Skip navigation

DX-Ball Graphics Problem

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Longbow Support > DX-Ball Graphics Problem
Level 13 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on March 7, 2006 at 2:13 pm

Running DX Ball on 3 XP machines.

One 2 of them the graphics (sepcifically the block textures) are not being displayed/rendered properly.

In both cases they appear to be blotchy, with only a 16 color count, and not rendered at all.

Once machine has a Geforce MX 440 the other a Radeon Mobility 9700.

Both have the newest video drivers and direct X

Any suggestions?

David

Level 14 Extraplanar Programmer
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on March 7, 2006 at 6:56 pm

It might be your desktop settings. Right click on your wallpaper, choose Properties , then click on the Settings tab and see what the Color quality is set to.

It's also worth it to see if the game looks different in windowed mode versus full screen mode. Pressing the F7 key in the main menu will switch between the two.

Of course, you can also try installing Rival Ball, which plays all the DX-Ball 2 boards.

Level 13 Human gamer
Posted on March 7, 2006 at 7:31 pm

OK, the desktop colors were set to 32-bit, highest. As I suspected. Also it made no difference between full screen or windowed. As a matter of fact I have a screen shot of exactly what it looks like...

Any further thoughts?

Here is the picture -
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-3/1156139/dxball.jpg

Posted on March 8, 2006 at 12:26 pm

Well, this is easy -- that's exactly what it's supposed to look like! Here's the screenshots section of the DX-Ball 2 page.

DX-Ball 2 was released in 1998 and it was one of our very first games, so it was only 256 colour and doesn't have a lot of visual flare.

If you're looking for a game with some more visual flare, perhaps you'd be interested in Rival Ball Tournament.

Level 13 Human gamer
Posted on March 8, 2006 at 5:07 pm

Rick, look again. I know the game is old, but keep in mind that it is running correctly on the 3rd PC, so I can compare side by side.

If you look at my screen shot you will notice that the colors on the regular blocks are distorted and the exploding blocks aren't gold or shimmering for lack of a better word.

No, come is wrong with the graphics.

FYI - Rival Ball looks the same, also messed up.

David

Posted on March 8, 2006 at 7:15 pm

I'm just wondering, can you post a screen shot from from your other machine? The one that works properly?

Level 14 Human wizard
Alignment: Good
Posted on March 8, 2006 at 9:04 pm

OK, the desktop colors were set to 32-bit, highest. As I suspected. Also it made no difference between full screen or windowed. As a matter of fact I have a screen shot of exactly what it looks like...

Any further thoughts?

Here is the picture -
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-3/1156139/dxball.jpg

Those colors do not look distorted to me (Hide and Glow Seek). The exploding Bricks on that board are orange and that's what most exploding bricks are. The exploding bricks are not the same. There are different styles of bricks, especially blockades.

Level 13 Human gamer
Posted on March 11, 2006 at 8:17 am

Ok, when I went to get the screen shot off the working machine I realize it was a different board setup. So I did a little more poking around and realized that I was comparing Variations on a Dream against Hide and Glow Seek When you compare the graphics on those 2 boards, they DO look entirely different, particularly the exploding blocks. However, on the working machine when I loaded Hide and Glow Seek the graphics appeared the same as on the other 2 machines.

Problem solved, thank you gentlemen.

David

Level 14 Human wizard
Alignment: Good
Posted on March 11, 2006 at 3:43 pm

Ok, when I went to get the screen shot off the working machine I realize it was a different board setup. So I did a little more poking around and realized that I was comparing Variations on a Dream against Hide and Glow Seek When you compare the graphics on those 2 boards, they DO look entirely different, particularly the exploding blocks. However, on the working machine when I loaded Hide and Glow Seek the graphics appeared the same as on the other 2 machines.

Problem solved, thank you gentlemen.

David

At least I did something. They're only styles, not really distortions. Same thing applies as if you were to compare Equalizeral and Expedition - Corn Fed .