Skip navigation

DirectSound vs WaveOut in DX-Ball 2

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Longbow Support > DirectSound vs WaveOut in DX-Ball 2
Level 12 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on July 28, 2006 at 4:46 pm

On my WinXP SP1 DX-Ball 2 fails to detect DirectSound and is using WaveOut method, which is completely unusable due to the long delay. Win98 is OK. The config file has an option to force WaveOut but not the opposite. Other games, including Michael Welch's DX-Ball, work properly.

This will probably mean nothing to you...
My soundcard: Yamaha X-Wave w/ YMF-724 chip. Drivers v5.12.01.5244

Any workarounds apart from rebooting into Win98? 8)

Level 12 Human gamer
Posted on July 28, 2006 at 5:27 pm

right click and properties and put that program in to win 98 mode that may work (no promises)

Level 13 Extraplanar Programmer
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on July 31, 2006 at 2:56 pm

Yeah, Windows 98 compatibility mode should work. Just right-click on the DX-Ball 2 icon and choose Properties. A new window will pop up. Click on the Compatibility tab, then check the Run the program in compatibility mode checkbox and choose Windows 98 in the drop-down box.

You should be able to see if DX-Ball 2 is using WaveOut or not by checking the top-left corner of the title screen. If will either say Audio is using WaveOut or it won't display anything at all if it managed to use DirectSound.

Level 12 Human gamer
Posted on August 1, 2006 at 7:36 pm

Thank you for your replies. :) I will try the compatibility mode thing on my other machine and see if it works. ATM I'm running stripped WinXP installation w/o this feature.

Level 12 Human gamer
Posted on August 18, 2006 at 3:01 am

Problem has been solved by turning on Compatibility Mode.