Skip navigation

.exe file problems

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Longbow Support > .exe file problems
Level 13 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on January 13, 2006 at 8:12 pm

I downloaded more boards for DX2. It is a .exe file, but I can't run it as it comes back that this is an invalid WIN 32 application. Any suggestions?

Level 13 Human gamer
Alignment: Chaotic evil
Posted on January 13, 2006 at 10:52 pm

I don't know exactly, but perhaps there was an error in the download process. Perhaps a redownload may fix it. If it doesn't, then it could be a bigger problem... I'd suggest redownloading it, it should be fine.

Level 13 Human bookkeeper
Posted on January 13, 2006 at 10:56 pm

do you have any problems with other files that you download?

Level 13 Human gamer
Posted on January 14, 2006 at 11:46 am

No, I just tried on another downloaded file and it worked.

Posted on January 15, 2006 at 2:55 am

cool. it's always nice when it is an easy solution.

Level 13 Human gamer
Posted on January 15, 2006 at 5:40 pm

No... it still doesn't work!

Posted on January 15, 2006 at 6:47 pm

well, since you can download files from other sites, and have no problems with them, and this is the only file you have trouble with...
not sure what to think...
do you save the file to the same location? here's a thought, use a different browser to download the file... stranger things have happened.
if you use IE, then use opera or firefox to download the file, save it to a different location on your computer, and see if the problem magically disappears.

firefox
http://www.mozilla.com/
opera
http://www.opera.com/download/

Level 13 Human gamer
Posted on January 16, 2006 at 11:37 am

Downloaded Firefox to new file folder. Tried to install, and it comes back that it is not a valid win 32 application

Level 13 Extraplanar Programmer
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on January 16, 2006 at 2:03 pm

The "not a valid win32 application" error is usually caused by a corrupt file. The most common reasons for the file being corrupt are (in this order):
* There was an error while downloading.
* Your hard drive is failing.
* There's a virus on your computer.
Since you've already tried re-downloading the board pack, and even tried downloading Firefox (which isn't remotely related to us, except for the fact that we're big fans!), it pretty much rules out the first possibility.

So the first thing I'd like you to try is scanning your hard drive for errors by running ScanDisk.

If you run Windows 95, Windows 98, or Windows ME, then you can start ScanDisk by clicking the Start button, then clicking Run, then typing "scandisk" and pressing enter.

If you run Windows 2000 or Windows XP, then you can start ScanDisk by double clicking on "My Computer" on the desktop, then right clicking on your hard drive (usually labelled "Local disk (C:)"), then select "Properties". A new window will pop up with some information about your hard drive. From here, click on the "Tools" tab along the top, and then select "Check Now". The computer will need to restart to scan the hard drive in safe mode.

ScanDisk will take a while (hours, usually), and you won't be able to do anything else on the computer while it's running.

If ScanDisk shows any problems, then you're going to have to take your computer to the shop to get the hard drive replaced (unless you're handy enough to replace the hard drive yourself), and you should back up any important files immediately, because they could already be in danger of being lost.

Good luck!