Skip navigation

Great Spit! A Wiki?

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Tread Marks > Great Spit! A Wiki?
Pages 1 2
Level 14 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on December 20, 2005 at 9:55 pm

Well, unbeknowest to all of you... there's a wiki for Tread Marks.

I honestly should have done more with it, but thank harmless... he's da MAN! It'd got tons of storage space. Put all you want on there. If you rack up points or if you do have enough time, I'll put a buncha ya on the editors list and show you all the tricks to adding modules and working with the forums.

Anyways. Umm.... Rather than rattle on here, you can see for yourselves.

Membership requires that you post something good about cookie dough *grin*

Oh! And we need a more catchy name and title for the place. I'm gonna work on one, but anyone who beats me to it is welcome. :-D

And I bet you're wanting the link by now. Hmm...
One sec... lemme find out where I put the URL.

Hold on... I think I found it.

Ahah!

The fun of it is that we have polls, FAQ's, Articles, calendar system, forums, and all sorta crud.... and all for TM

Level 14 Human pita
Posted on December 20, 2005 at 10:00 pm

hmm, you're 5 years too late with that. :roll:

Level 14 Human gamer
Posted on December 21, 2005 at 12:48 am

perhaps... but heck, who can argue against experimentation when it's easy enough?

No obligation to do anything, folks.
It's there if you wanna use it.

Harmless and I just thought it would be easier to organize thoughts... and it's for the willing... not for those who are too busy to mess around. ;-)

Level 14 Human bookkeeper
Posted on December 21, 2005 at 5:49 am

:shock: yes, treadmarks tikiwiki madness :shock:

lol, basically, dudymas made a wishful comment about wanting a wiki for TM, i had a web host going unused, it came with a wiki, and after thinking about it, i thought a wiki about TM would be a good use for it.

dudy is in charge of it, so he is the guy to talk to about it. i set it up for him a while back, but he got busy with school and real life. also, i never close anything down, so 30 years from now, you will still be able to go visit it, and read stuff in it, and post to it.

contribute if you like, ignore it if you like, so, it's like.... whatever.

i'm more interested in it being a collection of musings about why we all liked TM so much, why we spent so much time playing it, modding it, and why we still play it... (actually) 6 years later.... like a central repository of all things TM, not just the mods or tutorials (since those are in other places), but your experiences.

toodles,
harmless
:)

Level 13 Human Unaffiliated Game Maker
Alignment: Chaotic
Posted on December 21, 2005 at 9:06 am

This'll sound stupid but I don't realy care what it sounds like - WHAT THE HELL IS THE A "WIKI", AND WHAT KIND OF NAME IS "WIKI" FOR ANYTHING :?: :?: :?:

Now that I have that off my chest I'll check it out some more. :D

Level 14 Human Sr Code Monkey
Location: lost in the evil lands, of soccer-mom piloted minivans....
Posted on December 21, 2005 at 11:09 am

WIKI is a shortened form of "wikipedia" which is the name of the software used to make a "wiki".

Basically its a public dictionary/encyclopedia/content-management-system that allows anyone to create informational pages without any knowledge of HTML. You can create links on any piece of text and it will automatically create the target the link is pointing to.

read more here: http://www.wikipedia.org/

Level 14 Extraplanar Programmer
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on December 21, 2005 at 11:40 am

Actually, you've got it backwards, Killer. The term "Wikipedia" comes from the fact that the site is a wiki, not the other way around. Read about wikis here.

Posted on December 21, 2005 at 12:31 pm

uh...I think I understand now...think...just think... :?

Level 14 Human gamer
Posted on December 21, 2005 at 2:36 pm

i'm more interested in it being a collection of musings about why we all liked TM so much, why we spent so much time playing it, modding it, and why we still play it... (actually) 6 years later.... :)

It's gotta be something about open space maps (scenery), real armament, no need to get a clue to open a door and go to next level, no extra-flashing textures that give seizures, and it also used to be friendly players...

I particularly like the simplicity of it (yet, you can learn about something everytime you play).

Level 14 Human gamer
Posted on December 21, 2005 at 4:54 pm

well yeah. The wiki is to be a hub for those who want to share files for Tread Marks... or rants... or tutorials... or FAQ's... anything as long as it follows the etiquette ruleset set forth by harmless. But the rules are nothing new: try not to be a huge jerk. If I find it worth it to moderate your material, I will. ;-)

But yeah... I loved always getting online and someone playing about, goofing off. It sucks because now a-days our house doesn't have the bandwidth and at college I have no time for games. *shrug* but I have a will about me to do stuff that people say only I could get away with. Who knows... I might save one of the IT guy's donut's life and then he'd repay me with a Tread Marks server *grin*

Well then. Anyone here is free to join and submit material and links and whatever else. :-D

Posted on December 22, 2005 at 8:52 am

:D I love it's endlessness, never before have I seen a game where you can create a completely limitless range of mods with hardly any knowledge of porgramming! :D

Level 14 Human gamer
Posted on December 22, 2005 at 2:19 pm

Wellp, both you and pablito are now editors... so you can post stuff to the wiki as you see fit. :-D

Ask if you need help with anything... and you can send email to my gmail account (take a good guess at what my username is... **hint**starts with a d... ends with a y**hint**).

Cheers :D

Level 14 Human gamer
Posted on December 22, 2005 at 2:43 pm

Just wondered if people prefer for me to continue chat about the wiki within this topic, or should I use the blogs/forums/trackers/etc. at the wiki to do it? The reason I ask is because perhaps more people would want to listen or perhaps until it becomes at least a little more active, that there'd be no problem with posting here. I know it makes it more convenient if you only have to log in once to check out the community and discuss...

Ya'lls' choice, yo...

The other thing is that the wiki lets you distribute mods to people and tutorials through RSS feeds, email lists, and download galleries... so it's a little more for if we have tread marks media (you can put as many screenshots and zip files as you like on there... the database space is HUGE).

Sorry... don't mean to bother anyone if this is doing that (Though that doesn't mean I'll not pride myself in my abilities of irritation on the other hand *grin*). My intentions are to make sure everyone fully knows what this does so that I, as an admin, don't have people asking why they can't upload warez or pr0n on the server... that and I don't want people asking "Can I put files on the server? How much does that cost?"

Either of those questions might invoke a wrathful TP'ing of your house/garden and/or vandalizing your dog with mustard and water balloons.

That and I might put a badger in your washing machine.

Dudy-style, fo' shizzle

Level 16 Human gamer
Posted on December 22, 2005 at 10:56 pm

don't have people asking why they can't upload pr0n on the server...

So, is that a no? :wink:

Posted on December 23, 2005 at 11:13 am

:D Uploaded my one (and so far only) mod-pack :D

Still trying to figure out the new page thing.

EDIT - wow it's still uploading! must be big. :lol:

Level 14 Human gamer
Posted on December 24, 2005 at 11:38 pm

Well then, I saw your post about how to post a wiki page and being confused about it. Well... sit yerself down and take a breather to soak this in, because it seems odd at first:

The way wiki's are made, normally, is that it's easiest to refer to a page before it exists in order to create it.

That mouthful basically means that a wiki is made so that anyone can at any time make up a wiki page name and if someone wants to... they can click on the link, get sent to the 'create a wiki page' text form, and create a page.

So... why in sam's hill does a wiki let someone refer to a page that doesn't exist? Does that make sense?

Actually... it does.

The idea of a wiki is that it's growing, and everyone adds... ideally, most members of a wiki are editors. To encourage that fundemental idea, we allow people to merely mention something and anyone else who is further interested can write a page.

Let's see this in action to make more sense of it, eh? Because maybe you might still not know when you would ever use such a feature.

Well, how about you have a question about how the dasTornado works. You already know the documentation, but when you look at something it glossed over... let's say chained entities... you're clueless. If you don't see a page on chained entities, and you want to know about them... you can't just make a page, right? You want someone else to make a page. All you have to do to do that (to do to doo dee doo... I love infinitive phrases and to do them... hyuck hyuck) is make a link to the article "chained entities".

What? It doesn't exist, you say? But the wiki knows this... so it makes the link anyways and adds a question mark punctuation doo-hickey after the term showing everyone that this person wants a page made, and anyone interested merely clicks the link and makes the page.

So... to make a link in the tread marks wiki... you just put two sets of parens around something. A la example:

[code:1:01105619f1] ((Random Chaos))[/code:1:01105619f1]

Viola... entering that into a wiki... ANYWHERE... (put the parens statement into a comment, the forums, another article... anywhere at all)... and it makes a link to the imaginary page with a symbol to show it hasn't been edited yet.

Beautiful system, really.

My question is... who would ever write an article about random chaos? Blech

(By the way! When you first log in, you'll need to contact me or wait for me to give you editor status before you can edit pages... just so I don't get people complaining about not being able to write a nasty article about RC... as we all likely want to do)

Oh... and as for username/nickname pages... since harmless made me the ref, for now, I give everyone here permission to talk smack about RC or Coax... just because.

Wow... *shudders*
I feel powerful.

:-D

*watches as everyone posts an article titled 'dudymas' with talks smack about his mom*

*cries*

That's...
powerful....

:-(

Posted on December 25, 2005 at 4:42 am

Gee - I was having trouble finding the "edit" button (I read the creating a wiki page) still can't, oh well, merry christmas! :D

Level 14 Human bookkeeper
Posted on December 25, 2005 at 6:14 am

if you can edit a page, it will have a paper and pencil icon at the top.
hover the mouse cursor over it and "edit" will pop up as the description.
clicking that will take you to a page where you can edit it or add code to create a new page... once you click the preview or save button, that is.
editing is just like posting on a forum.

Posted on December 26, 2005 at 7:03 am

Ok, thx :)

EDIT: sorry to ask loads of questions but where does the link go? Or where should I try and put it?

Level 14 Human gamer
Posted on December 26, 2005 at 12:55 pm

Ack ack!

*runs in quickly*
Don't have time to say much for your question...
*looks over shoulder*
Parents about to kill me if I don't chop more wood, but I slinked over to the 'puter just to say I added Target to the editor list...

Can you clarify your question more, 2ndself?
I don't mind you asking a lot of questions, because then others won't have as many.
And I'll

Crap!
*drops laptop and runs*

bbl!
*hoists maul over shoulder and runs out door*

Pages 1 2