Skip navigation

Trade route question[s]

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Hegemony > Trade route question[s]
Level 3 Human 3D Modeler
Alignment: Good
Posted on March 12, 2015 at 12:27 pm

(I read the in-game manual but didn't really find my answer.)

So when zoomed out, some trade routes show as a goldish solid color and others as a dotted line. These trade routes are not blockaded or anything.

What is the difference?

Also...

Say you have 3 structures. City, camp, farm. They are in that order on the map (but not in a straight line).

Would the trade route you want be: City ----- camp -- farm?

That would make the least amount of losses right?

Level 3 Human 3D Modeler
Posted on March 16, 2015 at 11:39 am

Err nevermind. I figured it out. They were just the different economic overlays representing differently on the world map.

Level 6 Human gamer
Alignment: Lawful good
Posted on March 16, 2015 at 5:41 pm

Do you mean Hegemony Gold or Rome? Because in Gold, there were four distinct classes of trade routes, those capale of transporting 100 grain/week, those with 50, those with 25 and those with 15, visually represented with yellow, bright orange, reddish orange and red color when clicking on the road, respectively, so you could see which road type it was without having to look at the numbers (colors being more intuitive I guess?). Perhaps in Rome it was adapted to show the amount of loss you have? So 0% loss being yellow and becoming redder the more % is lost? Could that be the case?

And you're right about the trade routes with minimal losses, since I think in Rome ware flow does not need more time the further away the ware is, but only takes into account the % of lost ware from city to farm to camp to whatever. So there is no downside, afair.

Level 3 Human 3D Modeler
Posted on March 16, 2015 at 7:44 pm

Do you mean Hegemony Gold or Rome? Because in Gold, there were four distinct classes of trade routes, those capale of transporting 100 grain/week, those with 50, those with 25 and those with 15, visually represented with yellow, bright orange, reddish orange and red color when clicking on the road, respectively, so you could see which road type it was without having to look at the numbers (colors being more intuitive I guess?). Perhaps in Rome it was adapted to show the amount of loss you have? So 0% loss being yellow and becoming redder the more % is lost? Could that be the case?

And you're right about the trade routes with minimal losses, since I think in Rome ware flow does not need more time the further away the ware is, but only takes into account the % of lost ware from city to farm to camp to whatever. So there is no downside, afair.

Yeah, sorry I meant in Rome.

Also, I'm not sure about your time comment. I could've sworn units replenish slower when further away from their home city but it might've been out of recruits and didn't notice - but I don't think I've taken enough losses yet in this game to run out of recruits in some cities. Seems inconsistent so not sure.

Level 6 Human gamer
Posted on March 18, 2015 at 3:20 pm

Now, that you mention it, I'm no longer sure if you would reinforce fully if you only had "lossless" roads from hometown A to unit B even if they're far from each other. That isn't realistically possible, though, since you always have at least some loss when urther away than 1-2 cities, I think (perhaps if you build every camp, you can get it to work in certain regions).

Level 3 Human 3D Modeler
Posted on March 18, 2015 at 6:05 pm

Now, that you mention it, I'm no longer sure if you would reinforce fully if you only had "lossless" roads from hometown A to unit B even if they're far from each other. That isn't realistically possible, though, since you always have at least some loss when urther away than 1-2 cities, I think (perhaps if you build every camp, you can get it to work in certain regions).

Recruits aren't lost like food/wood/gold is on trade routes - 99.9% sure of that.

A 30 member legion at my front that took 15 losses, took its time reinforcing fully. Its home was seaside Mediterranean at Narbo and had to send recruits almost to Paris area. Of course legions cost 60 recruits for 30 soldiers though...crazy how nature do that.

Level 6 Human gamer
Posted on March 19, 2015 at 10:49 am

They're not lost, so you always need the same amount of recruits to reinforce from x to full, but perhaps the time to reinforce does not scale by distance but by the road quality from hometown to unit. I'm quite sure that's how it was in Gold, that you could reinforce your phalanx a lot faster if you had a 100/week road from say Pella to Athens, with the unit being from Pella and reinforcing in Athens.

Level 3 Human 3D Modeler
Posted on March 19, 2015 at 11:42 am

They're not lost, so you always need the same amount of recruits to reinforce from x to full, but perhaps the time to reinforce does not scale by distance but by the road quality from hometown to unit. I'm quite sure that's how it was in Gold, that you could reinforce your phalanx a lot faster if you had a 100/week road from say Pella to Athens, with the unit being from Pella and reinforcing in Athens.

Oh gotcha.