Skip navigation

Should I buy Rome or Greece?

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Hegemony > Should I buy Rome or Greece?
Level 3 Human 3D Modeler
Alignment: Good
Posted on March 9, 2015 at 11:44 am

Hi all!

I played the demo of Ancient Greece last night and found it awesome (albeit limited since it's a demo).

Would you recommend Rome over Greece or vice versa?

Any insight would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Level 5 Human gamer
Alignment: Lawful
Posted on March 9, 2015 at 12:17 pm

Hury and buy killer bundle 2 from bundlestar site for only 4.99$ it also includes hegemony rome. And about which is better i think rome has better graphics and more building options the only downfall for it over the first hegemony is it's more damending from your hardware (pc) and still has minor bugs. Also the company making the third title and some improvements from it will be applied to rome as well. So rome defenetly....

Level 3 Human 3D Modeler
Posted on March 9, 2015 at 12:52 pm

Hury and buy killer bundle 2 from bundlestar site for only 4.99$ it also includes hegemony rome. And about which is better i think rome has better graphics and more building options the only downfall for it over the first hegemony is it's more damending from your hardware (pc) and still has minor bugs. Also the company making the third title and some improvements from it will be applied to rome as well. So rome defenetly....

Hmm, I don't see the...oh now I do. The bundle ends in 10 days, so plenty of time. If I bought through them, I don't know what the hell I'd do with the other 9 games lol.

Is that site reliable?

Level 5 Human gamer
Posted on March 9, 2015 at 2:48 pm

Hmm, I don't see the...oh now I do. The bundle ends in 10 days, so plenty of time. If I bought through them, I don't know what the hell I'd do with the other 9 games lol.

Is that site reliable?

Yes that site is very relible i personaly bought throught them couple of games they even have a groop at steam. And about the other games: even if you dont use or gift the other codes it is still very good deal because the original prise for hegeminy rome is 25$. So if you are in to the hegemony rome this is the best way for now. By the way i have both of the hegemony games and rome i bought for the full prise. I wish i had that deal then....

Level 3 Human 3D Modeler
Posted on March 9, 2015 at 2:51 pm

Yes that site is very relible i personaly bought throught them couple of games they even have a groop at steam. And about the other games: even if you dont use or gift the other codes it is still very good deal because the original prise for hegeminy rome is 25$. So if you are in to the hegemony rome this is the best way for now. By the way i have both of the hegemony games and rome i bought for the full prise. I wish i had that deal then....

Yes, very good deal....although I feel bad if Longbow only gets a few pennies (going by US currency) from that sale.

Level 6 Human gamer
Alignment: Lawful good
Posted on March 9, 2015 at 6:44 pm

Hegemony Gold is a game with three refined scenarios, all of them fun to play if you liked the demo, even though there's not much more to it in the sense of gameplay elements (the demo DOES go to the fight with Bardylis, right? the gameplay elements are all explained there). It opens up after that a lot, making scripted battles very much inexistent (even though military states like Thebes or Sparta can pack quite a punch too even if they only use the AI's standard defensive strategy, obliterating 5 phalanx units + hypaspists in one go e.g.) in favor of giving you freedom to expand into any area of your liking. The hegemony objectives are much rather a guide than which quests you need to fulfill to "truly win", but if you are using the standard difficulty of the game (even on expert - that does only make raids more frequent and containing more units, but in practice just more annoying) it isn't really a challenge any more for most of the time. The start is difficult (less so in the Philipp scenario perhaps), but after that you don't have that much challenge and can just blob until you reach the next large enemy.
That said the quests are really entertaining, the background info is always appreciated, the game in general handles smoothly and there are no obscure mechanics or rules. Also, the AI doesn't cheat at all, if you don't count in that they always know where they can raid most effectively.

So, all in all, a nice game to play if you are interested in Greece, map painting, enslaving all your enemies or building up an empire most effectively, but while the game is intuitive and not very difficult most of the time, it also doesn't challenge you to master it like Europa universalis, Dark Souls or similar games do, so a lack of complexity or difficulty shouldn't be a problem for you to enjoy this game.

I was currently rather turned off by Rome because there were three consecutive bugs, two of which did not show up in others' games, but even though it isn't as refined as Gold it still made me go back to it three times, which I wouldn't have done with most other games, because there's still the good game idea and the (perhaps still somewhat buggy) gameplay elements that make you love the game.

And last but not least you probably enjoy that game better which is set in the more interesting time period. The storytelling makes up a large part of the scenario immersion. I like both Philip and Caesar, but probably not everybody does.

Level 3 Human 3D Modeler
Posted on March 9, 2015 at 7:04 pm

Hegemony Gold is a game with three refined scenarios, all of them fun to play if you liked the demo, even though there's not much more to it in the sense of gameplay elements (the demo DOES go to the fight with Bardylis, right? the gameplay elements are all explained there). It opens up after that a lot, making scripted battles very much inexistent (even though military states like Thebes or Sparta can pack quite a punch too even if they only use the AI's standard defensive strategy, obliterating 5 phalanx units + hypaspists in one go e.g.) in favor of giving you freedom to expand into any area of your liking. The hegemony objectives are much rather a guide than which quests you need to fulfill to "truly win", but if you are using the standard difficulty of the game (even on expert - that does only make raids more frequent and containing more units, but in practice just more annoying) it isn't really a challenge any more for most of the time. The start is difficult (less so in the Philipp scenario perhaps), but after that you don't have that much challenge and can just blob until you reach the next large enemy.
That said the quests are really entertaining, the background info is always appreciated, the game in general handles smoothly and there are no obscure mechanics or rules. Also, the AI doesn't cheat at all, if you don't count in that they always know where they can raid most effectively.

So, all in all, a nice game to play if you are interested in Greece, map painting, enslaving all your enemies or building up an empire most effectively, but while the game is intuitive and not very difficult most of the time, it also doesn't challenge you to master it like Europa universalis, Dark Souls or similar games do, so a lack of complexity or difficulty shouldn't be a problem for you to enjoy this game.

I was currently rather turned off by Rome because there were three consecutive bugs, two of which did not show up in others' games, but even though it isn't as refined as Gold it still made me go back to it three times, which I wouldn't have done with most other games, because there's still the good game idea and the (perhaps still somewhat buggy) gameplay elements that make you love the game.

And last but not least you probably enjoy that game better which is set in the more interesting time period. The storytelling makes up a large part of the scenario immersion. I like both Philip and Caesar, but probably not everybody does.

Thanks for the info. I think I'll pick up Rome tonight using that Bundle mentioned above. If it is good/bad then I might revisit the demo some more and decide if I want to pick up Greece or not.

I think I like Rome history slightly more than Greece.

Thanks again!

Level 5 Human gamer
Posted on March 10, 2015 at 7:38 am

Yes, very good deal....although I feel bad if Longbow only gets a few pennies (going by US currency) from that sale.

If you realy want to suport longbow then take the Hegemony 3 game when it's availble for the full prise i think it's going to be a really good game... And if after buying the bundle you wont know what to do with the other games in the bundle you could gift me Blitzkrieg 2 anthology (to my mail leonbeilin@yahoo.com)...

Level 3 Human 3D Modeler
Posted on March 11, 2015 at 1:25 pm

If you realy want to suport longbow then take the Hegemony 3 game when it's availble for the full prise i think it's going to be a really good game... And if after buying the bundle you wont know what to do with the other games in the bundle you could gift me Blitzkrieg 2 anthology (to my mail leonbeilin@yahoo.com)...

As a thank you token for pointing out the bundle, sure thing. Standby...

Level 5 Human gamer
Posted on March 11, 2015 at 7:00 pm

Many many thanks for Blitzkrieg 2 anthology i bought the first one for full prise and i finally have the 2nd to complete my collection. I suggest you to sign to bundlestars facebook page so you'll know when they have some new good discounts and also i suggest you check another site which is called Humblebundle it is also a charity site an althou rarely but they have also some good discounts and bundles for which you decide what to pay(minimum 1$) it is also on facebook.
And about rome i know there are still some bugs there but the good news is that longbow still supporting it. So there will be new patches in the future. Thanks again for the game.

Level 3 Human 3D Modeler
Posted on March 12, 2015 at 12:30 pm

Many many thanks for Blitzkrieg 2 anthology i bought the first one for full prise and i finally have the 2nd to complete my collection. I suggest you to sign to bundlestars facebook page so you'll know when they have some new good discounts and also i suggest you check another site which is called Humblebundle it is also a charity site an althou rarely but they have also some good discounts and bundles for which you decide what to pay(minimum 1$) it is also on facebook.
And about rome i know there are still some bugs there but the good news is that longbow still supporting it. So there will be new patches in the future. Thanks again for the game.

I signed up for humblebundle a while ago and subscribed to the bundlestars email list.

I am enjoying Rome so far and looking forward to the next game :) Enjoy the Blitz.