Skip navigation

RBT Server Performance decreasing over time?

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Arcade Games > RBT Server Performance decreasing over time?
Level 14 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on June 15, 2006 at 8:36 am

Is LDA trying to kill off RBT with poor performance?

Level 14 Human gamer
Posted on June 15, 2006 at 9:48 am

As RBT gets more popular it will lag more and more.
maybe kicking people that no longer play might help.

Level 14 Human gamer
Alignment: Chaotic evil
Posted on June 15, 2006 at 10:01 am

I believe LDA has a 100mbps connection, all shared by Tread Marks, Rival Ball, and Rival Ball Tournament. From what I know, RB barely takes up bandwidth, TM takes up more bandwidth, but not too many people play at the same time, and RBT uses a lot of bandwidth for each game. I would expect the reason as stated by NN9 is plausible because it takes up so much bandwidth. Speaking of which, does rbt run through TCP or UDP packets?

Level 14 Extraplanar Programmer
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on June 15, 2006 at 3:44 pm

UDP. Things happen so quickly in RBT (compared to, say, a first person shooter, or Tread Marks) that we needed to take as many optimizations as we could get.

And I assure you, we're not trying to kill RBT.

Level 14 Human gamer
Posted on June 15, 2006 at 5:48 pm

Hmmm... is there any possible way to have a Three way handshake using TCP, then switch over to UDP for live packet sending? Just a thought...

Level 14 Extraplanar Programmer
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on June 15, 2006 at 11:58 pm

I don't think that would work, but there's not really any reason to do that. Were you wondering if it could be a solution to the problem some people have with hosting games behind a firewall?

The way the RBT connection works with by a technique called UDP Hole Punching . To make the connection faster, we cut our servers out of the loop whenever possible and connect the players directly to each other, so instead of:

Player A -> LDA -> Player B
Player A <- LDA <- Player B

you get:

Player A -> Player B
Player B <- Player A

But it's tricky to get that working when people are behind routers, so what UDP hole punching does is one of the players sends packets to our servers, and the routers (usually) leave the port open for receiving packets. So the connection works more like this:

Opponent: Hi LDA, I'm ready to connect to the host.
LDA: Hi Host, Opponent has her port open, here's her IP address.
Host: Hi Opponent, nice to meet you!
Opponent: Hi Host, let's play!
LDA: You two look great together.

Level 14 Human gamer
Posted on June 16, 2006 at 12:33 am

Ah, so the LDA server acts more like a third party route to get the connection to go through. Since both comps recognize the third party (LDA), they send to lda. Now, lda sends packets to the two comps, but the return address for the reply is to each other's comp. This allows a direct connection, so it will go faster. A triangle of data flow... nice. I think i've been listening to steve gibson's Security Now! podcasts a bit too much... XD

Level 14 Human gamer
Posted on June 27, 2006 at 8:43 am

This situation is still unacceptable.