Skip navigation

random idea I had...probably couldn't work but...meh..

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Tread Marks > random idea I had...probably couldn't work but...meh..
Level 13 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on August 1, 2006 at 10:03 pm

This was just a passing idea I had.

Treadmarks is in my top 10 best games I've played in my life. I LOVE this game. It is so much fun, it's an awesome concept...I love it!

All that said, it is showing it's age, it never got alot of attention (Which is both a blessing and a curse...) and well..I want to see it suceed.

So, I was thinking about open source stuff, like say, the Freespace 2 engine.
The game is not freeware, but the engine itself is.
Meaning the community gets to upgrade the engine, add all the fun features like dynamic lighting, bump maps, etc...

Could something like this work for tread marks? Where the engine itself is released so it can be updated, and the game sold sepertly? I think it would be a good way to draw attention to an awesome game, and an even better group of developers.

Like I said, probably couldn't work, but I think it would be awesome if we added some features to the engine, even as open GL alot of features can be added. :)

Level 13 Human Unaffiliated Game Maker
Alignment: Chaotic
Posted on August 2, 2006 at 4:32 am

Actualy, I turned on TM again last night to test a mod, and I was utterly amazed. I hadn't played it in ages and I was just racing across a desert with 13 AIs, machine gun stuttering, cannons blasting, engines roaring and flag waving, thinking to myself. Oh my god! This is the greatest ever!!!

And while I do not know whether this is a good idea since there'd be little TM clones everywhere, I was actually thinking how good it would look with things like dynamic lighting and more dust and fog and stuff.

Also: I was wondering, since computers today are far ahead of TM's spec, would it be possible for you guys at LDA to raise the partical limmit a bit, sometimes it gets in the way...

Level 13 Human gamer
Posted on August 2, 2006 at 7:07 am

I don't see why not I recently been playing around with a open source FPS game the engine was a little weak but there was so much you could do with it including mazes so why not lets go for it.

Level 13 Human gamer
Posted on August 2, 2006 at 4:34 pm

in the end it's LDA's call, but yea, shadows, moving treads, dynamic lighting (Think NIGHTTIME MAPS with explosions illluminating things!!)

would just be awesome to add to treadmarks :)

But they are busy with Hegemony: Philip of Macedon, sooo...