Skip navigation

changing recruitment levels in Hegemony 3

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Hegemony > changing recruitment levels in Hegemony 3
Level 3 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on October 29, 2016 at 10:53 pm

I enjoyed playing Gold with the recruitment rate modded to about 20% of what it was normally.

I wish to do the same in 3, but it appears that the variable in global.xnt now only changes the player's recruitment rates. Furthermore, the menu option for recruitment appears to be absent altogether.

I prefer it when losing a brigade has dire consequences, but I don't want the AI to have an enormous numerical advantage either. Is it possible to change recruitment levels globally at the moment?

Level 7 Extraplanar programmer
Alignment: Good
Posted on October 31, 2016 at 7:08 pm

The recruitment values found in globals are for the difficulty setting, which is why they only affect the player. To change them globally, you would have to modify the citycommon entity, defined in a .xnt file compressed in our archives; you can modify our compressed .xnt files this by putting a .xnt file with the new values in the Resources folder or in the Resources subfolder of a mod.

You can get the game to read .xnt files from a mod folder by creating a folder in your C:\Users\[USERNAME_HERE]\Documents\Longbow Digital Arts\Hegemony III\Mods folder and putting files in the Resources subfolder of your new folder; see our modding tutorials in the Steam forum for more details about modding and our public server for the uncompressed entity files you can modify.

An example .xnt with the default recruitment rates is:<entity modtechnique="merge" type="citycommon" class="city">
<recruitrate>3.0 3.5 4.0 4.5 5.0 5.5 6.0 6.5 7.0 7.5 8.0 9.0</recruitrate>
<maxrecruits>80 90 100 110 120 130 140 150 160 170 180 190</maxrecruits>
</entity>
There's a different number for every level of the city's population; make sure your edited version has a value for all 12 levels.

Hope this helps!

Level 3 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on November 4, 2016 at 3:30 am

It worked. Thank you very much.

While waiting for an answer, I think I also found an alternative solution. If you increase the value for recruitment in the "resource period" variable in globals.xnt, it also seems to reduce the recruitment rate (although the x/week figure displayed becomes inaccurate). Is this true?