Skip navigation

Hegemony 3: Thoughts so far

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Hegemony > Hegemony 3: Thoughts so far
Level 9 Human Truffle Farmer
Alignment: Good
Posted on August 26, 2015 at 7:24 am

Having a go with the Hegemony 3 Etruscan campaign as the Velch.

Money seems to be very tight. I have the nearest gold mine fully staffed and 3 units which are clearly not enough units to stop the raids that are coming in all directions and burning my city faster than I can walk around the town perimeter; and I'm still running a 'huge' (-about 20 gold) deficit each week. This is huge since the gold mine makes not much more than that and the city makes not much more than that even when upgraded and I have no other income sources nearby. Neither are there any available missions that give me bonus gold. I am not sure what I am doing wrong.

On a positive side, the game feels spectacular. The zooming is beautifully fluid which has always been a sticking point for me on the two previous titles. Although I would prefer if the map didn't phase in quite so soon as I often find myself wanting a birds eye view of the units in a battle without going to the map where their exact positions become a little more abstracted. The fact that it is so fluid does offset this to some degree.

All in all, so far I am liking it. The units feel painfully slow to move since I can't seem to avoid really slow trainwrecks coming from a mile away if my units are on the other side of my city but the size and scope are scary in a good way. Looking forward to getting stuck into this.

A definite improvement over Hegemony Rome.

EDIT: Given it some more time. I am figuring out the money balance. Still stuck with almost nothing but by cancelling supply lines and moving workers and slaves back and forth between farms and other places as required has helped me to survive long enough to use technology to earn more money. Now I have too much money and nothing to spend it on. Virtually no recruits and no way to defend from what appears to be endless assaults coming from all directions. Raiders from west, raiders from north west, raiders from north, raiders from east, oh sea raiders too. Surprise attack from the blue enemy to my south, boo raiders from the west again.

Even so, the game is still enjoyable despite being frustrating as anything.

Level 4 Human 3D Modeler
Alignment: Good
Posted on August 26, 2015 at 11:48 am

We have a steam thread going that I started on how the Raiders are too relentless (even on casual). If they're going to be this annoying, give them a city on Malta or Sicily that we can destroy/capture.

Or an option to turn them down.