Skip navigation

Tread Marks does not start

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Tread Marks > Tread Marks does not start
Level 13 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on December 31, 2005 at 10:41 pm

i just bought Tread Marks and when i double click on the icon, a window pops up called LDA Browser and i cant play the game, it just stays on this browser window.

anyone here can help me out plz?

Level 16 Human gamer
Posted on January 1, 2006 at 3:48 am

did you up date TM to 1.6 ?

Level 13 Human Shadow
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on January 1, 2006 at 10:47 am

If he has LDA Browser, I'm thinking he already has 1.6. I've never had a version with LDA Browser, so I'm not sure what's going on.

What you should have is something called Tread Marks Launcher I think, though it could also just directly load the game since the only reason for Tread Marks Launcher was to allow support for the Voodoo series cards, which are not longer used.

We'll have to wait for Rick to get back from the holidays to get a nice answer for you, Nikolas.

Level 13 Human Unaffiliated Game Maker
Alignment: Chaotic
Posted on January 2, 2006 at 8:53 am

When I double click the icon it brings up a thing that looks like this:-

That's the launcher...I've never even heard of a browser...can you show us a screenshot?

Level 13 Extraplanar Programmer
Posted on January 2, 2006 at 2:35 pm

Hey Nikolas,

We've never created anything called an "LDA Browser" ourselves, but I looked up your email address in our database and haven't found any orders that match, so I'm guessing that you bought it from a different outlet. Could you let us know where you got your copy so we can figure out what's going on?

Level 13 Human gamer
Posted on January 2, 2006 at 7:40 pm

I'm guessing it's the eGames version which brings up a game browser and you have to click on treadmarks in that, which brings up a slightly modified version of the standard treadmarks launcher, which finally allows you to launch the game.

The game "browser"

The modified launcher

There are a few things I would recommend doing to get rid of the stuff that egames added that are causing problems.

1. go to the directory where it was installed (usually C:\program files\egames\treadmarks\), delete the "assets" and "register" folders, and all the files inside the treadmarks folder. DO NOT delete the "Game" folder.
2. Now, open the game folder, select all the files there, and move them to the Treadmarks folder.
3. Depending on which icon you were using to launch the game, right click on it and select properties. In the text box next to "Target", change "gbrowser.exe" to "TreadMarks.exe"
4. Enjoy your now egames free version of treadmarks.

or

1. perform step one as written above.
2. go to the installed directory and into the "Game" folder.
3. right click on Treadmarks.exe and select copy
4. right click on your desktop and select paste shortcut (you can also do this in the folder on the start menu if you launch the game from there)
5. delete the old icon you were using

or

you can just continue to launch the game from the egames browser by clicking on play in that window, then clicking on the play button in the game launcher itself.

Level 13 Human Shadow
Posted on January 2, 2006 at 7:51 pm

Just a note to anyone that launches through "Treadmarks.exe": it is much easier to just directly launch tm.exe (or tmvoodoo.exe if you're on a Voodoo card) - no menus at all. It just launches the game.

Level 13 Human Unaffiliated Game Maker
Posted on January 3, 2006 at 10:27 am

OOo! Ick!

The Egames bit looks realy cheesy!
And the modified launcher is boring.
I like the one where it says my pc is GODLY

Level 13 Human gamer
Alignment: Chaotic evil
Posted on January 3, 2006 at 10:50 am

Wierd... I got mine from LDA, but the launcher looks like this... (TM 1.6 LDA Version directly)

hmmm... o well... I'm guessing this is the latest version, as that it has a copyright of 1999-2003 as opposed to the 1999-2000 one. I'm sure this isn't the modified version as that I don't have any eGames crap on my computer and that TM works like a charm here... (Again, I got it directly from LDA)

Level 16 Human gamer
Posted on January 5, 2006 at 2:25 am

nikolas did you bootleg your copy of TM ? if so it will not work.
so go and buy it like everyone here did

Level 13 Human gamer
Posted on January 5, 2006 at 11:42 am

Thats on egames i seen stuff like them before its normally junk.

how mush did you pay (if anything)

And do you have raptor from them that i can have?

Level 13 Human gamer
Posted on January 5, 2006 at 12:41 pm

thats from egames.

Level 13 Human gamer
Alignment: Chaotic evil
Posted on January 5, 2006 at 12:51 pm

I don't have the eGames browser pop up when I start TM, but I do have the launcher look exactly like the picture I provided. Another thing I would like to add... way back when I was only with the demo, I remembered that the launcher looks exactly the same as this one... the full version. I'm sure now that this is the latest version of that launcher thingie... I feel reassured now...

Level 13 Human gamer
Posted on January 5, 2006 at 12:56 pm

its priced around 10$ shere in the US

Level 13 Human gamer
Posted on January 5, 2006 at 4:04 pm

Man lucky i got mine for 47p

Level 13 Human gamer
Posted on January 6, 2006 at 12:59 pm

I acually look at what I buy now...I think *buys pop*