Skip navigation

Hegemony III Progress Report

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > News > Hegemony III Progress Report
Level 17 Extraplanar gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on March 7, 2015 at 12:43 am

We've been so busy on Hegemony III that it's hard to believe a whole month has gone by since our last news post. The game is coming together really well and we're getting close to the point where we can confidently announce a launch date. In the meantime check out the updates below and to see it all in action tune in to Twitch next week (Thursday, Mar 12, 4PM EST (8PM GMT)) for another live playthrough and developer Q&A.

Faction Skills
I talked in the last post about adding a skill/tech tree to unlock new units and faction-wide bonuses and I'm excited to share that feature is now in the game. Skill points are awarded for completing objectives so no matter what direction you expand you can choose how your faction will advance. The screenshot below shows the first few tiers of the Etruscan Military tree. There is also an Economic tree that will provide bonuses for resources, city growth and diplomacy.

Farm, Trade and Pillage!
We've been doing a lot of work to improve the resource balance in Hegemony III to make sure there's always pressure to protect your supplies throughout the game. A big part of this is the new city growth feature we've talked about before where you'll need to feed your cities if you want to unlock more recruits, upgrades and income. Additionally, we've got a new system where you can buy and sell resources with nearby towns of other factions, plus an all-new pillaging system that lets you raid the enemy when you're down on gold. Both the trade and pillage mechanics are now possible because, unlike in the previous games, gold in Hegemony III will accumulate allowing for one time transactions.

Everything else ...
We've also been really busy working on unit movement, grouping, ship combat, the new fonts and textures for the strategy map, and lots of awesome new units (check out Blake's sculpt for the Celtic nobleman above), but I think it's really best to see them all in action so I'll save the rest for Twitch broadcast next week and just leave you with a few more fun screenshots.

Level 9 Human gamer
Alignment: Chaotic evil
Posted on March 7, 2015 at 4:55 am

Everything is looking great, keep up the good work. One thing i noticed though about the map. While the colors make a nice antithesis, i feel it's "heavy" for the eyes. I do not know if anyone else has this feeling

Level 7 Human gamer
Posted on March 7, 2015 at 7:33 am

Any chance we'll see AI improvements? Any chance they'll be back ported to Rome?

I also agree with Kolopaper. I wouldn't mind a color pallet based on colors more realistic for the natural world.

Level 4 Human gamer
Alignment: Lawful good
Posted on March 7, 2015 at 9:01 am

Awesome!

My favorites:

- "We've been doing a lot of work to improve the resource balance in Hegemony III to make sure there's always pressure to protect your supplies throughout the game."

- "Additionally, we've got a new system where you can buy and sell resources with nearby towns of other factions"

- "plus an all-new pillaging system that lets you raid the enemy when you're down on Gold"

And I like very much the art in the manner of "Pottery of ancient Greece"! Fantastic!

Posted on March 7, 2015 at 9:29 pm

I also agree with Kolopaper. I wouldn't mind a color pallet based on colors more realistic for the natural world.

Thanks for the feedback. Blake's rewritten most of the shaders since Rome and continues to tweak them whenever he has the time so we'll keep the suggestions in mind.

Any chance we'll see AI improvements?

Definitely. We've already done a lot of work on the raiders for the early game, but we needed to finalize the mechanics and balance the resources before we can move onto tuning the AI.

Any chance they'll be back ported to Rome?

At this point, I'm not expecting any further significant AI changes for Rome. I admit there are things that could still be improved, but unfortunately even small AI changes can lead to a lot of unpredictable consequences and we just don't have the resources right now to test everything.

That said, whenever it seems reasonable like the recent grouping and naval improvements, we will continue to port back as much as we can.

Level 4 Human 3D Modeler
Alignment: Good
Posted on March 9, 2015 at 5:45 pm

Sweet. I've seen some unhappy customers with Rome but I'm going to pick it up anyway after work. Best of luck on Hegemony III!

Level 4 Human gamer
Alignment: Lawful good
Posted on March 11, 2015 at 4:45 pm

This game is a "pearl" in the commercial RTS garbage that is sold on the game market. Good Decision to pick it up!

Level 7 Human gamer
Posted on March 13, 2015 at 6:29 am

So, out of curiousity, will the Roman player have to deal with their senate-appointed generals returning to Rome every year or so, and being replaced by a variety of incompetent political appointees out to enrich themselves? In all seriousness, I think it would be both appropriate to the period, add interesting depth and help balance the Legions.

Posted on March 14, 2015 at 4:50 am

We are planning on some historical objectives that will include specific generals that were mentioned in the histories, but we're not planning any new political mechanics.

While Rome is definitely a key part of the game, we're trying to design things so it's just as interesting to play as other factions like the Etruscans or Greeks so we're focusing on mechanics like trade, faction skills and diplomacy that can be used by everyone.

Level 5 Human gamer
Alignment: Lawful
Posted on March 18, 2015 at 9:48 am

From your last demonstration on twich i still haven't seen the hoplite falanx formation and how it works. Did you finished it?

Posted on March 20, 2015 at 3:11 pm

From your last demonstration on twich i still haven't seen the hoplite falanx formation and how it works. Did you finished it?

Nope. For now the phalanx formation is still just a spacing/bonus variant of the existing battleline. It is still on our todo list to write some custom phalanx movement code. At the moment the greek factions are still our least complete, but hopefully we'll have a better demo for them in the next month.

Level 5 Human gamer
Alignment: Lawful
Posted on March 20, 2015 at 8:37 pm

Nope. For now the phalanx formation is still just a spacing/bonus variant of the existing battleline. It is still on our todo list to write some custom phalanx movement code. At the moment the greek factions are still are least complete, but hopefully we'll have a better demo for them in the next month.

So far the game is lookong good... Looking forward to it.

Level 9 Human LINUX RULES
Posted on March 23, 2015 at 1:59 pm

The game is looking good but im mostly interested if formation stances are going to be reimplemented from Hegemony Gold. This is my biggest gripe with Rome next to the problematic AI.

Level 8 Human gamer
Posted on April 3, 2015 at 4:50 pm

Looks good, please don't start another funding campaign quite yet, I need to move house and the Mrs will go nuts if I spend money on games in the next couple of months, which I will :P

Level 4 Human gamer
Posted on April 19, 2015 at 7:24 am

ANY NEWS ON RELEASE DATE GUYS? so pumped i already have steam moneyz put away for it;)

Posted on April 20, 2015 at 8:03 pm

ANY NEWS ON RELEASE DATE GUYS? so pumped i already have steam moneyz put away for it;)

We're getting closer ... it's going to be this summer for sure (hopefully on the early side), but I'm hesitant to set a specific date until we get further into playtesting and we have a better idea how much balance/debug work there is.

I'm working on an updated news post now so you should have some new details in the next few days.

Level 4 Human gamer
Posted on April 21, 2015 at 5:00 pm

We're getting closer ... it's going to be this summer for sure (hopefully on the early side), but I'm hesitant to set a specific date until we get further into playtesting and we have a better idea how much balance/debug work there is.

I'm working on an updated news post now so you should have some new details in the next few days.

Awesome thanks for the response you ever thought about doing early accesses no just for funds or what ever but i noticed through hegemony romes development ppl playing seemd to help find issues in performance balancing ect and over time help make it a better game if not that then a private beta? Awesome work tho:) backed during kickstartrer was sad to see it didnt fund through that tho i think it was because the same time was near the holiday so you had massive holiday steam sales going on and some game releases as well

Posted on April 21, 2015 at 9:51 pm

While we've made a number of mechanical changes to make play balancing easier this time, the game is still way too big for us to test everything internally so we are planning a closed beta a little closer to release to get some input from the community.

Level 14 Human wizard
Alignment: Good
Posted on April 21, 2015 at 10:10 pm

Glad to hear Hegemony III is coming along. Good luck with the closed beta!

Level 4 Human gamer
Posted on April 22, 2015 at 7:35 am

Awesome guys thanks for sharing some details about the game and the beta process can't wait to take my pre Marian legions And establish the power of the roman republic ;):)