Skip navigation

Great games: other eras suitable, particularly Byzantine empire?

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Hegemony > Great games: other eras suitable, particularly Byzantine empire?
Level 3 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on July 27, 2015 at 7:20 pm

Hi all, just to tell you that the more I play these Hegemony games, the more I love them. The learning curve, to get everything right, is rather steep, but the games really portray ancient warfare with its emphasis on small scale action and basic robbery. The supply system works great: it requires lots of planning. The mission system allows for continuous challenges and the 'yet one more minute' phenomenon.

I was thinking: why not come up with a version that portrays warfare in the Byzantine empire? Lots of theaters - from Italy to Sicily to the Danubian lands, Greece, Armenia, Syria, perhaps even Egypt before the Arabian conquests. Not an endless campaign but shorter scenarios by which to work up your career from a thematic strategos that attempts to cut short robber incursions, to the imperial 'domestikos of the scholae' which lets you campaign in northern Mesopotamia using the tagmata formations, a la Nicephoros Phocas.

Great units, e.g. armoured cavalry, horse archers, pikemen, javelineers. The map would be huge but the system would not need major adjustments. And lots of interesting characters.

Level 3 Human gamer
Posted on August 23, 2015 at 1:29 pm

Byzantine empire is boring. Byzantine is just eastern Roman empire. There was a stronger and more civilized empire on the rise.

Arab Islamic. Also known as the Islamic Caliphate.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caliphate

Also the Islamic caliphate also kicked Chinese ass. Nobody knows this but China actually lost against the Islamic caliphate.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Talas

The Ottoman empire
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ottoman_Empire

China/Japan/Vietnam and many other asian countries are also awesome. Did you know the Vietnamese civilization kicked mongol ass.
Heck Vietnam even kicked American ass and chinese conquest out of Vietnam. Many cultures to choose between. I would also like to play a game about Russia. That would also be cool. Or maybe vikings in the middle ages. There is a whole world of civilizations to choose out there. And everybody just stays in Europe. I mean they are fixated on Europe. Rome and Greece has received to much spotlight on Hegemony. Maybe try different culture this time? There are also Thailand, India, and many more cultures in Asia to choose between.

But I look forward to Hegemony 3. It is time to kick Rome out of the history hehe :)

Level 7 Human Partying Barbarian
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on October 8, 2015 at 12:39 am

I have to say I would much rather have either a Medieval eras hegemony or a Sengoku Japan/Dynasty China focused one compared to the Byzantine but that's just my preference I guess.

Level 4 Human gamer
Posted on October 31, 2015 at 10:10 pm

I would say the time of the Successors or Diadochoi (from the death of Alexander the Great to the Rome conquest of Greece).

Level 5 Human gamer
Alignment: Lawful
Posted on November 2, 2015 at 10:36 am

I would say the time of the Successors or Diadochoi (from the death of Alexander the Great to the Rome conquest of Greece).
It is very interesting period but it wont work because the teritory of the conflict is to big to control. They will need to downscale the cities and units for that and personaly i wouldn't like that...

Level 2 Human gamer
Posted on October 3, 2016 at 9:02 am

This younger generation finds these games interesting because warrior games are intellectual where you use clever strategy to beat other people. Studies have shown that players that play a lot of video games have better scores on vision tests compared to those children who do not play. We as parents should encourage our kids to play games like Battleborn Kaufen, Counter Strike Global Offensive Kaufen that are helpful to improve skills and knowledge. Guardians just need to monitor how much time their children spend in front of the screen playing games and also the type that the child is playing and they will see a lot of benefits.