Skip navigation

SERVER IDEAS

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Tread Marks > SERVER IDEAS
Level 14 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on July 17, 2006 at 1:28 pm

First of all, please don't spam this thread.

Just in case anyone is interested in setting up servers or tell us how to do it, I think it would be cool if:

- (points would be better but frags will do). A race server-like with damaged tanks through the path and weapons you pick (1 shot for each tank) where 1 shot should be sufficient to take the tank down or 2 120mm (in case of a miss). It could be timed and the number of frags will set the frag limit off (map reload)

- A skill server where you need to shoot strategically to complete the map (dirt balls to be able to jump over obstacles), mass drivers to move a tank out of the way, machine gun to take a tank down from far away, nukes to get a lot of tanks out of the way... time limited.

- A sniper server, with plasma balls and mass drivers.... >:) just one spawn point and many tanks around (far away) frag limited (timed)

- a TDM server (where you claim the spawn point (Battlefield like) 5 spawn points, if you capture all points you win...

I guess I'm not sure the capabilities of the game or how easy would it be to set this up... ? any clues... ? any links I should read? (specific links not databases please)...

Thanks!

Level 14 Human Sr Code Monkey
Alignment: Chaotic
Location: lost in the evil lands, of soccer-mom piloted minivans....
Posted on July 17, 2006 at 6:57 pm

By order of your bullet points:

1 - That would be very laggy, but possible. Depends on what you mean by damaged tanks. If they're just meshes, then its simple.

2 - The only way you can do this is as a race map. It would be very tricky, and the AI's aould be useless. You would also need to assure that the weapons are spawned where they're needed, or close by. This is of course impossible to do as a standard spawn point. You would need to make a custom projectile that would spawn a weapon, and a spewer which would spawn another of the same projectile after a period of time. Can you say, LAAAAAAAGGY?

3 - Something similar was done before. But plasma balls everywhere equals, yes you guessed it, a healthy slice of lag.

4 - Not possible

Level 14 Human gamer
Posted on July 17, 2006 at 8:34 pm

I think what he means by damaged tanks is a tank with out its turret that can only use bolt on weapons... right? I have a tank im working on that does that and i have to say, it is no fun. If you dont have a main gun your screwed it dont matter how fast or how much armore you have.

Level 14 Human gamer
Posted on July 18, 2006 at 2:04 am

Thanks for responding KILLER & TBI-NEMESIS :

1. by damaged I meant a tank with low health or armor that can be taken out with 1 shot (with the weapon that you're supposed to use)...

I guess I should ask... can you control the weapons and ammo you want a spawn point to spawn? and... can you set dummy tanks (low armor) around the map to continue to spawn (training map like) and....where can I can read to do stuff like that?...

It would be cool to have a skills course with little tasks, timed and perhaps with unexpected missions...lol

Level 13 Human Unaffiliated Game Maker
Posted on July 18, 2006 at 10:36 am

Nice ideas, just a little over the abilities of the game. :wink:

Level 14 Human gamer
Posted on July 18, 2006 at 5:47 pm

OK, Damaged tanks that's easy just create a projectile that spawns with the tank, above it more like so it lands on it. id set it to .8 or .7 damage so that it leaves enough damage for one tank round. You could also change that tank files so that you only get .2 armor but it will show on the GUI as 100 health (this means no fire of course.)

Dummy tank spawns, that is easy too there is a pawn point in the course folder labeled TankCheckPoint You can edit this so that it spawns your tank with low armor or more armor. Of course you will need to make this tank(just the ent any way)

Same thing goes with the weapons, they always spawn at there spawn point; you can change how fast they spawn and how close you have to be to pick it up. You can also chose a specific weapon to spawn. The spawn point can spawn any thing. Of course a tank spawns there to. :wink:

Correct me if im wrong on this guys, but i think I am right.

Level 14 Human Shadow
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on July 18, 2006 at 7:21 pm

Perhaps a race server with some of Killer's turret tanks that shoot anything that passes by them. Might be fun :)

Posted on July 18, 2006 at 8:55 pm

The problem is that damage tanks regenerate thier points on a race map.

You can spawn anything you want on a spawn point. But spawn points become check points on a race track, so you can't just put them anywhere. they would need to be placed carefully. Also you would need to design the map so that it can be completed without the use of weapons, since AI tanks would get 'stuck' in traps.

hehehe, my pot-shot turrets :D

I pulled them from TeamCTF since they chew up a map bigtime.

Level 14 Human gamer
Posted on July 18, 2006 at 10:00 pm

yeah, you are right they do regenerate there health but there is that lovely line that one could insert. HealthRegen one could insert this into the tanks as 0 and it should work. But all this meas editing the ent files and having the projectile spawn with the tank in the first place would only create more lag.

I never saw these turret things... They sound really cool. I attempted something that a spewer that did something similar but it never really worked properly.

Posted on July 19, 2006 at 12:32 am

They're a part of my TeamCTF mod. Basically they are immobile AI tanks. ;) Here's the hidden link:

http://www.omnilinkavstudios.com/treadmarks/main.php?page=TCTF/tankdata.php&group=TCTF&uid=Gun%20Tower&

YOu can get to the regular site via:
http://www.omnilinkavstudios.com/treadmarks/main.php?page=TCTF/into_index.php&group=TCTF&uid=&

Level 14 Human Shadow
Posted on July 19, 2006 at 7:49 am

Well, a simple fix to stop them from chewing up the map would be to have another projectile type set for their default, one that doesn't terrain deform, such as 120mm Terrain Keeper

Level 13 Human Unaffiliated Game Maker
Posted on July 19, 2006 at 11:50 am

:D Wow, that looks cool :P I have to d-load that

Level 13 Human Cyb0rg tank pil0t:|@- ҉҈҉҈҉-§¹Ç--҉҈҉-
Posted on July 23, 2006 at 5:47 pm

How About A 99 Tank Death Match With Tons Of Nuke Weapons And Tough Tanks With High Health And Absoltely No Teams

Posted on July 24, 2006 at 7:48 pm

you won't even hit the ground.

Not because you'll get fragged immediatly, but the server will lag so bad, you'll be lucky to even be able to log in. (This sick puppy tried that)

But you ca try my armageddon server, which I'll be putting up shortly. You'll need to dl a pack for it:

http://www.omnilinkavstudios.com/treadmarks/main.php?page=BJS/downloads_ServerPacks.php&group=BJS&uid=&

unzip to the directory which contains the addons folder (not in the addons folder).

THen switch the name of the armageddon folder to addons when you want to play, and switch back when your done. I'll be on as well.

(or you can try to use my addons fodler selection tool dlable from: http://www.omnilinkavstudios.com/treadmarks/main.php?page=BJS/downloads_Tools.php&group=BJS&uid=& )

Enjoy!

Level 13 Human Cyb0rg tank pil0t:|@- ҉҈҉҈҉-§¹Ç--҉҈҉-
Posted on July 24, 2006 at 8:10 pm

Ya KiLlEr I Was Thinking It Would Be Really Lagy.The Reason That I Know It Would Be Slow Is When You Select The Options In Single Player Mode You Can Select Up To 99 Tanks. BUT IT IS SO SLOW........ So I Would Go With 3 Player Ais On Each Team 1 And 2.With All Guns And A Tough Level With A Bunch Of Guard Towers And You Would Have To Go In Beetween Them To Attack The Human Players And Ai Player