Skip navigation

TM slowdown/lockup

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Longbow Support > TM slowdown/lockup
Pages 1 2
Level 13 Human gamer
Alignment: Chaotic
Posted on May 3, 2006 at 9:39 pm

For the past week i've been attempting to diagnose a problem i've been having with TreadMarks and have run out of ideas.

When attempting to play, the map will load, i'll get the starting horn, hit fire to start, and then TM freezes for a few seconds. Then it allows me to play for about 2 seconds, then freezes again. Then allows me to play for a few more seconds. Then freezes again.

Each freeze period seems to get longer if I let it continue to run, at least untill my PC totally locks up.

While all of this is happening, the music will continue to play without error, or it may repeat the same half second of audio for a few seconds, then move to the next half second, and repeat the process.

I had updated both my audio and video drivers before this started to happen, and had sucessfully run TM once without error.

The only thing that had changed on my system between the good run and the errors was a group of large files being moved off of the partition where TM was installed, and connecting power to my joystick.

I've reinstalled TM, defragged all my hard drive partitions, checked the TM partition for errors, updated windows, tried turning off my anti-virus and my firewall, checked for spyware, tried compatibility mode, tried running in windowed mode (crashes faster), and... i'm sure i'm forgetting something... anyway, nothing makes the problem go away, and none of my other games seem to be affected.

PC specs:
intel P4 2.66
1 GB of ram
plenty of hard drive space
geforce Ti 4600 running 84.21 drivers
creative audigy 2 running latest drivers

ideas?

Level 13 Human bookkeeper
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on May 4, 2006 at 12:33 am

you know, i had a similar problem for a little bit...

my windows computer was working fine, TM ran great. then one day, TM (running full screen) minimized itself to the tray. it's one of those what the ?!#@ ... moments. so i would quit TM, restart it, and several minutes later it would minimize itself again. grrrrr.... and the game would not really be playable anymore if i went back to full screen.

i almost never use my windows computer anymore, except to play TM. i tried newer video card drivers, the omega drivers, but nothing would keep the game from minimizing itself. heck, i don't even browse the internet on it since i do all that from my mac. thinking i might have to reinstall windows just so i could play TM again, i looked at the running processes just to see what was there, and there was one process i did not recognize.

a newsletter i get recommended a little $10 shareware program, TNNFA by FNORDware Productions. this is it's description: TNNFA is a user extensible acronym dictionary with over 10000 acronyms already built in. Perfect for deciphering chat rooms and technical jargon.
this little windows program looked interesting to me, so i got it, installed it, tried it out, you type in an acronym and it tells you what it means. then i promptly forgot about it.

thinking about before and after... before - TM is fine, after - TM not fine... this was the only change i made to my computer... i installed this program. well, looking through it's readme file tucked away in its program folder, it said that it installed a silent feature to help your web searches. #$#@! a freaking little shareware program doing stuff like this.... grrrrrr

anyway, i used a startup manager to get rid of its startup entry, uninstalled it, made sure it did not come back to life, and TM runs fine now.

i can hardly wait for codeweavers to release their mac version of crossover office for the intel macs... then i'll be truly free from my windows computer.

toodles,
harmless
:)

kv, i know this doesn't help much. however, you might want to uninstall TM, then install it fresh to any different location, other than the default. this worked for me back in the days when i was using netscape v4.7x netscape stopped working for me, but i got it to work again by installing it to a custom path that was different that it's default.

my only other thought is that some files might be corrupt in the TM folder, a fresh install would fix that.

Level 13 Human gamer
Posted on May 27, 2006 at 10:41 pm

ok, tried:
uninstalling and reinstalling
copying files to a different drive
updating AV
updating Windows
updating Firewall
updating Audio/Video (already running latest versions)
running other games (varied results, see below)

still nothing is getting me closer to getting this figured out.

On the other games: been playing Sim City 4 lately, runs great, no problems. Tried running an older racing game called ReVolt, ran great, no problems. Tried running UT2k4, ran worse than TM did.

So:
SC4 = high vid card stress = runs great
RV = lower vid card stress = runs great
TM = low vid card stress = has problems
UT = high vid card stress = has worse problems

More notes: sometimes terrain will disappear in TM while I try to escape from the freezes, the same thing was seen in UT, only worse.

Level 13 Human Unaffiliated Game Maker
Posted on May 28, 2006 at 5:36 am

That's freaky...I had a pain in the butt problem with dungeon keeper a while back, on both my pc's (which are way over it's spec) it would run - freeze -run - freeze, and sometimes exit itself.

On my better pc I encountered the same with dungeon keeper 2, but on my worse one *pats computer* it ran fine. But I never got this sorted, so I cannot play DK, and besides, I duno if this is in anyway linked. :roll:

Level 13 Human gamer
Posted on May 28, 2006 at 9:47 am

well, TM and UT2k4 both work fine now. It wasn't a software problem.

My vid card fan had become noisy awhile back, and following some instructions I found online, I put some lubricating oil on it. I noticed some fan noise again last night, but didn't open the case to find the source. This morning I removed the vid card and discovered the oil was gone, but it turned out that the vid fan wasn't the noise source (case fan was).

Anyway, after putting oil on it again and testing TM and UT2k4, my computer is happy again and my games are running fine.

Level 13 Extraplanar Programmer
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on May 29, 2006 at 12:46 pm

Yeah, I just re-oiled my fans this weekend. Glad you got things sorted out.

Level 13 Human Unaffiliated Game Maker
Posted on May 29, 2006 at 1:52 pm

hmmmm, I've never had to do that :?

Level 13 Human gamer
Alignment: Chaotic evil
Posted on May 29, 2006 at 2:09 pm

It's a good idea to put oil on the fans periodically... however, if it's a high quality fan, there usually isn't a need to reoil for quite a few years. It does make things run smoother... ^_^

Level 13 Human gamer
Posted on May 29, 2006 at 2:52 pm

well, it turns out that I may still have a problem.

During the clan war, TM kept crashing and windows would prompt me with the would you like to send an error report box. After a few of these crashes, I ended up with a complete freeze.

Posted on May 29, 2006 at 3:37 pm

It still sounds like GPU problems. Unfortunately, I don't think your card has a temperature sensor, but you can check under Display Properties->Settings->Advanced->Geforce->Temperature Settings. As a general rule of thumb, 70 degrees Celsius is pushing it. While you're at it, you might want to measure your CPU and case temperature with Motherboard Monitor. I'm not sure where you live, but if the weather has been getting as hot there as it has been here, it might be having some adverse effect on your hardware (especially with old fans).

You might want to try playing with the side off of your computer case, and if you have a fan lying around (I mean, a full-sized oscillating fan) try pointing that into the case. It's possible that your GPU fan still isn't running at full speed, and thus not keeping your GPU cool enough. A more permanent solution is to mount some more fans in your case.

The bad news is that it's also possible that your video card has sustained irreparable damage from being run without a fan. However, you can often do an awful lot of damage to a video card before it kicks the bucket. I've once seen a video card apparently become permanently damaged, only to work perfectly fine a week later. (Although it seems that the more damaged they get, the more sensitive to overheating they become.)

If you install MBM, be sure to post your temperatures. Mine, right now (at idle), are:

Case: 43 degrees C
CPU: 33 degrees C
GPU: 46 degrees C

That's about three degrees hotter than usual, since it's very hot in the office today.

Level 13 Human wizard
Alignment: Good
Posted on May 29, 2006 at 5:23 pm

Tip: You can use ° (ALT + 248) for the degrees symbol.

Posted on May 29, 2006 at 6:53 pm

Or you can copy and paste the character from Casper's post >:)

Level 13 Human wizard
Posted on May 29, 2006 at 8:40 pm

Or you can copy and paste the character from Casper's post >:)

Silly Rick. I've only posted here should you need to do something that deals with degrees again. If HTML was on and entities were supported, this entity (°) could be used.

Level 13 Human gamer
Posted on May 29, 2006 at 10:22 pm

If HTML was supported, I bet you someone would be able to enable javascript through the forum and then maybe cause some unwanted damage.

Level 13 Human Shadow
Posted on May 30, 2006 at 7:21 am

Quite possible. All you need to crash a sql server using a forum is an iframe...linking back to the thread that contains the iframe...ad infinitum. You get infinate calls to the sql server coming from a single page.

--

KV: Sounds like a heat issue. Just about every mobo has a minimal heat sensor. Go grab SiSoftware Sandra (http://www.sisoftware.co.uk/) and check the Motherboard Info. The temperature sensors will be displayed there (mobo ones, not the video card one).

Generally you want to keep your case temp no higher than 55-60C. The CPU itself can handle much higher, but the cooler it is the more stable it runs.

The other alternatives I can see are:
(1) your GPU now has problems with OpenGL. An interesting thing: Unreal Tournament and TM both use OpenGL. SimCity 4 uses DirectX. Most games now use DirectX unless they are trying to be cross-platform. Different protocol for talking to the GPU, and perhaps whatever nVidia uses for an interpreter is broken. Could be that when your GPU fan was having problems it overheated and fried some circuit that is needed for OpenGL games and not DirectX games.

(2) your PowerSupply isn't putting out enough juice, causing your system to become unstable when you stress system resources. However, I'd expect TM to have far less problems with this than SimCity 4, but...who knows.

Level 13 Human wizard
Posted on May 30, 2006 at 9:55 am

Quite possible. All you need to crash a sql server using a forum is an iframe...linking back to the thread that contains the iframe...ad infinitum. You get infinate calls to the sql server coming from a single page.

Not always true when it comes to this type of board, if HTML was on, I noticed that the tags that could be used can be limited and <iframe> would not be allowed for that reason.

Level 13 Human gamer
Posted on May 30, 2006 at 3:02 pm

Ah... but you can always screw up the website...

Posted on May 30, 2006 at 4:23 pm

I don't want to enable HTML without auditing the code first, and that's not something I'm willing to dedicate the time to at the moment.

I'm not sure if it would allow HTML entities anyway (which, I admit, I sometimes like to use — especially &mdash;). Although, I'd probably prefer the Wikipedia approach of putting a bunch of special characters on the edit page that you can click on, 'cause I forget my HTML entities whenever I want to spell words like façade or naïve.

Level 13 Human gamer
Posted on May 30, 2006 at 7:47 pm

ok, according to MBM:

CPU: 55
Case: 42

at idle.

i'm not going to bother seeing the temps under load because while I was in the case trying to figure out what MB Sony put in there, I noted the fact that the vid card fan was no longer spinning again, so it looks like I get to go to bestbuy again and spend $20 to get _another_ BFG cooling fan.

... I should just get a new vid card... it would be at least 2 generations newer than this thing...

Level 13 Human Shadow
Posted on May 31, 2006 at 7:04 am

Yeah, KV. I'm thinking the problem with the vid card isn't the fan not spinning - it's that the Video Card got damanged when it wasn't spinning due to overheating.

Pages 1 2