Skip navigation

(Ask) Exploding Bricks

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Arcade Games > (Ask) Exploding Bricks
Level 3 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on October 16, 2015 at 12:11 pm

Is it possible to create exploding bricks with GIF animation of flickering colors?

Level 3 Human gamer, programmer and true slav
Alignment: Good
Location: Belgrade, Serbia. Probably squatting in front of my computer.
Posted on November 12, 2015 at 1:20 am

You can probably convert the frames of the GIF into a DXImage-friendly format and insert them into your .img file. Such fan-made tools are banned by LDA unfortunatley, so you'll have to look around in the deepest corners of the internet to find them. I have both DXImage and a beta version of DXBoard from a game DVD i got for Christmas, so if it isn't illegal or anything, I can share them.
This really sucks though, because LDA doesn't take care of DX-Ball 2 and its spinoffs anymore, and it would be nice to let fans/modders "resurrect" the classic.

Level 9 Human
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on November 19, 2015 at 9:20 am

The issue with usermade board-sets is that it potentially threatens the commercial property of the game. Unlike the original DX-Ball by Michael P. Welch, which was released as a freeware game, DX-Ball 2 is released as a shareware demo. In that sense, when you install the DX-Ball 2 demo on your system, you are technically installing a demo version of the commercial product Board Pack 1.

Although usermade board-sets was considered to be supported for users who had purchased Board Pack 1, things took a different turn after Seumas passed away, back in 2000. Notably, Longbow Digital Arts was an independent family business back then, Seumas being the president and programmer. Because of this threatening loss to the business, the company had to focus on sustaining the sales of additional board packs, which lead to the subject of a board-editor being discontinued.

Level 3 Human gamer, programmer and true slav
Alignment: Good
Location: Belgrade, Serbia. Probably squatting in front of my computer.
Posted on November 20, 2015 at 4:58 am

The issue with usermade board-sets is that it potentially threatens the commercial property of the game. Unlike the original DX-Ball by Michael P. Welch, which was released as a freeware game, DX-Ball 2 is released as a shareware demo. In that sense, when you install the DX-Ball 2 demo on your system, you are technically installing a demo version of the commercial product Board Pack 1.

Although usermade board-sets was considered to be supported for users who had purchased Board Pack 1, things took a different turn after Seumas passed away, back in 2000. Notably, Longbow Digital Arts was an independent family business back then, Seumas being the president and programmer. Because of this threatening loss to the business, the company had to focus on sustaining the sales of additional board packs, which lead to the subject of a board-editor being discontinued.

True. A good idea that would both let LDA get profits from the official boardpacks and let users make their levels would be to include an official board editor with DXB2 when someone owns ALL the official boardpacks, and make it so that usermade sets can be run only when all official sets are installed.