Skip navigation

New Screenshots & Logistics Overview

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > News > New Screenshots & Logistics Overview
Pages 1 2
Level 21 Extraplanar gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on July 24, 2006 at 10:00 am

This is the second in a series of posts that will discuss a broad range of topics relating to Hegemony: Philip of Macedon. This post will give an overview of logistics: the management of supply and replacements.

Activities such as camping and the burning of fields are integral to logistics in "Hegemony: Philip of Macedon". Camp to conserve supply and replace losses. Burn fields to deprive the enemy of crops, through punitive raids or a scorched earth defensive policy.

New screen shots have been posted on our Hegemony: Philip of Macedon" pages.

Logistics includes the safe storage and distribution of crops to areas where they will be needed to supply military activities and campaigns.

Logistical planning often dictates military activities, such as the deployment of hoplite brigades to block access to valuable fields, (especially at harvest time when raiders try to plunder the freshly harvested crops).

Logistics can determine the timing of an invasion. Attack during the harvest to deprive the enemy of valuable crops while bolstering your own campaign supply.

Logistical considerations influence questions such as: How large a force can pursue that raiding party without worrying too much about supply? What size and what type of force can I send into that region? How many brigades can I support? How much supply can I funnel through that mountain pass? Which cities should I take to secure my Kingdom and prepare for additional conquests? Where can I garrison that army to best conserve supply while preparing for invasion? Where should I build forts? Should I dismantle the walls of that city or build it up as a major staging point?

Thus it is that logistics forms the core of military planning in "Hegemony: Philip of Macedon".

Level 13 Human gamer
Posted on July 24, 2006 at 11:19 am

This is starting to look good reminds me of an old RPG where you had to rest alot in it.
Is that the basic idea you only get an army of say 100 units and have to take on a large force?

[edited] and if your camping could the enermy spot the fires where you have made camp? [/Edited]

Posted on July 24, 2006 at 1:18 pm

Actually, you don't have to rest at all except that supply is consumed at a higher rate if a unit is moving or even just standing.

Thus, camping is what you do when your brigades will be inactive and there isn't a city or fort nearby to move into, as moving brigades into cities or forts will also reduce their supply requirements and increase the rate of replacements.

As to the visibility of campfires: the smoke will be visible through the fog-of-war.

In our internal design discussions, we decided not to have the campsite persist on the map once you've moved on, as the time compression of the game would tend to make them disappear shortly after being left. That said, we still haven't finalized what trail an army might leave as it moves and how long it will be visible for tracking purposes.

Posted on July 24, 2006 at 1:20 pm

As to your comment "that the basic idea you only get an army of say 100 units…."

The design of Hegemony leans the play toward:
1. creating an elite strike force to conduct invasions with.
2. maintaining a number of smaller regional forces to conduct raids and act as a flexible defense force to counter enemy incursions.
3. hiring a lot of mercenaries for garrison duty.

So although this is definitely not a game of rapid build and Zerg rushes, you will end up managing a lot of units…. …The map is huge and fully accessible.

Level 13 Human gamer
Posted on July 24, 2006 at 5:12 pm

Elite strike forces? I maybe ok on it i've taken down large bases with 2 or 3 units.

and will there be multiplayer?

Level 17 Extraplanar gamer
Posted on July 24, 2006 at 5:48 pm

When Jim is referring to an elite strike force he still means a couple hundred units representing 5000-10000 warriors or more. What makes them elite is that they will be under the control of multiple skilled generals (usually including Philip) so they will be able to move faster and lighter then many of his opponents and move around the country as needed.

The more regional defensive/raiding armies can easily be as large or larger then your strike force and most cities/forts will have troops in garrison to maintain control and deter enemy raiders.

Other than a few specialized units such as generals (who can travel alone but are usually attached to a brigade), the smallest unit of control in Hegemony is the brigade which can consist of anywhere between 10-100 units depending on the brigade class and the number of reinforcements. Multiple brigades can also be linked together into a cohesive army that can be controlled as one or separated again as necessary.

As far as multiplayer is concerned, the initial release will focus on a single player continuous campaign following Philip's conquest of Greece and the surrounding territories.

Level 13 Human Unaffiliated Game Maker
Alignment: Chaotic
Posted on July 25, 2006 at 10:23 am

Wow, this game is the most in-depth RTS ive ever seen.! :D

Level 13 Human gamer
Posted on July 25, 2006 at 2:51 pm

This is clearly gonna blow Age of Empires out the water with its depth.

Level 13 Human gamer
Posted on July 25, 2006 at 8:35 pm

...great job...! and sorry if you already covered these:

- Is the campaigned timed (what's the mission)

Actually, you don't have to rest at all except that supply is consumed at a higher rate if a unit is moving or even just standing.
camps dissapears and supplies are consumed in time... at what rate?

thanks!

Level 14 Extraplanar Programmer
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on July 26, 2006 at 2:12 am

The campaign is not timed. Keep in mind that these aren't little battle-boards like in other strategy games. Your entire campaign is taking place on a single, seamless map that spans Greece. It would be a little odd to say Well, if you don't win the game in under 60 hours, you lose! It's been interesting finding ways to design the game so that it doesn't matter how long the player takes on the large scale.

Time still matters on a smaller scale, though, because you may want to time your attacks with the spring, before your enemy has harvested their crops (assuming you have enough supply of your own, of course).

As far as how fast the units consume their supply, we can't really give you a hard number, for a couple reasons. The first reason is that the numbers we have right now are certainly not final; picking those numbers is part of balancing the gameplay, which is one of the final steps in developing the game. The second reason is there's not a single number; what kind of units you're using and what kind of generals are leading them will contribute to how quickly they consume their supply. It also depends on where you are; if you're within supply-range of one of your cities, you won't have to worry about supplying your troops at all.

As an example of why you would want to camp, let's say you have a brigade of troops behind enemy lines, but they don't have enough numbers to take on the enemy. You'll be able to tell your guys to camp and conserve supply while you wait for some additional units to arrive so you can afford to fight.

Posted on July 26, 2006 at 9:05 am

o_o wow, I feel like I was just hit with a brick.

Level 12 Human gamer
Posted on July 26, 2006 at 11:38 am

blackadder hits 2ndself over the head with a brick, now you have

Posted on July 26, 2006 at 12:30 pm

Hey guys, try to keep this thread on topic >;)

Level 13 Human gamer
Posted on July 26, 2006 at 12:33 pm

blackadder hits 2ndself over the head with a brick, now you have

If you want to spam go to the general forum thats why its there i think.

Level 13 Human gamer
Posted on July 26, 2006 at 3:36 pm

hmm a real strategy game with variants and everything... cool...!

I know this is off-subject but how about including TM in the release of the game for marketing purposes? (just an idea)...

I think I'll just wait for all logistic releases (information about the game) before I ask anything else!! :D

Keep up the good work!...

Posted on July 27, 2006 at 5:59 am

hmm a real strategy game with variants and everything... cool...!

I know this is off-subject but how about including TM in the release of the game for marketing purposes? (just an idea)...

I think I'll just wait for all logistic releases (information about the game) before I ask anything else!! :D

Keep up the good work!...

Actualy thats a brilliant idea, inculed a DEMO of TM on the disk!!! :D

RICK! I hope you're listening! :P

Level 13 Human gamer
Posted on July 27, 2006 at 11:53 am

a demo of Tm maybe a good idea now you mention it.

What are you thinking of working on after this?

Posted on July 27, 2006 at 4:55 pm

There's a very strong possibility that we'll include all our demos on the CD release of Hegemony.

We're still not sure what we're working on after Hegemony releases. Rest assured, we're not low on ideas.

Level 13 Human gamer
Posted on July 27, 2006 at 5:23 pm

There's a very strong possibility that we'll include all our demos on the CD release of Hegemony.

We're still not sure what we're working on after Hegemony releases. Rest assured, we're not low on ideas.

Have you thought of converting the treadmarks idea to flying thingys?

Posted on July 28, 2006 at 8:18 am

I thought I may be able to mod that in anyways. I will have a look someday but it goes like this:

Tank is set with a projectile that fires and detonates a realy tiny tiny bit away from the tank. Give this a small splash radius with a strong push and it may propell the tank forward and into the air (if pointed backwards). Then if you keep fireing youd keep going, you'd have to turn the barrel and fire to steer. This WOULD be unstable IF it worked, and I know it's not what you meant Nn9. :D

Pages 1 2