Skip navigation

Problem rotating maps.

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Tread Marks > Problem rotating maps.
Pages 1 2
Level 13 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on September 20, 2005 at 9:49 am

Lately TM hasn't been able to connect back to the server (either LDA or DINOCHROME). The game stays in either "Trying to Connect" or "Info Sent"... If I wait long enough, it will send me back to the original map that we just played. (not the next one being rotated).
I find myself ctrlaltdel just so I can shut down the game and restart it and see if I can connect (sometimes it takes twice to do this)....
I have not changed the original addons folder or any other major things in the game..... This started happening maybe 3 weeks ago... sometimes all maps rotate fine... sometimes I get trouble map after map :(
Can someone give me an idea....please?! :idea:
THANKS/

Level 13 Extraplanar Programmer
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on September 20, 2005 at 12:17 pm

At the moment we're not entirely sure what's causing the problems you're experiencing; you can try uninstalling and reinstalling just to make sure it's not something on your end, but the Tread Marks community has been playing with the servers quite a bit over the last few weeks, so that might have something to do with it.

To help us diagnose your problem there's a couple things you can help us out with:
* When you say this happens on the "LDA" server, do you mean the server titled, simply, "LDA", or one of the other LDA servers? If so, which one(s)?
* Does it always seem to happen with the same maps, or do you notice that sometimes the same map will work fine and sometimes it won't?

(This thread really belongs in the Support forum, but I've moved it here so that the people who run the Tread Marks servers see it.)

Level 13 Human gamer
Posted on September 20, 2005 at 12:46 pm

I've seen this happen. what it seemed to me were; a map load failure, connection timed out. the timed out bit hasn't happened much since I got a faster box, having a boat load of mods will aggravate the prob.

Level 13 Human Sr Code Monkey
Alignment: Chaotic
Location: lost in the evil lands, of soccer-mom piloted minivans....
Posted on September 20, 2005 at 12:47 pm

That would mean that you're client has timed out when trying to reconnect to the game server. TM servers log you off when the map is changing and the client would then reconnect. If you time out during the reconnect, then the client drops you back into the last map. That usually happens when there are more people trying to simultaniously reconnect to the server than it can handle and/or clients banging into one another trying to reconnect. This could be due to packets being dropped (because of a network buffer or queue being too small to cache the incoming packets), or TM not having a garunteed unique back-off/retry timer policy regarding server connection.

On the client end, it could be a bad network card or drivers, or the ISP being overloaded (which can happen easily with consumer DSL or consumer cable). If your using a modem connection, then you may have a noisey line. However on the client side this would affect the player with more than just a single server.

Rick: We never had more than 2 LDA servers up at a time before, which may be the problem. Each server uses about 100-300mb of ram (depending n how many mods), so it may be a resource issue.

Level 13 Human gamer
Posted on September 20, 2005 at 2:00 pm

When you say this happens on the "LDA" server, do you mean the server titled, simply, "LDA", or one of the other LDA servers? If so, which one(s)?
I play mostly on LDA (simply), and dinochrome.

Does it always seem to happen with the same maps, or do you notice that sometimes the same map will work fine and sometimes it won't?
I haven't noticed a sequence of maps that will not load. I have a cable dsl connection; TM used to work fine, all the time. I recently wiped my pc and reinstalled everything. I rarely get lag.
If I stop the game when the map runs out of time and refresh servers I normally can get in... but sometimes I can't... it's pretty much random.
I may take all the folders from mods I have downloaded out of the TM folder... maybe that's what causing it (each folder has mod names not addons)
I have the EA TM version too... but so far everything has worked right... I get time outs once in a while but most of the time just gets back to the main page....(map just played)
Oh yeah, sometimes I get out-of-tank experiences... tank gets in but it is floating in mid air, while my "other" tank is in the ground, I can actually play with freelock but it is too challenging to play miles away.
Or I will get in the map but it doesn't do anything, not even the "press fire" line... I can look around with freelock though.......... :?:

Posted on September 20, 2005 at 7:07 pm

Rick: We never had more than 2 LDA servers up at a time before, which may be the problem. Each server uses about 100-300mb of ram (depending n how many mods), so it may be a resource issue.
Actually, the server runs at most 20mb of RAM, but it could be a problem with the number of open ports that machine allows. We could get rid of a Tread Marks server or two if you like; just let us know which ones you'd like us to axe.

Posted on September 20, 2005 at 10:17 pm

Actually, the server runs at most 20mb of RAM,

As I said, it depends on what mods. The TeamCTF mod can push a server to 300 megs with 8 players in a game. the "One Shot" mod gets past 100 megs with 6 players going at it. I think the most memory I've had a server use was when I put every availible mod (2 years ago, wow... The older you get the faster time flys) on it. It got up to nearly 1/2 gig with 1 human and 15 AIs. O_O

I've had this happen when I ran 3 TM servers on a box (and nothing else server-wise), 1 running TeamCTF. If enough people were on the box, then the same problem would surface. You're server has 4 TM server running (one is TeamCTF), as well as FTP, master server, and many other services.

We could get rid of a Tread Marks server or two if you like; just let us know which ones you'd like us to axe.

Not my call, you'll need to ask Kv. I'm just trying to help out. :)

Level 13 Human gamer
Posted on September 20, 2005 at 10:42 pm

well, I was already planning on having the other community servers shut down for the clan war, so we'll find out soon what the problem is exactly.

Level 13 Human gamer
Posted on September 21, 2005 at 9:20 am

hey I played last night and had no problems whatsoever!
What did you do? :o

Posted on September 21, 2005 at 11:01 am

How many people where on the community server in total last night?

Level 13 Human gamer
Posted on September 21, 2005 at 11:35 am

Level 15 Human Jack-of-all-trades
Posted on September 23, 2005 at 12:40 pm

As regards Dinochrome; there was a power outage a couple of weeks ago and I have noticed various anomolies in game myself though reconnecting is not one of them.

Currently Dinochrome is running on a client-development box until a finish repairs to my VMWare server. It has ample resources to run the TMServer and then some. The only sticking point for players is the older firewall hardware in use but nobody really noticed when we had seven playing a week or two ago so I don't know what to tell you with respect to my server.

I have observed that some players are having problems with addons due to the differences between the production release of TM and the current release which places the game in a subfolder rather than in the program files folder. That and and computer literacy issues seems to be the 1/2 punch to problematic installations.

Level 12 Human Cyb0rg tank pil0t:|@- ҉҈҉҈҉-§¹Ç--҉҈҉-
Posted on July 18, 2006 at 3:27 am

I know It's Been A long Time Since These Type Of Errors Have Started. But Whenever I Try To Go To The Multi Player Internet Game Sever It Never Connects It Just Gets A Time Out Each Time I Try To Connect To The Master Server. And If I Try To Connect To A Different Server With The Tcp/Ip It Also Gets A Time Out. So If Anyone Knows The Cause Can You Tell Me???

Posted on July 18, 2006 at 3:06 pm

Are you playing the demo? If so, make sure you're connecting to a demo server.

Posted on July 18, 2006 at 3:33 pm

Yes I Do Have A Demo Currently Because I Can Not Afford The Full Version.So If You Know Any Demo Servers Chould You Tell Me The Adrresses.

Level 13 Human Shadow
Posted on July 18, 2006 at 7:23 pm

Every server that's regularly up requires the full game. I've occasionally seen a demo server, but they are rare.

Level 15 Human Jack-of-all-trades
Posted on July 20, 2006 at 2:13 am

The only Demo server I've seen in years is Robo Euro Demo and I don't know if its up.

Posted on July 26, 2006 at 4:27 pm

Hey VorDesigns I Have THe Full Version Now But It Still Is Having The Same Problems With The Time Outs.If Anybody Knows THe Problem Tell Me It

Posted on July 27, 2006 at 5:08 pm

Have you tried hitting the Refresh Internet button?

Level 13 Human gamer
Posted on July 27, 2006 at 5:27 pm

Are you connecting to the right game lobby? my game used to not pick up a single game also could it be something to do with firewall?

Pages 1 2