Skip navigation

LOW PARTICIPATION - ALTERNATIVE SOLUTION

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Tread Marks > LOW PARTICIPATION - ALTERNATIVE SOLUTION
Level 14 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on June 27, 2006 at 5:22 pm

Due to low participation in clan battles, >CAT<members are willing to:

1. Split the clan in two (just for the battles, CAT1 and CAT2 teams)
2. Have people camping and not shooting (problem with this is that if you shoot we'll shoot back)
3. Listen to suggestions

The main reason why we all show up is because we like the game, all we want is to play it... option #2 is not my favorite but we can always rotate :roll:

ANY IDEAS?> CLUES?> SUGGESTIONS?>

Level 16 Human gamer
Posted on June 27, 2006 at 6:23 pm

How about first come first serve. How many CATS are showing up anyways?

Level 14 Human gamer
Posted on June 27, 2006 at 7:30 pm

Level 14 Human gamer
Alignment: Chaotic
Posted on June 27, 2006 at 8:43 pm

Pab, of your ideas:

1. I like this one the most. If your guys want to do this, fine with me. I'd rather see you all on one team, but it's your decision.
2. I hate this idea. If someone is on the server, I want to see them playing. And besides, I don't choose who my guided missles target, so waiting to be attacked before fighting is pointless when i'm on the other side of the map.
3. I don't have any ideas of my own. Like I said, i'd rather you all continue to play on the same team, and continue to field all your clan members. I'm there to play, and do my best. CAT wins every round because they have the most players? Big deal, I still know I played my best.

Level 15 Human Jack-of-all-trades
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on June 28, 2006 at 2:53 pm

KV,

I think the issue here for us is that we want those few still showing to feel like they have a fighting chance in the monthly meets to win a round with the team they field.

If six CATs suck at 60 frags total, what recompense the CLAN that fields three and racks up 59?

No, we don't want to not show but if our full showing reduces participation by other teams, what is the point? Yes, we would love to see all the CLANs field a full squad but that isn't happening.

We know that TM is long in the tooth developmentally and it doesn't look like LDA has plans to revise that situation. We still love the game and want to play it, we also want those who play against us to keep coming. So, when the CLAN battles occur, we are seeking some kind of balance.

Level 14 Human Shadow
Posted on June 28, 2006 at 5:26 pm

I think the better way would be a weighted average frag count. I sent this idea to Pablito a month ago, but he said it was too complicated for most people to understand :)

-> All clans get 4 people base. These frags count at 100%.
-> Every tank after the 4th tank frags count using the following equation:
Frags*4/(Total Clan Tanks + 4)

Thus, if a clan has 5 tanks, the end formula would be:

First 4 tanks (as a percent of total frags):
a = Sum(frags)*4/(num_tanks)
Remaining tanks (as a percent of total frags):
b = (Sum(frags) - a)*4/(num_tanks + 4)

Total = a+b

Simple, right? :D

Level 16 Human gamer
Posted on June 28, 2006 at 7:33 pm

No the formula hurts the CAT clan twice.

Level 14 Human gamer
Posted on June 28, 2006 at 9:32 pm

Kv I feel the same way if we show than we should play! However it is really unfair playing field with 1 clan having 6 members and other clans having 1 - 2 or three players.

It should be fair competion for all, it's like having 3 DH's in baseball, not a good idea. Or playing the field with only 6 players!

Our main concern is to have TM be around a bit longer, and have the fun enjoyment the game gives us all.

I made a suggestion to the >CATS< that we rotate, if we have a macth with one clan fielding 3 another 2 than of the 6 member clan 3 sit on a hill and wacthes the battle, than rotate! Of course we do not frag the hill gang!

I feel that we should all make a max effort to get other players to join a clan, lets start recruiting program some of the new players and the old salts. Again our objective is to keep TM strong so it dosn't fall by the way side.

I have always felt and Pab has, that new plyers get some leway while learning the game. As we all know TM can be very frustrating, which causes newbies to jump ship! Some of you guys are really deadly accurate in frag scores{not me sigh} and new people just give up!

As VTB said us CATS want every one to have fun and enjoy the game no matter what the frag count is.....ok tha is my 2 cents worth !

Level 14 Human Shadow
Posted on June 29, 2006 at 12:29 am

First 4 tanks (as a percent of total frags):
a = Sum(frags)*4/(num_tanks)
Remaining tanks (as a percent of total frags):
b = (Sum(frags) - a)*4/(num_tanks + 4)

Total = a+b

Simple, right? :D

Ok, lets give a following score method:

Team 1 scores: 14, 16, 17, 23 (total: 70)
Team 2 scores: 12, 17, 19, 20, 21, 29 (total: 118)

A straight average * 4:
Team 1: 70/4*4 = 70
Team 2: 118/6*4 = 78.67

Running it through the calculation:
Team 1: 70*4/4+0*4/4 = 70
Team 2: 118*4/6+(118-118*4/6)*4/10
= 78.67 + (118-78.67) * 4/10
= 78.67 + 36.33 * 4/10
= 78.67 + 14.53
= 93.20

Final scores after various methods:
Team 1:
Raw: 70
Average: 70
Calculation: 70

Team 2:
Raw: 118
Average: 78.67
Calculation: 93.20

Thus, unlike what Coax said, the calculation decreases the level of advantage without eliminating it. This provides the benifit of saying to a clan, more people is better, so long as they don't hurt the team average, yet at the same time doesn't make the smaller clans have to overtake CAT on average scores by as wide a margin.

--RC

Level 14 Human gamer
Posted on June 29, 2006 at 3:17 am

I think yor method works well RC. If I get this right, you want to average the player count correlated with their frag count and find a percentage score...
but:
1. are you going to keep track of those calcuations every battle? ('cause I ain't :lol: )
2. It would depend ONLY on the frag quantity (other clan team mates will be really fragging each other)
3. ..still seems complicated... :P
4. It's fun to see the results right away and while playing... not calculating the best average :(
It seems like a good method though RC...

If people want the challenge, why not just take the total frag/death percentage score per team? (like from the sheet I made), the only problem would be that 1 person could win it all... lol.

We are not taking the winning part so seriously... just the experience ;)

Level 14 Human gamer
Posted on June 29, 2006 at 11:06 pm

:? MMMMMMM........I'm lost, just work some thing out so that we have a even playing field!

With that math ...you can count me out for score keeper ! :cry: :roll:

Baseball-hockey now I can do that :lol: :lol: :lol:

Level 16 Human gamer
Posted on June 30, 2006 at 2:58 am

You could do an even simpler formula and only include the top 4 scores for each person in a clan. Since the amount of frags you get personally is more dependent on your skill then the quantity of other clan members you have with you. That way a clan could field as many players as they like.

Typical physicist, making things unnecessarily complicated. :P

Level 14 Human gamer
Posted on June 30, 2006 at 11:55 am

That's a good idea too Coaxs, the only thing is that it's fun to watch the positions as you play...

I think the easiest solution would be to match the highest count of people in one clan and have the rest play in another team (color) to promote challenge...

BTW: Kv... what color should we pick or can we take chrome? (for CAT2 team)

Level 14 Human gamer
Alignment: Chaotic
Posted on June 30, 2006 at 4:15 pm

pick any color not currently in use.

Level 14 Human gamer
Alignment: Chaotic evil
Posted on July 1, 2006 at 11:47 pm

Wait... what if it is all based on the number of frags? Like for example, Team A got 14, B got 16, and C got 20... the Total would be 40. With that in mind, could the rank be determined by the ratio of that? So
A=14/40=35%
B=16/40=40%
C=20/40=50%
Would that get anywhere or would that be useless/repetitive?

Level 14 Human Shadow
Posted on July 2, 2006 at 9:56 am

pick any color not currently in use.

I still demand that you remove the squatter of Gold so that Gold Ant can have their own color! :twisted:

Level 14 Human Shadow
Posted on July 2, 2006 at 10:02 am

Another, simpler, idea to count frags is a percentage basis:

First 4 tanks are free.
For each tank over 4, total frags is 90% per tank of actual total.

Thus, if a team has 4 tanks, their score is:
Frags = RawFrags

Thus, if a team has 5 tanks, their score is:
Frags = RawFrags * 0.9^1 = RawFrags * 0.9

Thus, if a team has 6 tanks, their score is:
Frags = RawFrags * 0.9^2 = RawFrags * 0.81

Thus, if a team has 7 tanks, their score is:
Frags = RawFrags * 0.9^3 = RawFrags * 0.729

If every tank got 10 points (so that raw frags were 40, 50, 60, 70 per each team) the final score would be:

4 tanks / 40 frags: 40
5 tanks / 50 frags: 45
6 tanks / 60 frags: 48.6
7 tanks / 70 frags: 51.03

Much simpler calculation than my original idea :)

Level 14 Human Shadow
Posted on July 2, 2006 at 10:41 am

Yet another suggestion:

Cat has plenty of players. Perhaps we can split their rankings into CAT1 and CAT2 and each game that has more than 5 players CAT splits into two teams: 1 and 2. These two teams then score toward the rankings of their own independent ranking group.

Level 16 Human gamer
Posted on July 3, 2006 at 12:22 am

Just using the scores for the top 4 fragers per clan seems the easiest.

Level 15 Human Jack-of-all-trades
Posted on July 4, 2006 at 12:55 pm

Take the top score and the worst score including deaths, add the frags, subtract the deaths and divide by two. That ought to mess with the standings.