Skip navigation

Question about Hit Detection

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Tread Marks > Question about Hit Detection
Level 13 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on December 26, 2005 at 10:11 am

Hi,
I was recently trying to enlarge a projectile using the scalematrix command, but I realized that Tread Marks wasn't detecting hits properly for the projectile. It seems that TM only registers hits in the center of a projectile, no matter how large it is. Is there some way to fix this problem?

Thanks!

Level 14 Human gamer
Posted on December 26, 2005 at 12:42 pm

not 100% sure...but think tm uses the bounding box to determine hit/miss status for meshes. we have run into this 'problem' before (last time I believe it was map 'stuctures') only real fix is to change the actual size of the mesh( .lwo file) if all you do is scale the mesh the texture coord.s are unaffected.

Level 13 Human gamer
Posted on December 26, 2005 at 2:14 pm

Shoot. Thanks anyway.

Level 14 Human Sr Code Monkey
Alignment: Chaotic
Location: lost in the evil lands, of soccer-mom piloted minivans....
Posted on December 27, 2005 at 12:57 am

yah, tm uses point to bounding box collision detection. all projectiles are treated as a single point regardless of size and all objects other than projectiles are treated as boxes. the largest box size is 40 meters square, anything larger than that causes problems when it collision is enabled for the mesh. Also, collision detection between tanks and meshes occure north, south, east and west. top and bottom collision detection doesnot occur.
if a tank ends up inside a mesh, it will bounce around. this holds true unless the tank is moving at a velocity greater than the size of the object in a single frame, since tm does not use path based, predictive, collision detection.

If your tank moves fast enough, it will pass through meshes. Especially in mp mode.

Level 14 Human Unaffiliated Game Maker
Posted on December 27, 2005 at 12:25 pm

If you land ontop of another tank hard enough, you can end up merging with it :D ( well thats what it looks like! ) and jiggling around, THAT tends to happen when there are alot (what? I like having a 99 tank chaos race!) of tanks crammed together also.

About the projectiles - I hadn't noticed! What happens with nukes then? :D Only I was thinking about creating a massive one when my pc gets going again!

Level 14 Human Shadow
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on December 27, 2005 at 3:50 pm

Back in the beta it wasn't limited to 99 tanks. Keato ran a 999 tank race. Something you might not know, the reason the game is called "tread marks" is becuase the tanks litterally leave depressions in the terrain whenever they pass over it. These are very minor and usually not noticable. However, on the 999 tank race there were huge gouges where all the tanks raced 8)

Level 14 Human gamer
Alignment: Chaotic evil
Posted on December 27, 2005 at 5:42 pm

That happened once... but with one tank. I kept rolling forward and backward... for a few hours nonstop. I kept going and going and going, and eventually it made a nice dent... :mrgreen:
(Yes, I was really bored at that time)

Level 14 Human Unaffiliated Game Maker
Posted on December 28, 2005 at 5:41 am

Yeah I got real bored, made a super fast tank, leveled the map in a straight line so that it would tile nicely, and race straight along for ages until it left massive dents! Is there no way to bring 999 tank option back? :cry:

Also, can you increase the depth/blackening of the tracks left? :D

Level 14 Human Shadow
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on December 28, 2005 at 8:52 am

The 99 tank limit was put on TM after they had too many crashes with us crazies going over 100 tanks :D

Level 13 Human gamer
Posted on December 28, 2005 at 6:04 pm

Well, there was a Treads.bmp in the Textures folder. Maybe that can be changed to create a different kind of tread mark....

Level 14 Human gamer
Posted on January 3, 2006 at 3:31 pm

The weapons I created (I mean all of them) are too big for a 99 tank race. I already tried it. :lol: :lol: If you want, I'll set up a server with ninety-nine tanks, battle or race. I will have to take off some of the bigger mods. If so, I will probably post it on one of the topics here.