Skip navigation

I stopped playing (and posting) when the BBS changed. Why??

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Tread Marks > I stopped playing (and posting) when the BBS changed. Why??
Level 14 Human
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on October 8, 2005 at 8:19 pm

I can't figure it out, but it's the truth.

When the BBS changed to its new slick format, I stopped checking it, I stopped posting to it, and I stopped playing TM.

To be fair, I started a new job 6 months ago, and I have very little time to actually play the game, but why stop viewing the BBS and posting to it?

I can't explain that, and I'm wondering if anyone else experienced a similar situation. The old format was "comfortable". Maybe the new format is too much some how?

Maybe I'm just an aging hippie who needs to go back to playing his old scratched records.

Level 14 Human Shadow
Posted on October 8, 2005 at 10:05 pm

I don't know. For me it is the reverse. I started posting again and started playing again.

Perhaps I'm just sapping your power :twisted:

Level 15 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on October 9, 2005 at 12:03 am

LOL....now what am I suppose to do when you are the evil one....LOL

Level 14 Human gamer
Posted on October 9, 2005 at 4:52 am

I can't explain that, and I'm wondering if anyone else experienced a similar situation.I understand your pain. Seeing an avatar with Satan's face on it was enough to make me swear off the internet for a week. :lol:

Level 14 Human gamer
Posted on October 9, 2005 at 1:08 pm

I was wondering where where you synack.

This "new" forum has some things different from the other one... but not much... the main thing is the skin color :lol:

If you still feel ackward with this forum, browse it a couple of minutes and you'll noticed is not so different.

**Change is inevitable, but not all is bad.. you can have the good of both worlds: just play your scratched 60's & 70's records and also play TM on-line :wink:

**Putting up with changes in life does not mean you're a yuppie!! :lol: you can join the breed of tech-hippies :o

Level 15 Human Jack-of-all-trades
Posted on October 9, 2005 at 1:11 pm

Synack,

I notice a large number of pre phpBB members have fallen off the face of the earth.

In paralell Matrix took down his site and disappeared as well.

Interestingly enough, the new web site seems to have generated a new influx of TM players.

Go figure.

I added this site to my RSS feeds but, never read the feeds unless I see something from the pre phpBB members.

I do try and check the board regularly though I find the tone has changed.

Posted on October 9, 2005 at 1:26 pm

and RAS, please go here [url]http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/audio.pl?wussy001.wav=Yellow+Beer+Drinker</a> unless you think you can handle it which case, please go here [url]http://www.arrogantbastard.com/</a>

Level 14 Human gamer
Posted on October 11, 2005 at 1:13 am

:idea:

Why thank you Vor. Having exhausted so many alias names I find it harder and harder to come up with something unique. The answer was brilliantly simple: Start going through the list of sweet nothings thrown my way by my adoring friends Guido, Matrix and Vor.

I shan't be running out of names any time soon.

Level 14 Human gamer
Posted on October 11, 2005 at 9:30 am

:idea:
I shan't be running out of names any time soon.

...you have not used your name in so long, I believe it is an alias now... :P

Posted on October 11, 2005 at 11:48 am

Now, now RAS, take it in context, you said

Why thank you Vor. Having exhausted so many alias names I find it harder and harder to come up with something unique.

But my response was to

I understand your pain. Seeing an avatar with Satan's face on it was enough to make me swear off the internet for a week.

From a family standpoint, you can't use the names I've called you when you are in an 'Irascible' state of mind . :wink:

Level 14 Extraplanar Programmer
Posted on October 11, 2005 at 2:30 pm

I can't figure it out, but it's the truth.

When the BBS changed to its new slick format, I stopped checking it, I stopped posting to it, and I stopped playing TM.

To be fair, I started a new job 6 months ago, and I have very little time to actually play the game, but why stop viewing the BBS and posting to it?

I can't explain that, and I'm wondering if anyone else experienced a similar situation. The old format was "comfortable". Maybe the new format is too much some how?

Maybe I'm just an aging hippie who needs to go back to playing his old scratched records.

I don't think you're the only one. We seem to have lost a few of the old members (which is a shame) and gotten a bunch of new ones.

I do think the new boards are more inviting, and we have gotten a new influx of members, but an influx of noobs is always kind of uncomfortable for "oldbies" (at least, that's how I always feel when we get such an influx of noobs at The Cult).

Level 14 Human gamer
Posted on October 11, 2005 at 4:42 pm

Irascible state of mind? Pfft. That was nothing but love baby.

While 666 and I have disagreed on the forum, I find him to be a most likeable gent. He's been kind enough to have me over several times for LAN parties. In doing so I've gotten to know him just a little. I count him amongst the hard working family men that make this country great. I think 666 knows that I kid. So your seemingly hostile reply was unwarranted. But then again... maybe he burns me in effigy on his front lawn every Saturday night. He wouldn't be the first. :wink:

My sincerest apologies to Synack for the distraction. We arrogant you-know-whats tend to hijack threads. :oops:

Since we are talking about the forum: I HATE the friggin forum!!! The added functionality is nice. But there's so much fluff that I can hardly see the content under all the purty colors. Avatars, huge sigs and the like are for my teenaged brother - not me. But then again... It's all good. 8)

Level 14 Human Shadow
Posted on October 11, 2005 at 4:47 pm

I don't think you're the only one. We seem to have lost a few of the old members (which is a shame) and gotten a bunch of new ones.

I do think the new boards are more inviting, and we have gotten a new influx of members, but an influx of noobs is always kind of uncomfortable for "oldbies" (at least, that's how I always feel when we get such an influx of noobs at The Cult).

So, does this mean we can blame all of this on Rick? :twisted:

Level 14 Human
Posted on October 11, 2005 at 7:21 pm

Thanks for the feedback guys. I feel somewhat better, although strangely not. But, that's ok.

NP with the hijack stuff - that's par for the course. (speaking of which, whatever happened to Paranor and his clan?? Geez .. haven't seen anything from them in ages!)

I guess time marches on, and you either live it, or live with it. Sorta like having bees live in your head, eh?

No worries, mate. (did I sound Aussie there? I was trying to.)

Sailor!!!!!! Where are you???????

ok, I'll be good ... for now.

Play on, MacDuff!

Level 14 Extraplanar Programmer
Posted on October 11, 2005 at 7:32 pm

So, does this mean we can blame all of this on Rick? :twisted:
If that's not what I'm here for, what am I here for?

Level 14 Human gamer
Posted on October 11, 2005 at 7:57 pm

help.... mostly :D and @ synack i do the same... but i have adhd who knows what im going to be doin next lol, @ Irascible, so overall you like the forum? or like and hate it at the same time :D but anyways its allways nice to see a famillar face :)

Level 15 Human gamer
Posted on October 11, 2005 at 9:05 pm

[b] :? One reason I think we lost some is that the site was in the game menu. Since we can't use it right at our mouse, we are forced to make another move. This fact has cause me to loose contact such as you synack, no not to old just harder to make changes in our life.

You know that once you get use to one way, it's a no brainer you just do it, but change now one must think another way, not so simple.

Any way good luck on the new job, looking fwd to seeing you again up on the boards ! :)

Level 14 Human
Posted on October 13, 2005 at 6:43 pm

I never used the in-game link to the BBS, so that's not it.

Regardless, thanks for the feedback.

Level 14 Human gamer
Posted on October 18, 2005 at 9:29 am

If I might add to all of this, one thing that always helps me is that when something goes wrong, I find a woman and blame her. :wink: