Skip navigation

A little help?

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Tread Marks > A little help?
Level 14 Human gamer
Alignment: Lawful good
Posted on December 16, 2005 at 11:53 pm

Yeah, For my next modpack I intend to up the quality level, by making my own meshes and textures. But, I'm broke. I know I asked this before, but I need a free mesh editor/creator. If someone could give a link or email it to me that would be highly appreciated. I already know where to get a texture mapping device.

Level 14 Human Shadow
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on December 16, 2005 at 11:56 pm

Blender can now import and export LWO files: www.blender.org

Level 14 Human gamer
Posted on December 17, 2005 at 1:50 pm

Is it that free? I currently have no money of which to speak.

Level 14 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on December 17, 2005 at 3:13 pm

What is Blender, software that creates lwo and luv files, or does it just export and import them :?:

Level 14 Human gamer
Alignment: Chaotic evil
Posted on December 17, 2005 at 4:10 pm

It's an open source 3D rendering program. It will be suitable for making meshes. I have it, but unfortunately... there's too many buttons for me to understand... lol. Overall, it's a decent program, especially at it's price (Free).

Level 14 Human Shadow
Posted on December 17, 2005 at 6:38 pm

It takes time to learn :)

BTW, take the time to learn the keyboard. I've got an old keymap, but most of the keys are still valid: http://www.vorklift.com/temp/blenderboard.gif

Level 14 Human Unaffiliated Game Maker
Alignment: Chaotic
Posted on December 18, 2005 at 11:09 am

OOh - IK - Blender! I tried that but honestly I don't like all the buttons! And I couldn't find an intro or tutorial or anything in there. :!:

Level 14 Human gamer
Posted on December 18, 2005 at 11:50 am

I've decided not to use blender, it's not as good for what I'm doing. I'm now going to try the one month free trial on Milkshape 3d. So far I like Milkshape.

Level 14 Human Shadow
Posted on December 18, 2005 at 1:00 pm

Hunt arround 2ndself - there are lots of things available on it. It's quite easy to use - it just takes getting used to.

Check out elYsiun - it's a whole forum devoted to Blender and there are lots of tips there on how to do things: http://www.elysiun.com/forum/index.php

Level 14 Extraplanar Programmer
Posted on December 19, 2005 at 11:54 am

Blender really does take a lot of getting used to. It's not intuitive at all; I would never have had a chance of learning how to get anything done with it if I hadn't read through the tutorials on getting started.

That said, there's some great tutorials to get you started here.

Level 14 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on December 25, 2005 at 12:12 am

Extrude is quite possible the most used thing in my arsenal when I create stuff. That, and filling a face requires shift-F

I've just dabbled for a while. I love modeling with it... it uses a very discrete gui and requires very little thought... just memorization that takes a good while to practice. You have to know what things do, and then it's rather nothing more. It'd built like how vi or emacs can be compared to microsoft word. Barebones power... raw power. Here's an example of a fluid simulation I did with it recently (mind you, I suck at gamma fixes... but oh well) (oh! and I used gimp to make this gif flick):

Yeah... notice the fact that I did a terrible job aiming the fluids... but oh well. I had to sit there for about 25 minutes waiting in agony for the diff eq. solver...

But that's the power of blender for you.