Skip navigation

How to make a LAN-only game w/ TreadMarks?

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Tread Marks > How to make a LAN-only game w/ TreadMarks?
Level 13 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on March 19, 2006 at 4:44 pm

Ok call me a complete n00b, but I can't figure out how to start a LAN-only multiplayer game in TreadMarks. The whole IP address and server thing is confusing me! I just want to set up a game on my home network that my friends and I can play on. I'd make an internet game/server, but my connection is too slow so this is impossible.

Would anyone be willing to guide me through the confusing IP process?

And why don't you get the Create Game option? Why is it always Join Game . :?

Thanks! (I'm running the Demo version btw)

Level 14 Human gamer
Posted on March 20, 2006 at 12:18 pm

hmm... not sure you can have a LAN party with the demo version but you may be better off posting this at the LDA Support Forum: [url]http://www.ldagames.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=7</a>

Level 13 Human gamer
Posted on March 20, 2006 at 4:47 pm

Thanks for the reply. I couldn't find anywhere that said the demo didn't allow game hosting, so I assumed it did... but I'll be buying this game shortly so I'll find out soon enough I guess.

does anyone else have any ideas?

Level 14 Human Shadow
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on March 20, 2006 at 5:35 pm

You set up an internet game but set the IP not to broadcast to the master server. I haven't run a server in 5 years, so I don't recall the details, but I believe that running a multiplayer server isn't available under the demo. You'll need the full version for that.

--RC

Level 14 Human bookkeeper
Posted on March 21, 2006 at 1:36 am

running an internet server is the same as running a LAN server...
just launch dedicated server and you can connect to it over a LAN or internet.
the difference is how a client connects.
instead of clicking refresh internet
click refresh LAN and your server will show up and you can connect.

anyway, since the default master server is not correct anymore in the dedicated.cfg file, no one over the internet will find your server.

toodles,
harmless
:)

Level 14 Human gamer
Posted on March 24, 2006 at 8:51 pm

The easiest way to host A LAN game is to go into single player, then when you're picking the map and options, change the Allow Joins to Yes.
This will make the game selectable from the multiplayer room under LAN. It won't appear under Internet, however other people can connect directly to the game by typing in your IP directly :D
(this all works in the Demo version)
Also the dedicated server button on the demo just launched regular TM, but the Full version works...

Level 14 Human Shadow
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on March 24, 2006 at 11:36 pm

yeah, dedicated server is turned off on the demo.

--RC