Skip navigation

Particle Fire Now Free and Open Source!

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > News > Particle Fire Now Free and Open Source!
Level 14 Extraplanar Programmer
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on September 12, 2016 at 10:38 pm

Seumas was always an advocate of open source, so we've long talked about opening up some of his projects, and we've finally done it with his Particle Fire screensaver. Go ahead and download it here or grab the source on GitHub and build it yourself.

We've also been finding that Particle Fire has been misbehaving more and more often with newer versions of Windows, so this release fixes some long-standing bugs and improves the experience on newer versions of Windows, which means even if you already have a copy, you should still go ahead and download the latest version.

Level 9 Human
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on September 25, 2016 at 7:00 am

Particle Fire has been one of my favourite screensavers since all the way back when. It's a product that clearly emanates the love and passion Seumas poured into it, which is probably why it remains my default screensaver even today. I would love to see someone with the same level of passion and care for his work explore the unknown potentials of marvel and wonder hiding in the undefined space between each dancing particle.

As the occasion presents itself, I would also like to share some screenshots that I have captured from the screensaver over time. Please feast your eyes on these wonderful pyroplasmic displays and let the particles inspire.

Level 3 Human gamer, programmer and true slav
Alignment: Good
Location: Belgrade, Serbia. Probably squatting in front of my computer.
Posted on November 15, 2016 at 6:06 am

What has happened to Particle Toy? I know you can download it from the Internet Archive, but it would be great if it became open-source too :)

Level 17 Extraplanar gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on November 15, 2016 at 10:37 pm

Unfortunately I don't know where the source code for particle toy is. It was made long before our current code repository and for whatever reason it didn't seem to have made it in like some of our other projects from that time. It might be buried on some hard disk or inside another folder, but there's a chance that the archived version is all that is left.