Skip navigation

Disapering Smoke, Explo, and crud ents?

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Tread Marks > Disapering Smoke, Explo, and crud ents?
Level 13 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on November 4, 2005 at 5:03 pm

Ok this is very iratating, all I want to know is if it is me or the game. Right now i am working on the XDM Mod and I want to know why the particles will disapear for a few seconds and then re-apear. I know there is nothing in the ent files that contribute to this, such as fade, fadebias, grow or size. If it is me then ill see a psyc, but i think its the game and some sort of limitatins of particles or ents in the game at one time. THx for you response ahead of time.

Level 13 Human gamer
Posted on November 5, 2005 at 1:20 am

its a limitation. seen it happen before(iirc the plasma storm/ rain, one of those, as well as various other mods) where my flaming tank seems to be a low blaze(not a bad thing since I can see where to shoot :)).

Level 13 Human Unaffiliated Game Maker
Alignment: Chaotic
Posted on November 5, 2005 at 8:11 am

I've seen it on a 99 tank race where a true laser mod i downloaded - along with other things - dont show. Some sort of limmit to how busy it can be or something.

Level 13 Human Shadow
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on November 5, 2005 at 9:02 am

I've seen it happen with sound ents too. Basically, if you get too many ents in your mod, things start to randomly vanish occasionally. That's, at least, been my experience.

Level 15 Human Jack-of-all-trades
Posted on November 5, 2005 at 4:20 pm

Since I don't have a stereo and don't know any other way to do it, I run media player and TM together, it lags the game a bit and I've seen smoke trails break and start again higher than the previous trail.

I assumed it had something to do with how busy the system is running media player and TM.

Level 13 Human gamer
Posted on November 6, 2005 at 2:02 am

thx guys, yeah i have seen all of this before, smoke trails cutting out, sounds not playing every time, and explosions not apearing or disapearing to fast. The only thing i would like to know is how to fix it. One thing i have done is shrink the file sizes eg. started off with a 128x128 sprite at 17k and shrank it to a 32x32 sprite at 5.05k. It seems to help a bit but not enough. anyother ideas?

Posted on November 6, 2005 at 8:53 am

Since I don't have a stereo and don't know any other way to do it, I run media player and TM together, it lags the game a bit and I've seen smoke trails break and start again higher than the previous trail.

I assumed it had something to do with how busy the system is running media player and TM.

If your on about getting different music on TM I think it has to be MP3 files that you add to the folder. Wav doesn't work.

Level 13 Human gamer
Posted on November 6, 2005 at 6:36 pm

no its not the music... i already have added loads of music, almost my entire 2 gb library of techno music (lol) and the music load just fine and yeah they are mp3. its the other sounds such as explosions, weapon fireing and such that some time do not play and i think it is because you have to run them through an ent to use them. Tank sounds on the other hand go directly t the source and ignore any ent sounds.

Posted on November 7, 2005 at 10:18 am

Tank sounds on the other hand go directly t the source and ignore any ent sounds.

Wow , didn't know that.

But I was thinking about when Vor said he didn't know any other way of doing "it" (?)

You know any good places to download mp3 techno music for free maybee. I'd like that! :D

Level 15 Human Jack-of-all-trades
Posted on November 7, 2005 at 11:15 am

My query was about ingame music vs. ingame sounds and GMan clued me in recently that all I had to do was dump MP3 files into the Music directory.

When I have loads of spare time, I'll convert 7GB, 1,833 file music library from the various WMA and MP3 formats to all MP3 but I'm in a hurry. The console lag isn't as bad as the lag I get when I head for LDA and I've gotten so I don't notice it on Dinochrome or Dino-Stock.

By the way, if anyone has a copy of the Conan tank mod where Mako screams Conan ingame if you win, I would appreciate a copy. My versions don't seem to work and I haven't had time to tinker with them. Don't know why it works on selection but not ingame.

Level 13 Human gamer
Posted on November 7, 2005 at 11:59 pm

Vor, The Vox sound ent is probably missing, but like you said you don't have time.

2ndSelf: [url]http://www.mp3.com.au/music/tracks/0/page1.asp</a>
[url]http://www.ctgmusic.com/</a>
[url]http://music.download.com/2001-1_32-0.html</a>

This is were I get my music ^^^

Level 13 Human gamer
Posted on November 8, 2005 at 2:14 am

the vox ent
class = sound
type = Conan

sound = Vox/Conan.wav

volume = 2.0

FreqVariance = 0.0
Priority = 1.0
Is2DSound = 1
Announcer = 1

VolumeBias = 0.8
this goes in 'addons\entities\sound\vox
hth

Posted on November 8, 2005 at 10:49 am

Wow so much choice!
I managed to download one from the middle link but there's just so many and I can't figure their download links.
Have you got any favourites/suggestions/help?
Thx BTW.
______________________________________________-

EDIT: Sorry I did have a suggestion. If your smoke/ weapon or something like that involves lots of small particles ( does it? )
Then you may be able to acheive the same affect by reducing the number of particles, but having more than one particle on a texture ( if that makes any sense ), kind of like the plasmaparticle bmp's.

Hope that helps!

Level 13 Human gamer
Posted on November 8, 2005 at 7:39 pm

Vor: The only other thing i can think of is that the path in the racetank ent is not corect or the file name of the vox does not match the type.

2ndSelf: I recomend Absent Halo, Dj GULIT, EverReal, Leadboy, NU-NRG, Power Plant, Speed Freek, Trance[]Control, and Trance Wave 2.
Here is alink to a site that does Video game music Remixs, its a good site.
[url]http://www.ocremix.org/</a>

O yes, i had thought of the same thing but the problem with that is i am trying to achive an explosion that has volume. I do though ave some that use a multi-particle bmp. THx

Posted on November 9, 2005 at 10:47 am

Two things.
1. I still can't figure the download system but thx anyways.
2. I beleive Dudymas has some good music on his site but I'm not sure if there's a way (or if it's even allowed) to download it to my pc.

On a related topid to this one I'll be posting a new LDA support quere today.