Skip navigation

Windows XP: Phantom hardware changes force re-registration

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > General Chatter > Windows XP: Phantom hardware changes force re-registration
Level 16 Human Jack-of-all-trades
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on April 24, 2006 at 3:12 pm

.. or MSApps get the vapors.

Earlier this month I had a problem with a Windows XP workstation; Adobe Acrobat crashed when I tried to save a local copy. I was connected to a MS PPTP connection at the time and when the OS tried to send MS the bug report, the workstation lost network connectivity and became unstable. I ended up having to ungracefully shutdown the system.

Now, the problem arose when I logged back in. The OS demanded I reregister because there had been a significant ‘hardware' change. ?Hardware change? I didn't change the hardware. Never the less, I reregistered the system and then reported a bug to MS. They were at first unclear (MS uses China instead of India for level one support?) but eventually they gave up.

The reason I'm letting you know about this is that I have started getting calls from my clients with similar issues where all of the sudden they are getting prompted to reregister MS products because of phantom hardware changes. This was a big problem for one of my clients while traveling, when he got to the hotel, Opening Outlook spawned the Installation Wizard which demanded he put the installation CD in because of significant hardware changes. He panicked because he had a presentation to do in the morning and didn't carry application media with him.

I was wondering if anyone else was encountering this new MS feature?

Level 14 Human gamer
Alignment: Chaotic evil
Posted on April 24, 2006 at 6:20 pm

I don't know, but I have heard that one of their latest patches have been causing a lot of trouble... maybe it's this bug? Not much info on my end... nothing like that happened to me... yet.

Level 14 Human Unaffiliated Game Maker
Alignment: Chaotic
Posted on April 25, 2006 at 10:30 am

Um, maybe it's a con from a virus or something to get your details. :shock:

Windows XP is rubbish anyways. Meh, it has to be used these days. :x