Skip navigation

A few issues I have with Hegemony: Rome

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Hegemony > A few issues I have with Hegemony: Rome
Level 4 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on July 7, 2015 at 9:39 am

Hi, so I have 44 hours of this game on Steam and I played it since it was available.
The AI used to bug me, but it has improved greatly.
There is one thing that regularly makes me ragequit though, some sort of stuck force moving thingy.
Like the last time I played this game, I had a huge army and my enemy had a very small army, but I lost, because instead of attacking the enemy when I clicked on them, they all tried to move to that location.
I believe it's like when you shift-click to create a custom path that caused that, only that I didn't touch the shift key.
I hit the shift key and the alt key and several other keys to see if I can make it unstuck, but it didn't.
It sometimes happens too when I give moving orders, instead of just moving to the location I click at, they take that as one of the way points for the custom path.

Another thing that annoys me is the unit formations, I just don't find it very intuitive, in my opinion it would be better to not lock them in a formation like this:
http://picpaste.com/hegemony_formation.jpg
But split the unit cards up into individual units.
Also, is there a way to just select one unit out of this to view it instead of the whole formation? Or discluding a unit with a shift-click or something?

The last thing which is a bit annoying (but not all that important) is that I can't rebind the keys, I have a Dvorak layout, so most keys don't make much sense. I saw though that you can view the key bindings and you have an "Apply" button below that. Is there a way to rebind them yet, or will that be a future feature?

So, either these things are bugged/not implemented yet, or I'm just stupid. Either way, I would appreciate if somebody could explain these things to me.

Other than that, it's a great game and I would enjoy it even more if I wouldn't have to worry about those 3 things anymore.

Level 7 Human gamer
Alignment: Lawful good
Posted on July 7, 2015 at 10:42 pm

Hi, so I have 44 hours of this game on Steam and I played it since it was available.
The AI used to bug me, but it has improved greatly.
There is one thing that regularly makes me ragequit though, some sort of stuck force moving thingy.
Like the last time I played this game, I had a huge army and my enemy had a very small army, but I lost, because instead of attacking the enemy when I clicked on them, they all tried to move to that location.
I believe it's like when you shift-click to create a custom path that caused that, only that I didn't touch the shift key.
I hit the shift key and the alt key and several other keys to see if I can make it unstuck, but it didn't.
It sometimes happens too when I give moving orders, instead of just moving to the location I click at, they take that as one of the way points for the custom path.

It might be the Dvorak layout is what messes this up, since it seems Longbow games (undeservedly) does not have that many buyers and there aren't many people using such a keyboard anymore, so compatibility issues might have gone unnoticed until now.

Another thing that annoys me is the unit formations, I just don't find it very intuitive, in my opinion it would be better to not lock them in a formation like this:
http://picpaste.com/hegemony_formation.jpg
But split the unit cards up into individual units.

You linked to the longbowgames main page. Also, normal short right click should not create a formation but just scatter the units around to make them move to a location independently. Unless this has changed in the last patch, that is.

Also, is there a way to just select one unit out of this to view it instead of the whole formation? Or discluding a unit with a shift-click or something?

Single unit selection in formations depends on what you chose in the options. There is an option to make single-clicks select the brigade and double clicks the formation, or the other way around.

The last thing which is a bit annoying (but not all that important) is that I can't rebind the keys, I have a Dvorak layout, so most keys don't make much sense. I saw though that you can view the key bindings and you have an "Apply" button below that. Is there a way to rebind them yet, or will that be a future feature?

I do not recall rebinding anything, and currently have no way to check, but try single or double clicks on the key you want to change or if you can highlight them with the keyboard and then hit enter.

So, either these things are bugged/not implemented yet, or I'm just stupid. Either way, I would appreciate if somebody could explain these things to me.

Other than that, it's a great game and I would enjoy it even more if I wouldn't have to worry about those 3 things anymore.

Dvorak keyboards may be unsupported. Unless your mouse is "nonstandard" as well, it seems the mouse issue is a bug for you. Is there anything special about your mouse, your OS or anything running/built in that could interfere with mouse input to a fullscreen application?

Level 4 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on August 25, 2015 at 7:50 pm

Sorry, I did not play the game too much since my last post.
Now that I have bought Hegemony III, I have the same issue again.
These are the only two games I have this issue with.
Changing to a different layout didn't work, and I'm not sure it's the fault of the mouse.
It's a Ledos Gaming Mouse.
It's like I would hit shift and it sticks till I repeatedly hit the shift key and wildly click, at some point it's gone again.
I have Windows 8, nothing special.