Skip navigation

Holiday Server Pack File download

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Tread Marks > Holiday Server Pack File download
Level 14 Human gamer
Alignment: Chaotic
Posted on December 15, 2005 at 6:49 pm

Download links:

Server Pack:
RC's HTTP server: [url]http://treadmarks.vorklift.com/holiday_pack/Holiday_2k5.zip</a>
RC's FTP server: [url]ftp://www.vorklift.com/pub/tmdb/2005/holiday_pack/Holiday_2k5.zip</a>
Harmless' HTTP: [url]http://www.hallsted.org/org-downloads/Holiday_2k5.zip</a>

Patch for pack:
RC's HTTP server: [url]http://treadmarks.vorklift.com/holiday_pack/Holiday_2k5_patch.zip</a>
RC's FTP server: [url]ftp://www.vorklift.com/pub/tmdb/2005/holiday_pack/Holiday_2k5_patch.zip</a>
Harmless' HTTP: [url]http://www.hallsted.org/org-downloads/Holiday_2k5_patch.zip</a>

More links as they become available.

Read me file:

Installation:
Unzip to your TM directory.

Contents and credits:

Unmodded custom weapons:
ELf Launcher by A2597
Ice Ball by A2597
Tree Gun by Killer
Angel Strike by Lord Byron
Random Weapon by Random Chaos
Tree Strike by Random Chaos

Modified custom weapons (not compatible with non-holiday pack versions):
Acid Cloud by Vlad
Plasma Rain by Vlad
das Tornado by Jvortex

Modified stock weapons:
nuke/matter bomb ENT by kv
laser art by kv

Custom Maps:
cygnus 6 by Sailor
DM Arminto Valley by Sailor
DM Bearing Glacier by Sailor
DM Maelstrom by Sailor
DM Nuclear Winter by Kevlar

Modified Stock Maps:
Winter Woodland (Woodland) modified by kv

Custom Trees:
New Tree art by Random Chaos

:D

Level 13 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on December 15, 2005 at 7:56 pm

The holiday pack is ready? When I download it, may I use it on my server whenever I set it up. :D :D :D :D :D

Level 14 Human Unaffiliated Game Maker
Posted on December 16, 2005 at 10:20 am

How many mods do you want on your server?!!! :D :lol:

Level 14 Human gamer
Posted on December 16, 2005 at 9:15 pm

:(

ok, minor 'server killing' issue with the pack...

the holiday server was up, but something in the pack is causing it to freeze. So, for now, the racing server is back up.

:oops:

I'm doing testing myself to try and figure out what the problem is, but it's not going too good.

What i've done and found:

I ran my own server with the pack installed and watched the server window and a processor usage window. After ~14 minutes from the time the server was launched, the processor usage suddenly spiked to 100% and the server window froze.

I then played a single player game with the pack installed. Everything was playing fine, I saw many of the weapons in use, then without warning, the game froze again. At the time it froze, I was being hit by multiple snow storm (plasma rain) bursts, and when the game froze, all the trees that were visible disappeared from the screen.

Note: I followed up that test with just the plasma rain, it's weight increased to 100, with 8 AI, on wind chill. The round ended without problem.

Level 14 Human gamer
Posted on December 16, 2005 at 9:35 pm

UPDATE: it's nothing I did to the weapons.

Just ran another test with the pack weapons installed in their unmodified versions. After ~8 minutes, the server froze again.

Level 14 Human gamer
Posted on December 16, 2005 at 10:01 pm

UPDATE 2: I think I found the problem.

[edit] nope...

Level 14 Human Shadow
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on December 16, 2005 at 11:22 pm

Update 3: Problem found. The offending weapon is the Angel Strike (aka Wrath of God).

Weapon calls Projectile 1 which calls (on hit) Spewer 1 which calls Projectile 2 which calls (on hit) Spewer 2 which calls Projectile 1 which calls ... Ad Infinitum.

The problem only occurs when an AI is stupid enough to fire it directly into a Mesh, which, of course, cannot explode. However, it theoretically can also occur any time an Angel Strike hits a mesh while tracking a tank, though I cannot easily test this ingame due to limits of playing with 1 player and no AIs.

---

I have confirmed that all other "original author" weapons don't break TM, however, I cannot confirm that all modded weapons don't have a problem, though none appear to.

Theoretically Plasma Rain can break TM (it can technically enter an infinate loop also), however becuase of the way it spawns its spewers, this is virtually impossibe to happen becuase the weapon must explode normally (non-hit) first and then must hit a mesh on a non-tracking projectile. Since this is used on the LDA weekly Fun Server, I think we'd have seen a problem with this before now, so I'm considering it safe.

Level 14 Human gamer
Posted on December 16, 2005 at 11:39 pm

ok, i'll remake the pack and send it around to the various hosts, tomorrow.

Level 14 Human Shadow
Posted on December 16, 2005 at 11:40 pm

Technically if you just fix the LDA server version the clients that have already downloaded 4mbs don't need to do it again, though clearly we need to fix the master for those who wish to host mirrored servers.

My recommendation is make the 2nd spewer not spew a projectile, thus breaking the endless loop.

--

Oh, that reminds me. We also need to look at the Shadow Summoner (including the version used on some of the LDA servers) for an endless loop also. I've noticed it while playing after the ship crashes.

Level 14 Human gamer
Posted on December 17, 2005 at 1:57 am

is that a simple fix(edit or otherwise remove 1 line)? if so which line(for those of us on dial-up who wish to fix it ourselves)? or mayhap a patch would work.

Level 14 Human gamer
Posted on December 17, 2005 at 10:26 pm

Server patch posted, see first post.

Level 14 Human gamer
Posted on December 18, 2005 at 1:19 am

thank you, much appreciated. bit more envolved than I had thought... nice touch with laser(though I would have been tempted to monkey with plasma mines, ornaments perhaps :))

Level 14 Human gamer
Posted on December 18, 2005 at 4:22 am

unless I've done something wrong(installing patch) it is not yet fixed. if the problem was in spewer\god wrath1...then why send out a replacement 'spewer\godwrath2'?
edit spelling

Level 14 Human gamer
Posted on December 18, 2005 at 9:25 am

:oops:

I didn't chase the ent calls far enough...

godwrath projectile 1 called either spewer 1 or 2, which both call projectile 2, I fixed it so that spewer 2 doesn't call projectile 2 anymore, but what I didn't catch was that projectile 2 calls spewer 1 when it hits something.

so, weapon fires, hits something, calls spewer 1, which calls projectile 2, which calls spewer 1, which calls projectile 2, etc...

ok, to break the sequence, i'm changing godwrath2 the projectile so that this line:

ExploHitEnt = spewer/godwrath1

now reads:

ExploHitEnt = spewer/godwrath2

and breaks the sequence.

Level 14 Human Shadow
Posted on December 18, 2005 at 10:34 am

New patch uploaded...same download link for the patch. Hopefully KV caught all the bugs this time :)

Level 14 Human Unaffiliated Game Maker
Posted on December 18, 2005 at 11:04 am

I think I had this problem with popcorn, since the projectiles fired by the spewer kept hitting the statue, the kept multiplying, then I drove my tank near it on race mode and my tank went slowly down to -1890 hp before I moved away due to mass loss of smooth gameplay!

My tip would be not to fire it at things that can't die, and if the AI tries it, blow 'em up :D .

Do I need to re-download the holiday pack now? :shock:

Level 14 Human Shadow
Posted on December 18, 2005 at 12:51 pm

Just the patch - it fixes the files that have the bug

Level 14 Human gamer
Posted on December 18, 2005 at 3:35 pm

the patch also alters the behavior of the plasma rain, and adds one more little graphical mod.

Level 14 Human bookkeeper
Posted on December 18, 2005 at 8:56 pm

just tested the patch out and it apppears to be fixed.
we should be good to go.

toodles,
harmless
:)

Level 14 Extraplanar Programmer
Posted on December 19, 2005 at 11:58 am

The LDA Holiday server is up and running now, and it seems to be working great.

Good job, guys.