Posted on December 29, 2005 at 9:14 pm

When trying to play I receive a message
"could not initilize open GL rendering direct draw"
What is the problem?
Thanks

Level 14 Human Shadow
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on December 29, 2005 at 10:51 pm

It means you don't have a OpenGL compatable card, or the drivers for the card are improperly installed, or there is another video-intensive based program conflicting with Treadmarks.

Treadmarks works on any nVidia TNT and GeForce card. It also works on any ATI Radeon card. ATI Rage card did not work with it even though the Rage card supports OpenGL (though I can't remember if this also affected the Rage II card). I don't know about the lesser known brands -- you'd have to check with the vender.

If you have a compatable card, make sure 3d applications such as Google Earth, Nasa World Wind, or other 3d games/applications that use either DirectX or OpenGL aren't running. Also make sure that you don't have any video software running that uses overlay technology (such as a TV tuner, a DVD player (with a movie paused or playing), a video loaded in Windows Media Player or Real Player, etc) -- that sometimes causes problems with 3d games, though it is less common than a direct 3d-3d conflict, and only would occur if their is active read-write to the video card.

--RC

Level 14 Human bookkeeper
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on December 30, 2005 at 4:03 am

also, i ran TM on voodoo3 video cards just fine.
if we knew your video card and version of windows, we could point you to proper drivers, thus enabling you to enjoy TM bliss :)

Level 14 Human gamer
Posted on January 2, 2006 at 2:55 am

i had a ATI rage 128 pro and i had the most trouble with it and trying to get tm to run. It did in the end. Then i overclocked it one day anb poof.. no more. its actually is a nice card but not when its on fire in your computer.

Level 13 Human gamer
Posted on January 13, 2006 at 6:28 pm

Would a 3D radeon 7000 graphic card support Threadmarks on an older pc 128 m .5 processor

thanks,
Otto

Level 14 Human Shadow
Posted on January 13, 2006 at 6:45 pm

The Radeon graphics card will work with TM with no problems.

Not sure what that procesor (128 m .5 processor) is though.

Level 14 Human gamer
Posted on January 14, 2006 at 1:54 am

I think he means 128MB RAM and 500Mhz CPU speed. TM should work as well unless you have other programs running and using too much memory

Level 14 Extraplanar Programmer
Posted on November 26, 2007 at 4:57 pm

For posterity, I've added a full answer to this most frequently asked FAQ on the Tread Marks support page.

Level 11 Human gamer
Posted on November 26, 2007 at 7:44 pm

Would a 3D radeon 7000 graphic card support Threadmarks on an older pc 128 m .5 processor

thanks,
Otto

You should have no problem. You may have to update/upgrade your drivers. Take a look to the ATI site.
This site provide prety good optimised drivers:
http://www.omegadrivers.net/

Your machine was still a dream machine when this game was created, so, it should not be a problem.

Electro

Level 12 Human gamer
Alignment: Good
Posted on November 26, 2007 at 9:36 pm

My game never to had(taken) problems on the OpenGL

Level 15 Human Jack-of-all-trades
Posted on November 27, 2007 at 12:33 am

Otto,

Yes, just make sure you have the lated drive with OpenGL support.

The Radeon 7000 is about four years younger than TreadMarks.