Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > General Chatter > 10th Planet
Pages 1 2 3
Level 14 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on April 12, 2006 at 11:35 pm

10th Planet Slightly Larger Than Pluto
By ALICIA CHANG, AP Science Writer

Tue Apr 11, 7:04 PM

LOS ANGELES - An icy ball discovered last year in the outer solar system is only slightly larger than Pluto, casting doubt on previous estimates that the so-called 10th planet was significantly larger, scientists reported Tuesday.

Previous estimates by ground-based telescopes suggested the object known as 2003 UB313 was 30 percent bigger than Pluto.

But the latest measurement by the Hubble Space Telescope has a smaller margin of error and is probably a more accurate estimate, said lead researcher Michael Brown of the California Institute of Technology.

According to Hubble, UB313's diameter measures 1,490 miles, give or take 60 miles. Pluto is about 1,422 miles across.

Brown previously reported that UB313 could be up to 2,175 miles in diameter based on its brightness. He said he was surprised by Hubble's findings, which will be published in an upcoming issue of Astrophysical Journal.

The discovery of UB313, which Brown nicknamed Xena, reinvigorated the debate about what is considered a planet. Some astronomers have questioned whether Pluto should keep its planetary status, while others say UB313 should be the 10th planet because it is bigger than Pluto.

The International Astronomical Union, which oversees the naming of planets, has not taken a stance on the issue.

If it is determined to be the 10th planet, UB313 would be the farthest-known body in the solar system.

liability link:
http://www.comcast.net/news/science/index.jsp?cat=SCIENCE&fn=/2006/04/11/365942.html&cvqh=space_10th

Level 13 Human gamer
Posted on April 13, 2006 at 4:00 am

I wonder could we name it Tread marks? :D

Level 14 Human gamer
Alignment: Chaotic evil
Posted on April 13, 2006 at 6:25 pm

I heard it was going to be called with a name starting with an x... o_O

Level 13 Human Unaffiliated Game Maker
Alignment: Chaotic
Posted on April 14, 2006 at 8:06 am

They were considering scrapping pluto as the 9th plannet, because it's basically just ice.

Level 14 Human gamer
Posted on April 14, 2006 at 10:34 am

They were considering scrapping pluto as the 9th plannet, because it's basically just ice. its two planets orbiting closely to eachother. or...rocks.

Posted on April 15, 2006 at 10:46 am

Realy.....

Level 13 Human gamer
Posted on April 15, 2006 at 1:23 pm

none of this is new to me...I have been hearing about it for months now

Level 14 Human gamer
Posted on April 15, 2006 at 8:53 pm

yeah well I exsist to inform, and I am fullfilling my exsistence.

Posted on April 16, 2006 at 8:29 am

I am a living encyclopedia of useless information - 2ndself

Level 21 Extraplanar Artist
Alignment: Good
Posted on April 17, 2006 at 12:30 pm

I think the reason they're considering removing planetary status from Pluto is so that we don't keep discovering more and more 'planets' that are too far (or too small) to be of any significance. It's enough to remember eight main planets (and their moons) without having to worry about every trans-Neptunian object they discover in the future.

I guess we'll learn more when the New Horizons probe arrives in 2015. To quote Lewis Black, I can't wait that long! I need to know what's happening on Pluto NOW!

Posted on April 17, 2006 at 4:19 pm

I already know what's happening on pluto. Not alot.

I can't remember the order of the plannets without trying already.

Level 14 Human gamer
Posted on April 17, 2006 at 10:22 pm

I think the reason they're considering removing planetary status from Pluto is so that we don't keep discovering more and more 'planets' that are too far (or too small) to be of any significance. It's enough to remember eight main planets (and their moons) without having to worry about every trans-Neptunian object they discover in the future.

I guess we'll learn more when the New Horizons probe arrives in 2015. To quote Lewis Black, I can't wait that long! I need to know what's happening on Pluto NOW!
nice :D good comedian but yeah... geez... that long?

Level 14 Extraplanar Programmer
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on April 18, 2006 at 12:49 pm

Well, it is at least 4,284,726,912 km (2,662,405,870 miles) away from Earth, when Earth and Pluto are as close as possible, and as many as 7,228,829,857 km (4,491,786,630 miles) when they're farthest from each other.

That means it's travelling at as much as 91,627 km/h or 56,934 mph!

Level 14 Human gamer
Alignment: Chaotic evil
Posted on April 18, 2006 at 1:49 pm

Eeek! Big numbers!

Level 13 Human gamer
Posted on April 21, 2006 at 11:47 am

I already know what's happening on pluto. Not alot.

I can't remember the order of the plannets without trying already.

I can: Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune, Pluto :D

Level 14 Human gamer
Posted on April 22, 2006 at 12:58 am

its easy. they are really big freaking rocks. we live on a rock with a tasty inside :D its midnight, Im going to sleep.

Level 14 Extraplanar Programmer
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on April 24, 2006 at 1:43 pm

You mean like caramel nougat?

Level 14 Human gamer
Posted on May 15, 2006 at 6:21 pm

something of that sort. :D
I havent been as active because Im writing...well creating a universe at the moment its really intresting. multiple planets... I think I should present it when Im finished with it... wonder when that will be lol.
well im off to write again!

Level 13 Human gamer
Posted on May 15, 2006 at 8:40 pm

I think we know one of the future authors of America (Unescapable)...there is a club called FFA for future farmers of America and FBLA for (at least I think this is what it stands for) Future Business Leaders of America...I wonder if there is an faa (future authors of America).

Level 14 Human gamer
Posted on May 15, 2006 at 10:24 pm

I find writing very stimulating... I hate writing reports though :D

I listen to some song and bam... I get this odd feeling and I want to write and I end upwriting for the next 5 hours...

heres something to ponder. Terra (Earth) isnt exactly round, so does that mean the core is really in the center?

Pages 1 2 3