Skip navigation

Making Videos

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Tread Marks > Making Videos
Level 14 Human gamer
Alignment: Lawful good
Posted on October 31, 2005 at 10:50 am

Hey, I need a little help is there a way to make a gameplay video of Tread Marks without expensive stuff and long hours of work. And if so can someone tell me. P.S. I have windows movie maker.

Thanks in advance.

Level 14 Extraplanar Programmer
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on October 31, 2005 at 12:11 pm

Lately we've been using FRAPS and Wax for the Hegemony videos. FRAPS is relatively cheap, and Wax is free, but it's pretty typical for video editing to involve long hours of work. That's why people actually get paid for that sort of thing.

Level 14 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on October 31, 2005 at 12:31 pm

I know of a couple of folks who have made videos of tm. there are a few ways to do it. 1st method would use a tv out vid card and feed it into a video recorder(tho I suspect that is not quite what you had in mind) 2nd method uses tm's screen shot mode and consumes hd space at an enormous rate. you set the screen res at 320 x 200 and when you see something interesting you start grabbing frames which you later assemble into a movie(I think win movie maker can do this not sure) at 15 frames per second, any clip more than a few seconds gets real tedious real fast. any way you use is gonna consume lots of drive space (and take a fair amount of comp time even if you can use a batch file). as Rick said thats why folks get paid lots o'money to do it proffesionaly.

Level 14 Human gamer
Alignment: Chaotic
Posted on October 31, 2005 at 1:46 pm

I've made a few recordings of TM games. The method I used was to loop my video out back to the video in, and used my tv tuner program (came with the pc) to record the signal.

Unfortunately, that method does not allow for the recording of sounds as the smallest noise becomes a deafening roar as it loops and gets amplified.

Basically, you need:

a way to get a signal out
a way to get a signal in
a way to record that signal
a way to work with the recorded file

So far, with the info you provided, you have the last item on the list.

Level 14 Human gamer
Alignment: Lawful good
Posted on October 31, 2005 at 3:46 pm

Hey Rick, I decided to go with Wax 2.0, one question? It won't open the user guide i could use some help.

Level 14 Extraplanar Programmer
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on October 31, 2005 at 7:57 pm

The user guide is just a PDF. Make sure you have Adobe Reader installed.

Also, keep in mind that Wax is just a video editor -- it won't let you capture video from the game; that's what we use FRAPS for.

You'll also get much better support on Wax from DebugMode's forums. We've used Wax for two videos now, but we're still not particularly familiar with it >:)

Level 14 Human pita
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on October 31, 2005 at 10:22 pm

another free one

CamStudio

http://sourceforge.net/projects/camstudio

despite what it says on the website, you can record sound from the speakers as well as from the mic. Or no sound at all...

Level 14 Human gamer
Alignment: Chaotic evil
Posted on November 1, 2005 at 12:11 am

another free one

CamStudio

http://sourceforge.net/projects/camstudio

despite what it says on the website, you can record sound from the speakers as well as from the mic. Or no sound at all...

Thanks Kong, I'll use camstudio instead of fraps... i'm broke now so I can't buy fraps anyways... oops... :wink: