Skip navigation

TM slowdown/lockup

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Longbow Support > TM slowdown/lockup
Pages 1 2
Level 14 Extraplanar Programmer
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on May 31, 2006 at 1:48 pm

Well, if the fan's not spinning that's pretty good evidence pointing toward overheating.

Although, if you need an excuse to buy a new video card, I can corroborate the broken video card theory >;)

Level 14 Human Shadow
Posted on June 1, 2006 at 5:59 am

Also, you can get a 6200 for $39 from Newegg. It's far from top of the line, but also far better than what you have.

$20 for a fan or $40 for a vid card upgrade. Hmmm. :)

Level 14 Human gamer
Alignment: Chaotic evil
Posted on June 1, 2006 at 9:00 am

I would also recommend the 6600 chipset... if you are planning to future-proof your comp and are aiming for the illusive SLI... of course... you have to make the decision of pci-express or agp 8x...

Level 14 Human gamer
Alignment: Chaotic
Posted on June 1, 2006 at 10:41 am

I would also recommend the 6600 chipset... if you are planning to future-proof your comp and are aiming for the illusive SLI... of course... you have to make the decision of pci-express or agp 8x...

SLI isn't an option, all my slots are full, and as i'm only looking to find something to keep this system running for about another year... agp is what I have, and agp is what i'm gonna get.

ok, need some opinions:

this: (BFG 6200OC removed for being overpriced)
vs. this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130262
vs. this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814127164
vs. this: (AOpen 6600 removed for lacking an extra power connector)
vs. this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814145112
(yeah, basically all the same card)
vs. this beast: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814150157

looking for opinions on power vs. price, how much bang for my buck am I getting?

and for anyone interested, my PC: http://home.woh.rr.com/kvorlon/DSC01886s.jpg

Posted on June 1, 2006 at 3:34 pm

I'm using the BFG 6200 OC at the office right now, and it's generally good enough, but it's way too expensive on the page you linked. Now the the prices have gone down, I'd lean toward at least a 6600.

Level 14 Human Shadow
Posted on June 1, 2006 at 5:23 pm

We just grabbed an EVGA GeForce 6200 card at the office the other day. We aren't exactly playing games with it though - it was the cheapest 2-connector card by a decent brand - and it was for a dual monitor system.

Level 14 Human Shadow
Posted on June 1, 2006 at 8:06 pm

Ok, here is the roundup of those cards:

eVGA card is a 6600LE. The 6600LE will run at HALF the speed of the 6600. It's been handicaped by having it's pipelines cut from 8 to 4, effectively having it's speed.

The Chaintech and MSI cards are the 6600. Fine cards and brands, both.

The XFX card is a 6800XT, a handicapped version of the 6800 series chip. It has 8 pixel pipelines rather than the 12 standard on the mainline 6800, effectively cutting it's speed by 1/3rd. It is also barely faster than the 6600 chip - only 25MHz faster and 1 extra vertex shader (4 instead of 3). It's memory runs much faster than the 6600 by default, but since nVidia only manufactures the chip, it's up to each vender to pick a memory speed, and many pick lower than the chips capable of, so I wouldn't rely on that.

----

Another option, you didn't mention, was the LeadTek 6600GT which is quite a bit faster than the 6800XT and 6800LE chips, though it doesn't match the 6800 or 6800GT chips. It's also cheaper than the 6800XT you mentioned, and LeadTek is a good brand, though not commonly found here in the US. It enjoys strong support in other areas of the world, though.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814122206

--RC

Level 15 Human Jack-of-all-trades
Posted on June 3, 2006 at 4:13 pm

Hi KV,

I took a look at your system case and I would like to make a few suggestions based on being an anal-retent and someone who likes to leverage his equipment life well beyond what one should.

1. Change out the power supply to a multi-fan unit, 500W;
Antec Phantom 500 will give you future upgrade service.
Antec NeoHE 500 will also give future upgrade service.

2. If you are going to keep that case; change that (?)80mm fan out for a 92mm unit Antec SmartCool case fans.

3. Replace your chipset cooler with with something a little bigger, I didnt' read back through the post to figure out if you have a Northbridge or Southbridge cooler but, I would change out yours for a bigger one. Doesn't need to be a fan driven unit and in fact I wouldn't get one with a fan because they are way too loud.

4. Miscellaneous; changeout case to something with better ventillation. Changeout cables to round, high air-flow cables sample.

I choose Antec for power, fans and cases because they are the quietest I have found on the market and what I use exclusively because of the volume of equipment that I use in a residential environment.

5. On video cards; I wouldn't spend too much on a card based on the apparent age of the motherboard and the forthcoming requirements for the Winslow's Vegetable which is going to make pretty much everyone unhappy.

Level 14 Human gamer
Posted on June 3, 2006 at 10:56 pm

well Vor, those are all very nice things, but nothing you suggested is useable.

1. case is microATX (I think), neither of those power supplies will work.

2. the fan clips in, so making it bigger isn't an option.

3. again, microATX case, so putting something bigger in won't fit. This one already runs silently anyway, so...

4. my pc has some features not found on other systems (it's a sony vaio with gigapocket), so i've got AV inputs on the front, a memory stick port behind a panel, an optical out on the back, a special board inside the case that would have to be mounted somehow in a new case (it's the metal frame in the bottom right of the pic), and the fact that a new case would be bigger and not really fit where the new case is currently sitting.

5. I was looking for a card that will hold its own for awhile. I'm not getting a new pc until after vista comes out, and then probably not for awhile after that.

On the subject of power supplies: any new supply I put it will have to be modified. If you note the two hard drives in the lower right of the pic, they are mounted sideways, and the right most one requires a special power connector to even get the case closed.

The system is 3 years old, it's still holding its own in most respects. It needed a new vid card anyway, I just didn't expect to have to get one now (I ordered the XT, better specs than the 6600 and only a little more $).

... and I may end up getting a new microATX power supply anyway, my 12V line reading (according to MBM) is... out of standard range...

Level 15 Human Jack-of-all-trades
Posted on June 4, 2006 at 2:25 pm

Key KV,

Based on the snap in housing around the fan, I figured you could pull the plastic baggage out and add a larger fan. A Sharpie and a drill makes for new holes in case as necessary. The rediculously gungho case mod all the time.

As I stated earlier, an anal retent as in things I would do but you might not and to be honest, I couldn't tell it was an OEM case. I thought it was a white box.

I didn't have much to offer on video cards.

Level 14 Human gamer
Posted on June 4, 2006 at 8:26 pm

yeh, OEM case with alot of oddball parts that work real well together in that case.

Supposedly the DVD burner and the CD-ROM are also not standard sizes (not as tall), the MB has many of the extra features mounted directly to it (optical out), the back panel looks like it's part of the case and not transferable, the floppy and memory stick ports are together and part of a non-transferable face plate, so i'm most of the way to buying a whole new computer (MB, processor for MB, optical drives, floppy just because, the power suppy that was the reason for the bigger case) just to get a bigger case. And I don't want to rip holes in a new case to transfer parts from an older one. I also think there is more than just those clips to the fan area, so yeah, while it would be nice to get a bigger fan, it's not possible to do so without serious modification.

I did discover a bit of good news tonight, my 12V line is not running at 15.5 like MBM says, it is in fact running at 11.6.

and I feel that I need to apologise for my last post. It sounds kinda harsh. That's a great list of parts, and is close to what I would choose to put in a case if I could.

The complete spec sheet for my PC (with pic of front of case): http://www.docs.sony.com/release/specs/PCVRZ24Gspec.pdf

Level 14 Human gamer
Posted on June 6, 2006 at 9:21 pm

... this just keeps getting better and better.

Newegg's specs for the card are wrong, card came today, box says it wants a 450W power supply, not the 300W newegg quoted.

I also decided to pull my power supply out of the case, because if I have to get a new one, it's good to know how big it is. It's weird....

Side to side: 6 1/2 or 165.1mm
Front to back: 4 or 101.6mm
Top to bottom: 3 9/16 or 90.4875mm

I have 6 from the back of the longest CD drive to the back of the case, and I need 1/2 to back the power supply away from the back of the case (support frame in the way otherwise).

At least the motherboard connector appears to be standard...

so, from what I can tell, my PS is wider than microATX and ATX standards, is taller than microATX and some ATX, and deeper than microATX, but not as deep as some ATX.

Posted on June 7, 2006 at 2:45 pm

From what I understand, Sony makes their own custom power supplies to fit their own custom cases. It will probably be difficult to find a PSU that fits unless you call Sony or browse eBay. Otherwise, you're looking at buying a new case, or somehow mounting your PSU with a bit of creative engineering.

I'd try the GPU to see if it runs. My 6200 is running just fine with 350W. You shouldn't be able to do any damage to your components by under-powering them, but make sure to stress-test your machine to see if it's stable.

Level 14 Human gamer
Posted on June 7, 2006 at 8:16 pm

well, I installed the uberbeast. System handled it fine, then the system decided that the current draw was making the power supply too hot, so it turned up the fan speed and wouldn't turn it back down.

i've removed the beast, found and installed the old fan with the bad bearing and reinstalled the old vid card. For some reason, that fan is nice and quiet now, and the old card runs fine too.

Maybe i'll get one of the nice cheap 6200s that newegg has...

Pages 1 2