Skip navigation

Having a problem with hosting games in RBT

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Longbow Support > Having a problem with hosting games in RBT
Level 13 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on May 23, 2006 at 7:40 pm

Whenever I'm hosting a game and a player joins, the game won't start. I get this error message. I forget what it says, it happens right when the game is supposed to start. I'm thinking it could be my internet connection but if it is then why do I have no problems when joining a game hosted by another player?

Level 13 Human gamer
Posted on May 24, 2006 at 9:23 am

Whenever I'm hosting a game and a player joins, the game won't start. I get this error message. I forget what it says, it happens right when the game is supposed to start. I'm thinking it could be my internet connection but if it is then why do I have no problems when joining a game hosted by another player?

ok does it say something to do with cannot connect to player? if so i think its a firewall problem.

Level 13 Extraplanar Programmer
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on May 24, 2006 at 12:27 pm

This is usually a problem with the router. We use a little trick to connect the two players directly to each other instead of routing it through our servers (for speed), but in rare cases this sometimes doesn't work.

You can manually set up your router to make this work, but you'll need to know how to configure it. The easiest way is to go into your router configuration and forward ports 24200 through 24216 to the machine you play on. It should also work if you only forward one of the ports in the range, but it may cause a delay when starting your game.

If you need finer control over what ports are used (in almost all cases this is purely optional), you can do that in the registry. Under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Longbow Digital Arts\Rival Ball Tournament there's two pertinent keys: Client Port and Client Port Offset . By default, these are set to 24200 and 17, respectively, which means RBT will pick a port between 24200 and up to (but not including) 24200 + 17. So if you want to make sure it uses port 24200 and only 24200, you can change the Client Port Offset to 1.

If you have any trouble, let me know the make and model of your router and I'll see what I can do.

Level 14 Human gamer
Posted on May 25, 2006 at 5:33 pm

i have a netgear router.

model number wgr614 v6

any help configurring so i can host games again would be a great help.

additionally,i have to reinstall my expansion pack and cant seem to find my original email order .if you can help with that also it would be great.

thanks

TUCK

Level 13 Human gamer
Posted on May 25, 2006 at 6:34 pm

Ok, I don't know much about routers or ports. All I know about a router is that it connects me to the internet. How do I go into my router configuration? By the way I've tried to host about 6 games and while most of them didn't work, I don't think I had problems hosting the 1st game.

Posted on May 25, 2006 at 10:25 pm

First, for Andrew, I can walk you through it, but you need to let me know the make and model of your router.

For Tuck, here's the steps you need to do (I'm getting all this from your router's manual, under Configuring Port Triggering ):
* Open a browser window and type http://www.routerlogin.net .
* A password prompt should pop up; your username is admin and your password is password .
* In the left column, you should see a link that says Port Forwarding/Port Triggering ; click on it.
* Select the Port Triggering radio button.
* Make sure the Disable Port Triggering checkbox is cleared, and that the tiemout field is above zero.
* Click the Add Service button.
* On the new page, enter RBT under Service Name , Any for the Service User, UDP for the service type and connection type, and 24200 for the triggering port, starting port, and ending port.
Hopefully that'll work for you.

Level 11 Human Serial Humanely!
Alignment: Chaotic evil
Posted on February 1, 2008 at 11:20 pm

Rick +the Brand of my router is ZyXEL.!!!

Posted on February 1, 2008 at 11:56 pm

Instructions for a ZyXEL router

In your browser, type 192.168.1.1 into your location bar. This should take you to the configuration for your router. By default, your user name is admin and your password is 1234 .

Click the NAT link near the centre of the page.

On the new page, there should be a list of three options, None , SUA , and Full Feature . SUA is the default, so it should be selected. If it's not selected, then making the changes I'm about to talk about might negatively affect your network, so you should find somebody who knows what they're doing (like the person who changed this setting on your router!).

Click on the Edit Details link next to SUA .

Now you should see a table of forwarded ports, with each line giving the option of Start Port No. , End Port No. , and IP Address . Pick one of the empty lines and enter 24200 for the Start Port No. field and 24216 for the End Port No. field.

Before hitting Save , you still need to enter the IP address of the computer you play RBT on. To find out your IP address, press the Windows key and the R key on your keyboard simultaneously. This will open a Run... window. Type cmd in that window and press enter. Now a black window will open up with some text in it. In that new window, type ipconfig . Look for a line that starts with IPv4 Address or IP Address . The number following this will probably start with 192.168 . Take this whole number and enter it into the IP Address section in the form.

Press Save and things should work nicely for you.

If it ever stops working for you, check to make sure that the IP Address of you computer hasn't changed (open the cmd window and type ipconfig , like before). If it has, then you can either update the setting in your router, or set your computer up to use a static IP address. You can find out more about the here.

Posted on February 2, 2008 at 10:55 pm

Rick,, well where can i find the funsion * * NAT, !! And,,,, also want to find the site where she can write the key and the user: Example (Admind) - (1234) WHERE IS!

Posted on February 5, 2008 at 3:30 am

Did you go to http://192.168.1.1 ?

Posted on February 5, 2008 at 2:10 pm

Tell me where I can set up

in

Network,

VoiP,

Security,

management,

maintenance,

I what choose option? tell me.

Posted on February 5, 2008 at 6:30 pm

What is the model number of your router?

Posted on February 5, 2008 at 7:02 pm

is EQ-660R

Posted on February 6, 2008 at 1:26 am

I'm not sure where you're seeing the options you gave me. Here is a site with some screen shots of what you should be seeing.

Posted on February 6, 2008 at 4:51 pm

This is my router,