Skip navigation

DISPLAY PROBLEMS

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Longbow Support > DISPLAY PROBLEMS
Level 13 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on January 22, 2006 at 8:13 pm

:x I HAVE INSTALED THIS PROGRAM ON MY COMPUTER AND THE DISPLAY IS TO SMALL.EVERY TIME I START THIS PROGRAM IT CHANGES MY DISPLAY. I KEEP GOING TO THE DISPLAY SETTINGS AND CHANGING IT BACK TO LARGE SCREEN, BUT THIS DOES NOT WORK ON THIS PROGRAM, I HAVE DELETED IT AND REINSTALED IT BUT IT WON'T WORK. i HAVE PAYED FOR THIS PROGRAM I WOULD LIKE TO PLAY THE GAME IN FULL SCREEN, PLEASE HELP.

Level 13 Human Unaffiliated Game Maker
Alignment: Chaotic
Posted on January 23, 2006 at 10:24 am

As always, what game is this?

Level 13 Extraplanar Programmer
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on January 23, 2006 at 11:47 am

Yes, what game is it?

Also, is this a laptop? What's the make and model?

Level 13 Human gamer
Posted on January 23, 2006 at 12:28 pm

the game is dx dall and yes it is a lap top. It is a dell inspiron 2200. thank you

Level 13 Human gamer
Posted on January 23, 2006 at 12:33 pm

well the laptop may need to adjust the screen to allow the game to fit on it.

Posted on January 23, 2006 at 6:25 pm

Nah, it's easier than that. I think all you have to do is press the F7 key while holding down the Fn key. Let me know if it doesn't work.

If you're interested in why your laptop does it, here's the technical explanation: unlike most televisions or computer monitors, the LCD screen on a laptop has a fixed number of pixels. Lets say your laptop screen has a grid of 1280x1024 pixels; when DX-Ball 2 starts up it tells the monitor that it only wants to use 640x480 pixels. Now, on a normal monitor, it would simply change the number of pixels that the screen uses to make each pixel bigger, but because laptops have a fixed number of pixels it can't really make pixels bigger, and it has an even harder time if the pixels become a different shape (for instance, if they become more rectangular).

So, by default, some laptops won't attempt to stretch pixels at all to just avoid the problem all together. Unfortunately, this leaves a big black border around a very small image on the screen. By hitting Fn+F7, you're telling the laptop to try stretching the pixels anyway. This isn't perfect, and you might notice some bands of blurring (most noticeable in fields of text), but it shouldn't be too bad for DX-Ball 2.

Cheers.

Level 13 Human gamer
Posted on January 24, 2006 at 10:26 pm

Pushing FN+f7 did not work. The whole screen of dx ball used to come up but now it doesn't. Every time i open dx ball it changes my display settings and i have to shut down my computer then start it up again to change the settings back. I have anouther laptop and the game works fine on it. If it helps you, im not very good with computers so it might be relitivly easy, please help

Level 13 Human Unaffiliated Game Maker
Alignment: Chaotic
Posted on January 25, 2006 at 10:25 am

Alt+Enter often works if I understand right. (that is if you are trying to get a windowed game to go to full screen)

BTW - I don't have that game so I can't help any further :(

Posted on January 25, 2006 at 1:16 pm

Perhaps I'm not properly understanding the issue. Is it that:

a) When you play the game it shows up in a little square on the screen with the rest of the screen being black?
b) When you play the game it's in a window instead of in fullscreen?
c) After you play the game and you go back to your desktop, it's changed the resolution of your screen?

Level 13 Human gamer
Posted on January 25, 2006 at 11:13 pm

the answers are a and c. thank you

Level 13 Human gamer
Posted on January 26, 2006 at 12:00 am

Just to add to my last posting Alt+enter does not work. neither does fn+f7.
When i first installed the program it did work in full screen but soon after it would only fill the middle of the screen and when i close out the program it messes with my display settings.

Level 13 Human gamer
Posted on January 26, 2006 at 12:52 am

I never have problems unless Tam Banned

Posted on January 26, 2006 at 1:22 pm

Okay, I've found another solution that may work (unfortunately, I don't know if this applies to you exact model, because I can't seem to find the manual for your model on the Dell site).

Go to this page and read question 5.v. Hopefully that solution should work.