Skip navigation

New Screenshots & Logistics Overview

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > News > New Screenshots & Logistics Overview
Pages 1 2
Level 14 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on July 28, 2006 at 11:13 am

I thought I may be able to mod that in anyways. I will have a look someday but it goes like this:

Tank is set with a projectile that fires and detonates a realy tiny tiny bit away from the tank. Give this a small splash radius with a strong push and it may propell the tank forward and into the air (if pointed backwards). Then if you keep fireing youd keep going, you'd have to turn the barrel and fire to steer. This WOULD be unstable IF it worked, and I know it's not what you meant Nn9. :D

Still sounds like good fun though airborn treadmarks

Level 14 Human gamer
Alignment: Chaotic
Posted on August 26, 2006 at 11:07 am

Wow, I was looking for news on Hegemony and I guess I found it. Sounds exciting guys!

Question though, I've seen other games try to do this, but will flanking factor into battles?

Level 22 Extraplanar gamer
Posted on August 28, 2006 at 1:25 pm

Flanking will be a decisive factor in battles. Moral will drop when a unit is flanked and drop more when surrounded.

The heavy infantry battlelines (Hoplites and Phalangites) will generally pin each other and it will take time for one side to wear the other down (basically by erosion of moral) to the point where the loser breaks and runs.

Thus, flanking and surrounding movements will be important to efficiently willing battles, by dropping enemy morale (hopefully to the breaking point). When a unit breaks it will drop its weapons and run. If their path is blocked, they will surrender. Thus, flanking and surrounding are also a good way to capture slaves for your mines.

Level 14 Human gamer
Posted on August 28, 2006 at 1:27 pm

Wow, ya floored me, I'm impressed!! So when does the next version of the beta come out?

Posted on August 28, 2006 at 4:47 pm

...when it's ready...likely in a month or two

Jim

Level 14 Human gamer
Posted on August 29, 2006 at 5:12 am

Flanking will be a decisive factor in battles. Moral will drop when a unit is flanked and drop more when surrounded.

The heavy infantry battlelines (Hoplites and Phalangites) will generally pin each other and it will take time for one side to wear the other down (basically by erosion of moral) to the point where the loser breaks and runs.

Thus, flanking and surrounding movements will be important to efficiently willing battles, by dropping enemy morale (hopefully to the breaking point). When a unit breaks it will drop its weapons and run. If their path is blocked, they will surrender. Thus, flanking and surrounding are also a good way to capture slaves for your mines.

Trouble is could this become like every other RTS where person with the most units always wins? like C&C?

Level 14 Human Unaffiliated Game Maker
Posted on August 29, 2006 at 6:07 am

Generaly in a sword vs sheild battle on a large scale, the person with most troops wins. However with a vastly experienced army, vs an army of newbies, the experienced army would obviously have the advantage.

However, if you plot your attacks into many smaller battles, then the smaller army may still have a chance.

Level 14 Human gamer
Posted on August 29, 2006 at 7:47 am

This really does sound like it won't turn into unit mashing. This sounds like you'll be able to try to surround smaller parts of their army in order to route them. To some extent, yes if you see 3 guys guys 100 they will Die, but if its 75 vs 100.... things might turn to your favor.

Posted on August 29, 2006 at 7:49 am

Troop quality, augmented by leadership and maneuvering will be more important than numbers, as you will generally always be outnumbered.

Jim

Level 14 Human gamer
Posted on August 29, 2006 at 7:50 am

Oh, I remembered my other question. When they attack is it dice rolling, or are they really blocking, dodging, ducking...etc If so thats pretty cool, after all, they did many of the battles for LOTR that way on the computer.

Level 14 Extraplanar Programmer
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on August 29, 2006 at 3:50 pm

There's no dice rolls in the fighting, it's just a straight stats crunch, so there's a bigger focus on strategy than chance.

Level 14 Human gamer
Posted on August 29, 2006 at 5:50 pm

There's no dice rolls in the fighting, it's just a straight stats crunch, so there's a bigger focus on strategy than chance.

Rick just a hunch but would it use a system simular to this

Exp of attacker
Exp of defender
Weapon of attacker
Weapon of defender
Shield of defender.

Level 14 Extraplanar Programmer
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on August 29, 2006 at 7:11 pm

Similar. We don't take weapons and armour into account, though, because each unit always has the same weapons and armour, so it's just the attack and defence value of the unit.

There's also more factors than that, but I don't want to list them off before we've balanced the game in fear that I might stick my foot in my mouth.

Posted on August 30, 2006 at 4:09 am

Actualy I recently had an idea for a game where every limb, muscle, bone, skin toughnes and everything about each type of unit was programmed in, so that in this way the computer could figure out all possible ways of injuring opponents.

This would require extreme amouts of AI but the theoretically all creatures in the game would be capabal of anything their virtual physical structure allows for.

Level 14 Human gamer
Alignment: Chaotic evil
Posted on August 30, 2006 at 8:11 am

Wouldn't that cause intense cpu usage beyond playability?

Level 14 Human gamer
Posted on August 30, 2006 at 9:00 am

Probably, unless they were very simple creatures, but still you couldn't have too many.

Posted on August 31, 2006 at 4:29 am

Hey Im talking about the distant future here. It means that rather than things diing when their HP reaches zero, they could die like normal things.

Pages 1 2