Skip navigation

Which is better Tanks or Mechs?

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Tread Marks > Which is better Tanks or Mechs?
Pages 1 2
Level 14 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on September 21, 2005 at 2:45 pm

So come on answer it.

Level 14 Human Unaffiliated Game Maker
Alignment: Chaotic
Posted on September 21, 2005 at 5:07 pm

Uhm....Is there a mech-tank crossbreed?
or a mech-tank-spaceship crossbreed?

Level 14 Human gamer
Alignment: Chaotic evil
Posted on September 21, 2005 at 6:09 pm

Not yet... I think that would be interesting to make... *starts drawing blueprints...* :mrgreen:

Level 14 Human gamer
Posted on September 21, 2005 at 7:33 pm

I have allread drawn up a blueprint or a mech carrier... they get launched from space, and Id go with an atlas any day...

Posted on September 22, 2005 at 10:33 am

I have some drawings you'd like unescapeable but they're on paper so I can't show em on the computer :(

Level 14 Human gamer
Posted on September 22, 2005 at 3:47 pm

Anyone like my ship it rocks.

Level 14 Human gamer
Posted on September 22, 2005 at 4:40 pm

nice...but anything that comes into contact with my warhammers is a dead heap of metal... plus im number one ranked in the last man standing for mechassault 2 :P

Level 14 Human gamer
Posted on September 23, 2005 at 10:48 am

Hey I can dodge anything.

5 mins later noooooooooooooo im out.

Posted on September 23, 2005 at 4:28 pm

Hopefully this shows how a mech can fly - repeat in oposite direction the land - note that on landing the legs would already be outstreched while the mech is moving forward at some speed - this way the mech can either touchdown and continue running to loose its speed slowly or use the sheer weight of it's self to push down in the ground and stop quickly.

Excuse the rushed pictures it's only a diagram! :wink:

Level 15 Human Jack-of-all-trades
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on September 23, 2005 at 5:33 pm

Based on my recollection of the MechWarrior engines I've played on, even the lightest mech would not have the ability to properly retract their ambulatory manipulators and doing so would cause problems for unexpected landings.

Also, most of the mechs placed 'jump jets' in the legs anyway and the name alone indicates the purpose of the purpose of them in the game.

In order to establish any decent time in the air you had to increase the number of jump jets and thus decrease armor/weapon/heat sink capability which rarely paid off as you would end up with too much heat build up and no significant gain in flight capability.

Level 14 Human gamer
Posted on September 24, 2005 at 6:11 am

yes thats true and I have played in Mechs.

I only use Jump jets in an emergancy

Posted on September 24, 2005 at 9:38 am

I don't understand you at all.
My plans were in fact nothing to do with any specific mech games - just a theoretical suggestion.

Plus if a mech were to be launched from space it could use thrusters and jump jets to landeasily - and if built for the purpose of flight - have it's legs folded up while it descends, unfolding them when it is close to landing - thus increasing the streamlining of the mech during flight. 8)

Note that anything can be done on a computer game no-matter how unrealistic - but I think this would be quite effective looking and dead cool to see!

Posted on September 24, 2005 at 3:19 pm

You miss my point and they way the game plays out, hot drops are still low level fly bys allowing for short, controlled (if you remembered to pick a mech with jets) falls from the drop ship to ground.
If you are thinking of an assault drop from space you are thinking of the wrong game.
To drop equipment of this type and complexity from orbit you would need at least an assault pod to protect them from reentry burn otherwise, you would end up with a mech too hot to hit the ground fighting.
Take some time and read some of the Bolo series released in the last five years which discusses heavy equipment drops in combat.
Mechs are heavy, not BOLO heavy but they are heavy. While armored they are high on technology that I would consider delicate by real world standards. I believe that the developers tried in many ways to introduce a level of believabilty into their released product by not overdoing the capabilities of the equipment in use. Mechs are armored articulated seiged vehicles with limited flight capability. You could armor a mech for reentry but then you wouldn't have much better than a pillbox once it hit the ground. Especially with reentry temperatures and the heat management requirements of the game.
Read Bolo Brigade by William Keith Jr., then come back and evaluate your assertions based on an author who really thought out how a chicken walking assault mech would work as a reentry vehicle.

Posted on September 24, 2005 at 3:27 pm

And for the Atlas/WarHammer lovers; a well trained mech pilot with a properly configured Shadow Cat or Dire Wolf will often win the versatility battle and the day against more heavily armed, armored (slow) assault mechs designed for stationary target slugfests.

Beside, your legs are such good targets.....

Just because I use a Barbarian in TM, don't think that I would consider bigger and slower as better in the MechWorld.

Posted on September 24, 2005 at 3:57 pm

For the last time I am refering to no game at all - plus if a large dropshi were to take light-fast mechs just inside the atmosphere then drop them it could work - remember I don't play many mech games - especialy no modern ones - I may get one sometime but I would consider light fast mechs the way to go.
Also battle-tech on the sega was exactly the same as a mechwarrior game on the snes. And check out the mech in the background:

Kool

Level 14 Human gamer
Posted on September 25, 2005 at 4:26 am

it depends on the Mechs abillitys.

Posted on September 25, 2005 at 5:53 am

Maybee some sort of thing with retractable wings and legs - that could be good.
Plus anyone ever see a cartoon called zoids? I admit it was a bit cheesy but the robots and graphics of them were good.

AD2317
With the reaper clan finaly destroyed mankind was able to rebuild it's devestated forces. The reaper clan had used a computer virus to infect and take control of military mechs and generaly cause complete chaos.
With their super-computer base now destroyed we are now safe.

AD2320
Mankinds forces are in full health

AD2320-6th month
Small heavey objects were spotted on radar crash-landing near GloryII on investigation it was found that nothing was in the area but a few strange dirt heaps.

AD2322
Three unknowen metalic drones ( unmanned ) hovered over towards Glory II before burrowing underground and moving rapidly towards the city before bursting up and causing complete chaos.
3 Raptor, 4 Centaurs class mechs and the one prototype 1st consciousness mech-drone were sent to defend the city however after 3 hours of conflict, the remaining Centaur and the 1st Consciousness Drone were forced to retreat, the city was lost, and only one of the strange metalic "Wyrms" was slayed.

AD2367
After many losses the weakness and location of the "Enemies" fortress was found. With computer styled inteligence theese living metalic things would only attack a mech or vehicle ect. which had some sort of Biological creature onboard. The original landing ships had burrowed underground, reaching out with tentacles and scanning our technology. With the Consciousness drone still under production the enemy had worked out that all our technology that could be used in our defence needed a living pilot. No more scans had been made since, they had no idea about the three existing prototype Consciousness drones we now possessed, and the one we used against them in Glory III had a pilot onboard as a supervisor.

AD2368
The three drones we possessed - !st 2nd and 3rd consciousness - were used against them, unmanned and programmed with the objective of laying seige to the base of the enemy, now a huge lump under the earth, raised lika a large hill, this was where their commanding ship lay growing slowly in power and in size. In this battle was long as the 3 drones mannaged to destroy the main pod of the enemy, but the remaining enemy drones, begining to rot already, noticed the intruding drones and began to fire at them, slowly the rotting forces were beaten back, but the man-made drones sustained heavey damage.

AD2373
Metalic cells taken from the alien drones were used to create 3 self-conscious drones, Hydra, ChimeraX and Alien Consciousness. Havoc Drones. It was found that when connected to a crystaline power force the alien cells were capable of multiplying themselves. This was how the Havoc Drones were created. When they escaped 2 years later - secret government buisness of course - they were thought of as no threat, they had been made unarmed.
ChimeraX had been given the inteligence of a tameable cat - in the hope of training it as a miltary servant.
Hydra had completly artificial inteligence, it was to be kept in a base and used as a powerful weapon
And Alien Consciousness was made to think as the Enemy had, but serve the Human race.
But the escaped drones were not harmless. They could collect more crystal power cores - dig for them - and multiply their cells to create their own weapons. War had been unleashed again, and we had empowered out own enemies.

-From my own mind - inspired by my own drawings-
-2ndself-

Well, thats me tired out! :D

Level 14 Human gamer
Posted on September 25, 2005 at 9:01 am

It is interesting to see the poll and surprised that Spaceships only has my vote on it.

Posted on September 25, 2005 at 1:53 pm

Um - it would apear that someone else added a vote of space ships after that. No comments about my timeline script then? :D

Level 14 Human gamer
Posted on September 25, 2005 at 2:19 pm

Yes it had to be today as i was the only 1 to have voted for that.
Who voted for that?

Pages 1 2