Skip navigation

TM Classic? (for LDA)

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Tread Marks > TM Classic? (for LDA)
Pages 1 2
Level 14 Human Shadow
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on April 25, 2006 at 10:05 pm

Jim/Rick:

Wondering if LDA might be able to host a TM classic server (1.0 entities for the weapons - the ones without tracking). A number of us are interested in seeing how well we fair with non-tracking weaponry.

2ndly, do you have the 1.0 projectile entities readily available, or do I have to dig up a 1.0 CD and pull them off of it?

:)

--RC

Cosponsored by: Vlad, Pablito, K, and Dennis.

Level 14 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on April 25, 2006 at 10:08 pm

the only version I have ever played is 1.6...wonder what no guidance is like

Level 14 Human gamer
Posted on April 25, 2006 at 10:31 pm

It's definitely different, especially at longer ranges. Not all the weapons lacked guidance, either. Stuff like the Nuke, Wasps, etc had it. The big ones that didn't were the 120mm and the Plasma Cannon. Back in the early days it was pretty satisfying to nail somebody halfway across the map with one of those, as you knew it was a tough shot.

Level 14 Human Shadow
Posted on April 25, 2006 at 11:12 pm

Yeah:

Now have guidence that didn't used to:
- 120mm
- Avenger
- Machine Gun
- Plasma Cannon
- Concussion Missiles
- Mines (I think these have a tiny bit of guidence now...can't remember for sure)

Have stronger guidence than they used to:
- MRL (I think it's stronger at least)

Are unchanged:
- Cruise
- Nuke
- Matter
- Shadow
- Wasps
- Ramdrill
- RGrenades
- Airstrike

Think I got them all :)

Level 14 Human bookkeeper
Posted on April 26, 2006 at 2:43 am

will this do :)
if i ever play TM by myself, it is always v101

server address for TM V101 internet server
server port

send me an email if there's any questions.

toodles,
harmless
:)

it is all stock v101 : maps weapons flags

Level 16 Human gamer
Posted on April 26, 2006 at 3:04 am

Definately not in favor of tikering with the stock LDA server. I like Harmless' idea.

Level 14 Human Shadow
Posted on April 26, 2006 at 7:34 am

We aren't saying tinker with the stock, Coax. We're saying have a 2nd one called LDA Classic

Level 14 Extraplanar Programmer
Posted on April 26, 2006 at 2:07 pm

This is an interesting idea, but there's a couple problems.

The first is that I don't even think we have a copy of 1.0. Seamus never used any source control, so we pretty much only have the latest versions here.

The second is that our Tread Marks machine has had problems in the past when we tried to run more than two Tread Marks servers, and if we did host an official classic server, we'd be causing a lot of confusion. There's not really any precedent for running a server that requires an out-of-date copy of the game, even with games that call themselves 'Classic' (like Team Fortress Classic).

We don't have a problem with you guys hosting a classic server, of course. I'll even help with distributing the client; if anybody has an old copy of the Tread Marks installer, send it my way and I'll add it to all of your download keys.

Level 14 Human gamer
Alignment: Chaotic
Posted on April 26, 2006 at 2:42 pm

Rick, it's not even that complicated, it's just a matter of getting all the correct ent files (that is right, isn't it?).

I'm willing to convert one of the other daily servers to a classic server, or maybe even add a folder for a server on Mondays, if you guys want this to be a regular event.

Daily servers:
85 weapons < Tuesday
Stock CTF < Wednesday
Racing < Thursday

Or, as I said, monday is open. Friday is not an option as it would not be possible to get the sunday event servers running.

Posted on April 26, 2006 at 2:58 pm

It might be that simple; I'd have to take a look at it to find out. I'm somewhat worried that if you install the old ents, they'll override the new ents, so you'll need two copies of Tread Marks just so you don't ruin your current copy.

Level 14 Human gamer
Posted on April 26, 2006 at 3:30 pm

That's what the Addons folder is for.

Level 14 Human Unaffiliated Game Maker
Posted on April 26, 2006 at 3:48 pm

I'll have to drop in some time, great idea, should be interesting. :)

Level 14 Human gamer
Posted on April 26, 2006 at 3:49 pm

computer a little too low on memory to download any new addons right now...only about 40% of 33 gb left

Level 14 Human Shadow
Posted on April 26, 2006 at 5:27 pm

Dennis, a dozen or so entities are under 2kbs usually - that's no space at all :)

Rick, the idea's not to run a TM1.0 server but run the TM1.0 weapon/projectile ents on a TM1.6 server.

KV: Yeah, monday night classic would be great :)

Level 14 Human gamer
Posted on April 26, 2006 at 5:40 pm

umm, low memory causing problems

Posted on April 26, 2006 at 6:51 pm

Sorry about the misunderstanding. Running the 1.0 ents on a 1.6 should be alright, as long as they still work!

computer a little too low on memory to download any new addons right now...only about 40% of 33 gb left
13.2GB free? Hell, a few months ago my Windows machine was running on a machine with a 10GB hard drive!

Level 14 Human bookkeeper
Posted on April 26, 2006 at 8:14 pm

well, for what it may be worth, i'll just leave my v1.0.1 server up for a while.
it's a default install of v1.0.1, from my v1.0.1 TM cd.

well, ok, i changed the names of the AI tanks, never did like the default name set :)

Level 14 Human gamer
Posted on April 26, 2006 at 9:30 pm

Sorry about the misunderstanding. Running the 1.0 ents on a 1.6 should be alright, as long as they still work!

13.2GB free? Hell, a few months ago my Windows machine was running on a machine with a 10GB hard drive!

I have dialup...to play a good game I need more memory...rc may believe differently after that game I played...but I do need more memory to play a good game. btw rick do you play tm?

Level 14 Human gamer
Posted on April 27, 2006 at 1:45 am

think the last time I wanted to check something (iirc tank ents) I just used winzip to open the 'file'. but then again I have the original cd that LDA mailed :), in the cardboard cd holder. iirc the weap.s(well the projectiles, ifn you want to get picky), should work fine. note the p-mines got a smidge of guidence and movement.

Level 14 Human Shadow
Posted on April 27, 2006 at 5:43 am

Dennis, more HD space makes no difference for gameplay. TM can run on only about 50MBs free memory, not hard drive, and memory isn't used by ents, Dennis. It's cleared at every reboot.

As for playing on dial up, I don't know how you do it. I didn't play TM online for two years becuase I had dial up. TM needs 10kb/s of sustained bandwidth to be fully playable. On dialup you're lucky if you get about 5kb/s sustained. You can't compete when lots of players are on without a faster connection. You'll do fine against one, two, maybe three humans. But at a DDM you'll be lunch becuase you'll lag so badly.

Pages 1 2