Skip navigation

Map Modding Questions [SOLVED][HELP]

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Hegemony > Map Modding Questions [SOLVED][HELP]
Level 3 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on March 11, 2016 at 5:25 am

Hi There!

I'm wanting to make a Middle Earth mod and wanted to start with the map. I'm running into issues though with the editor.

These issues are

-Setting the Map Bounds does not do anything but blow up the beginning tile to the set size
-Clicking anywhere resets entire thing back to the one tile and the area you just clicked
-How do I add tiles without having to paint all of them
-When painting tiles if you exceed that 0,0 demarcation the editor crashes. why is that allowed to happen?
-When I tried painting all of them the height differences did not show up on the overlay (that blue background)
-Are there bigger brushes than the scorpion, can I define my own size?

tldr; How I can start with all tiles loaded utilizing the full map size 0x0 210 x 215

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Level 7 Extraplanar programmer
Alignment: Good
Posted on March 16, 2016 at 3:00 am

Hi inviktys! Thanks for the interest in modding, I'll do what I can to address your issues.

-Setting the Map Bounds does not do anything but blow up the beginning tile to the set sizeThat's actually how it's meant to be, the button's only function is to say what space the strategy map image stretches over. It's useful if the strategy map texture you plan on using has areas you didn't create terrain for.

-Clicking anywhere resets entire thing back to the one tile and the area you just clickedThat would be the game remaking the dynamic strategy map; since there actually isn't anything in a lot of the areas, the new image won't have anything there and the game feels free to scale things back down. If you want to make sure the strategy map persists at a given size, you'll have to actually set a texture image rather than rely on the automatically-generated one, or add a lot of tiles.

-How do I add tiles without having to paint all of themWe don't really have any method designed for mass-creating empty tiles and I don't really see much need to have them; the tiles will be created for you as soon as you start interacting with them anyway, setting down empties beforehand doesn't really achieve anything. However, if you really did want to do it, there may be a workaround. If you can find a blank .hgt file, you can create a ton of copies import them en-masse, using their filenames to ensure they go next to eachother. E.g. N2W2.hgt, N1W1.hgt, N2W1.hgt and N1W2.hgt will all be loaded adjacent to eachother.
That said, it's a bit of a pain, so I went ahead and rewrote the code creating the initial starting tile to get what you want instead. You can download the results here.

-When painting tiles if you exceed that 0,0 demarcation the editor crashes. why is that allowed to happen?Ah, that'd be a new bug. Thanks for reporting it, we need to set up a block on creating tiles less than 0,0. I'll try and get that in the next patch.

-When I tried painting all of them the height differences did not show up on the overlay (that blue background)There's usually a delay, it takes a bit of time for the game to have changes show up. It's a slow process to check and generate the image so we don't do it all the time. Clicking "Reset Strategy Map" will force an immediate update though.

-Are there bigger brushes than the scorpion, can I define my own size?Not by default and I don't think you can, unfortunately. Should be easy enough to add that for the next patch, though.

tldr; How I can start with all tiles loaded utilizing the full map size 0x0 210 x 215tldr; Download this.

Hope this helps!

Level 3 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on March 17, 2016 at 5:13 am

Thank you Christopher!

Thank you for clarifying the functions of some of the buttons!

To make sure I understand correctly as well, what you are saying is that Map Bounds stretches that initial tile to the set size as a 'blueprint' while not actually creating the corresponding terrain? So it can be used as a guide for creating the actual terrain, and that it resets because it is a dynamic strategic overlay?

The map file does not work, the error message was "Created on version 93 expected version 91"

Again thank you so much for the great responses!

*****ADDENDUM*****
Does the Modding Capabilities also include adding new unit meshes or editing the pre-existing ones? I found the meshes ARC file but can't open it

Level 7 Extraplanar programmer
Alignment: Good
Posted on March 19, 2016 at 5:59 am

Thank you Christopher!

Thank you for clarifying the functions of some of the buttons!
No problem, glad it's been informative!

To make sure I understand correctly as well, what you are saying is that Map Bounds stretches that initial tile to the set size as a 'blueprint' while not actually creating the corresponding terrain? So it can be used as a guide for creating the actual terrain, and that it resets because it is a dynamic strategic overlay?Well, it's not actually designed to be used as a blueprint. The Strategy Map Bounds controls how much of the map the strategy map image covers. In the regular game, this is the black-and-orange image of Italy. In the editor, if you don't have a strategy map image set, the editor will try and make one up for you based off the terrain; this is the blue image you see. If you change the Strategy Map Bounds while not having an image set, the editor will currently take the image of the terrain it generated before and stretch it to the bounds, which you correctly guessed would reset when it generates a new image. If you wanted to have a blueprint like you mentioned, you'd be best off finding a map of Middle Earth and setting the strategy map to that before fiddling with the map bounds.

The map file does not work, the error message was "Created on version 93 expected version 91"
Haha whoops forgot about that. You ought to be able to open this one.

Does the Modding Capabilities also include adding new unit meshes or editing the pre-existing ones? I found the meshes ARC file but can't open itWe've been trying to make mesh modding more accessible lately, there's a discussion on that going on in the Steam forums, where someone has managed to successfully import a prop mesh. Unit meshes are currently not well-tested, but should be theoretically possible.