Skip navigation

BDZ to BDS

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Arcade Games > BDZ to BDS
Level 4 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on September 7, 2015 at 11:23 am

For DXB2 only...

Is there any possible way to convert BDZ board sets to the customizable BDS format?

Level 10 Human
Posted on September 12, 2015 at 11:43 pm

As far as I remember, the BDZ format was created in response to the board editor by NOPeR, while considering the possibility of adding support for custom board-sets in the game. The original BDS files had a very simple binary structure, which is how the board editor came about in the first place, by means of reverse-engineering the board-sets. Since Longbow had invested commercial value in DX-Ball 2, it was deemed necessary to protect their digital property. The BDZ format would thus obfuscate the binaries for the commercial board-sets, making them logically unreadable, and therefore inaccessible.

Level 4 Human gamer and programmer
Alignment: Good
Posted on November 12, 2015 at 1:09 am

As far as I remember, the BDZ format was created in response to the board editor by NOPeR, while considering the possibility of adding support for custom board-sets in the game. The original BDS files had a very simple binary structure, which is how the board editor came about in the first place, by means of reverse-engineering the board-sets. Since Longbow had invested commercial value in DX-Ball 2, it was deemed necessary to protect their digital property. The BDZ format would thus obfuscate the binaries for the commercial board-sets, making them logically unreadable, and therefore inaccessible.
Actually, I think the two formats are the same thing wierdly and they can be changed vice-versa, that is by simply renaming them you can change .BDS to .BDZ AFAIK. Once on the internet I saw an old demo version of Rival Ball, and then there were "extra rounds" for it. Those were simply user-made rounds, two levelsets are the ones that came with DXBoard and a few more als avialable online. The levels served as an replacement for the 4-level demo sets.
Also, on another site offering DX-Ball levels and other usermade goodies (that's the site from where the levels I talked about earlyer were!), I found a guide on how to install. One part of the text guide said this:
"how to play levelsets in rival ball:
Just rename .BDS to .BDZ"
and that's good proof of what I said about simly changing extensions.

Level 4 Human gamer
Posted on November 16, 2015 at 1:34 pm

But when changing BDZ to BDS, it can't be opened on DXBoard

Posted on November 17, 2015 at 6:15 am

But when changing BDZ to BDS, it can't be opened on DXBoard
Well then it probably is a different format. .BDS to .BDZ works however, so as zephyr said, there's probably something in the BDZ files that prevents DXBoard from opening them. I think you can find older versions of some DX-Ball 2 boardpacks on the internet. Board pack 1 and I think Classic pack were originally in Bds format. However, doing that would be considered piracy.

Level 10 Human
Posted on November 19, 2015 at 9:48 am

It's an inconspicuous matter, but up until Rival Ball version 1.3, the game actually did support the BDS format. However, as stated, it would not detect the BDS file type itself, so BDS files had to be renamed into BDZ files.

Posted on November 19, 2015 at 2:29 pm

It's an inconspicuous matter, but up until Rival Ball version 1.3, the game actually did support the BDS format. However, as stated, it would not detect the BDS file type itself, so BDS files had to be renamed into BDZ files.
I have Rival Ball 1.5.6 with all the boardpacks. The sets from board pack 1 are in .BDS format (not converted), yet they work perfectly fine. For user-made levels, it wouldn't work with anything above 1.3 because of the adding of boardsets being organized by board packs, however.

Posted on November 20, 2015 at 7:15 pm

I just tried out a BDS file in DX-Ball 2 1.33 and it worked, of course with the 4 board limit. DX-Ball 2 and Rival Ball support BDS files, with a few problems. DXB2 has the 4 board limit while RB above 1.3 only detects official sets, and under 1.3 only opens them if they are renamed to .BDZ.