Skip navigation

Rival Ball sound effects

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Arcade Games > Rival Ball sound effects
Level 4 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on July 21, 2015 at 12:25 pm

Where can I find the sound effects files of Rival Ball? I want to use it as a sound mod for the classic DX-Ball

I searched in the game's directory (C:/ - Program Files - LDA Games - Rival Ball), and there's no "Sounds" folder, unlike DX-Ball 2.

Any kind of help will be appreciated, thank you

Level 9 Human
Posted on August 30, 2015 at 9:08 pm

If I recall correctly, the graphics and sound effects for Rival Ball are compiled into an inaccessible directory named 'Resources.gka'. You might be able to access them from an earlier version of the game, like version 1.3.

Level 4 Human gamer
Posted on August 31, 2015 at 11:45 am

Okay, let me check it out. Thanks for the advice.

Level 9 Human
Posted on August 31, 2015 at 11:42 pm

Just noticed I had zipped the wrong installer. Try give the link another shot.

Level 4 Human gamer
Posted on September 2, 2015 at 12:12 pm

Just extracted it and it works fine on the original DX-BALL, but some sounds were over-gained and distorted, especially the exploding bricks.

Actually, they have same file names as it was in DX-Ball sound files

Tomorrow I'll convert them to OGG and use it on Super DX-Ball

Level 9 Human
Posted on September 3, 2015 at 8:52 pm

I guess since Rival Ball recycled most of the code from DX-Ball 2, and DX-Ball 2 for the most part recycled the sound effects from DX-Ball, it makes sense that the file names would remain the same. Come to think of it, the tracker modules used for Rival Ball were also named the same as the title screen songs in DX-Ball 2, even though the songs are entirely different.

Regarding the distorted sounds in DX-Ball, it could be due to differing bit depths. I'm only guessing, though. By the way, if you're able to capture a video of your mods, it would be fun to check it out on YouTube.

Level 4 Human gamer
Posted on September 5, 2015 at 2:42 am

Sure, I'll do it as more time allows...

BTW, can you give me suggestions for a recording software that works best for slower/older computers?. My computer is kinda slow and outdated (2007 model, win7 ultimate, 1G RAM, 40G HD, forgot the processor...), even when playing SDXB or RB it sometimes lags and stutter a little :(

Level 9 Human
Posted on September 5, 2015 at 3:54 pm

I personally use Action! by Mirillis for video captures. I have a hunch it's likely one of the best choices out there, in regards to performance and quality. If you experience any performance issues, you could try to reduce the colour bit depth and screen resolution on your system. It may also help to temporarily switch off the wireless drivers, by setting your system to flight mode. Capturing at a lower framerate will also help – optimally 30 FPS.

Level 4 Human gamer
Posted on September 9, 2015 at 10:49 am

It's a 30-day trial, but it's worth trying it... I will upload them soon.

By the way, what about the sounds of RBT? it sounds pretty cool. Can I extract it?

Level 9 Human
Posted on September 13, 2015 at 12:07 am

I believe the sound effects for Rival Ball Tournament were compiled into the GKZ directory format since the game's launch, which technically makes them inaccessible. Your only chance would be to record the sounds directly from the game, and save them in the correct format. If your sound card features an output channel, you could try something like Audacity. The channel is usually named 'Stereo Mix' on most systems. It should show up under the dropdown list for input devices. If it's not listed, there is a chance it may have been disabled by default.

Level 4 Human gamer
Posted on September 25, 2015 at 9:56 am

I'm so sorry, but sadly Action can't even work on my PC. When I try to run it, it force stops immediately :(

Level 9 Human
Posted on September 26, 2015 at 12:57 pm

Aw, man. Sorry to hear that. It's really the only capture software I'm familiar with.

Level 9 Human
Posted on September 26, 2015 at 7:56 pm

I just randomly stumbled upon a screen capture application named Bandicam. I haven't tested it, but something about it feels promising. I'd recommend it, if you're still interested in the subject.

Level 4 Human gamer
Posted on September 28, 2015 at 4:38 am

Here's my first attempt on Bandicam >>> check it out
The trial version only record 10 mins

If you want the sounds like in that video, click here

Level 9 Human
Posted on September 28, 2015 at 2:13 pm

Cool. I'm glad you got it working. I would check out the uploaded video, but Google Drive says I need to request permission to access it ?

Level 4 Human gamer
Posted on September 28, 2015 at 2:44 pm

I forgot to turn off the privacy. Now you can check the link back...