Skip navigation

Hegemony 3 crashes consistently after a certain amount of play.

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Hegemony > Hegemony 3 crashes consistently after a certain amount of play.
Level 4 Human Vocabularistically corpulent.
Alignment: Good
Posted on September 1, 2015 at 1:18 pm

I actually played Hegemony 3 quite a bit already, despite it crashing after a certain amount of time. I am just kind of used to sucking it up, putting autosave on something very frequent and just restarting the game whenever it crashes, which is why I didn't report this earlier.

Reason for that mostly being that the exact same thing actually happened in Hegemony: Rome, thing is, I never reported it then because I figured it was due to me only having 2 gigs of RAM (Rome has 3 gigs listed as a minimum requirement, and therefore I didn't actually meet the minimum requirements). However, I just realized that Hegemony 3 actually has a lower minimum RAM requirement, with only 2 gigs, which I do meet.

So, since my lack of ram is apparently not the issue, I am finally reporting this, albeit way too late.

What basically happens is that the game crashes with a "bad allocation" message after a somewhat variable amount of time (can be as little as 15 minutes or as much as an hour). It then asks me if I want to save a dump file, and after that I get the standard windows "program x has crashed" message.

It should be noted that this can happen just after an autosave, and then when I load up that autosave, I can again sometimes play up to an hour before it crashes again, so the crash does not seem to be directly related to any in-game circumstance (at least, if it was, I would expect the game to crash immediately after opening said autosave).

I have a dump file but don't know where to put it or send it to. I should probably add that when I tried to save the dump file it gave me an error stating that saving the dump file had failed, asking me if I wanted to retry (retrying produced the same message), a dump file appeared on my desktop regardless of that error message, I'm not sure if that might mean that the dump file is therefore corrupted.

Level 4 Human 3D Modeler
Posted on September 1, 2015 at 1:36 pm

Have you downloaded the beta patch? That fixes a lot of crashes.

Also send the dump files to rob@longbowgames.com

Posted on September 2, 2015 at 4:54 pm

Huh, so turns out that dump file that appeared despite the error message has a whopping size of 0 bytes... figures.

The same error occurred on the beta patch. But I guess if I can't get the dump file to save correctly then there's not a whole lot that can be done?

Posted on September 6, 2015 at 5:19 pm

Sorry for double posting, but I have a bit of a "breakthrough". That breakthrough being that I finally got myself a situation where the crash seems to be situational. I somehow managed to get an autosave immediately before the game crashed, now, every time I load that autosave, the game immediately crashes again, which I guess means that my earlier comment on the crashes being random and not related to anything noteworthy happening is false, or that I stumbled onto an entirely different kind of crash (though it manifests in exactly the same way).

This is awesome, since now I have something to send to someone: the save file. That is, assuming that that is of any use to anyone at all?