Skip navigation

Particle Fire 2 not working...

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Longbow Support > Particle Fire 2 not working...
Level 13 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on May 22, 2006 at 11:13 am

I am having a problem with PF2 and Windows XP Pro SP2. Even on a fresh install of XP, I can install, register, and configure PF2 with no problems, but the screensaver never activates. I have tried messing with time until the screensaver activates, but it never does. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Tim

Level 13 Human wizard
Alignment: Good
Posted on May 22, 2006 at 8:32 pm

You may not have the latest version of Particle Fire II. Try download the latest version of Particle Fire II, install it, and then (if it requires) enter your registration code. You may need to scan the install first before activating it just in case something leaks through.

Level 13 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on May 22, 2006 at 10:40 pm

Casper,

Thank you for the reply. Unfortunately this did not fix the problem. I did discover something else though. When I have the Display Properties open to the Screensaver tab I can select PF2 and do a preview and it works fine. If I close the Display Properties window and then open it right back up the screensaver selection is set to None . Any ideas on that?

Thanks,

Tim

Level 13 Extraplanar Programmer
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on May 23, 2006 at 2:37 pm

When you select the screensaver, try hitting the Apply button and see if that helps. Does it give you an error message?

If it doesn't give you an error message, and it still doesn't 'stick', here's a couple things you can try:
* Open the My Computer icon from your desktop, then navigate to C:\Windows\system32 (depending on your version of Windows, it may be C:\WINNT\system32 instead). Somewhere along the line it may give you a warning message about how you're doing something dangerous, but just hit Show Files . When you get to the system32 folder, look for a file called Particle Fire 2.scr ; right click on that file and choose Install . Now see if that sticks.
* If that doesn't work, try renaming the file Particle Fire 2.scr to ParticleFire2.scr , that is, without the spaces (if it looks like it's called Particle Fire 2 , without the .scr , then just rename it to ParticleFire2 ). Now go into the screensaver properties and see if you can get it to stick.
* If that still doesn't work, let me know what version of Windows you have; there's still a few things we can try.Let me know if you have any problems, or if it works, let me know which solution did it for you.

Cheers.