Skip navigation

Moding question

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Hegemony > Moding question
Level 7 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on March 9, 2015 at 1:50 am

Are the .xnt files reloaded every time you load a save game, or are they only loaded when you start a new game. In other words, if I make changes (say to the globals xnt file in resources\data) should I expect to see those changes reflect in an ongoing game, or should I only expect to see those changes if I start a new game?

Level 7 Human gamer
Alignment: Lawful good
Posted on March 9, 2015 at 6:06 am

I think you'll get the quickest answer if you just test it yourself: Change something easily observable like some of your companions' stats in globals to something ridiculous and reload.

Level 7 Human gamer
Posted on March 9, 2015 at 6:50 am

Well, I did do that with supply, (which is super easy to check, and it does load at least that value on every load). But I'm particularly interested whether that's true for the AI constants (for example). I don't know how their AI code works, and it's much harder to test.

Level 7 Human gamer
Alignment: Lawful good
Posted on March 9, 2015 at 6:11 pm

Isn't that in the same file? My guess would be that it reloads files as a whole, I don't think the extra work to say which constants are to be reloaded for every file would be worth it for the devs just to make the loading process that fraction of the whole loading time faster.

Level 17 Extraplanar gamer
Posted on March 11, 2015 at 6:45 pm

Like any of the mods, the globals.xnt file is only loaded once when the game first starts. If you make changes you'll need to restart the game. For reference, the game will load any globals.xnt file it finds in the resources, dlc or mods folders and you only need to include values you want to change in the modded versions.

As far as how the stats affect the game: unfortunately the file hasn't been maintained or documented as well as it should have been and there are some values in there that are no longer used. The AI in particular is quite out of date since it has been overhauled significantly since that file was first written. If you have any questions about a particular stat let me know.

Level 7 Human gamer
Posted on March 11, 2015 at 9:53 pm

Thanks Rob, that's super helpful. I'll post some of the values I'm most curious about tonight. I'm interested in finding ways to make the AI generally more aggressive against the player, and do a better job of using groups rather than singletons when attacking assets.

Level 7 Human gamer
Posted on March 14, 2015 at 9:11 pm

Thanks Rob, that's super helpful. I'll post some of the values I'm most curious about tonight. I'm interested in finding ways to make the AI generally more aggressive against the player, and do a better job of using groups rather than singletons when attacking assets.

I posted to this thread: https://www.longbowgames.com/forums/topic/?id=3339