .exe manually; it's just less user friendly.

Level 14 Human gamer
Posted on August 8, 2006 at 10:54 am

yeah, and all he'll need is to put a shortcut of TM.exe on the desktop...

It would be like a TM PLAYER :lol: (for mp3 player)

Posted on August 8, 2006 at 5:02 pm

Well, the whole purpose of putting it on your U3 drive is so that you can play it on any computer (think, say, computer labs, or going to a friend's house), so it's not really useful to put a link on your desktop.

Posted on August 8, 2006 at 8:03 pm

Barring all those niceties, you should be able to get TM to work on any USB drive just by copying your TM folder over to the drive and running the .exe manually; it's just less user friendly.

And GF that we don't make it so that a two year old can do it because otherwise the litigious patrol would crawl up your butte and camp for a year.

Sorry, doing TS for 'Intelligent' users pays a toll on my JOB skills sometimes and letting Lester the half wit stick anything into a hole connected to electricity somehow seems cruel and unusual punishement for those who must clean up after the explosion.

Posted on August 9, 2006 at 6:08 am

Well, the whole purpose of putting it on your U3 drive is so that you can play it on any computer (think, say, computer labs, or going to a friend's house), so it's not really useful to put a link on your desktop.

Or at school or work :D

Posted on August 9, 2006 at 12:00 pm

Sorry, doing TS for 'Intelligent' users pays a toll on my JOB skills sometimes and letting Lester the half wit stick anything into a hole connected to electricity somehow seems cruel and unusual punishement for those who must clean up after the explosion.
That's actually where U3 is useful, because their quality control makes sure that none of the U3 apps ever leave anything behind on the host machine.