Skip navigation

I'm done with Hegemony Rome

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Hegemony > I'm done with Hegemony Rome
Level 4 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on July 19, 2014 at 8:31 am

I'm going to put Hegemony Rome on the top shelf, probably never to be played again. I'm sorry that it has come to this, but the game is unplayable for me, and the issues are purely technical.
The - game - stutters - and - lags - halfway - into - sandbox - mode - to - the - point - where - it's - completely - unplayable - and - that - is - not - acceptable - in - a - game - of - today. Irritating to read like that isn't it? But not nearly as irritating as what Hegemony Rome does.
I have a quad-core 3.4 GHz computer and a GTX 760 graphics-card with 4 Gb memory, so I must ask myself what kind of computers this game was designed for? I never get more than halfway into the sandbox-mode before the game begins to lag and stutter for me, and now it has gotten to the point where it crashes directly after loading while calculating my money balance, apparently doing so item by item. By the way, why does it have to spend several minutes each time after loading to calculate my avaliable money? Why isn't this part of the save?
And another thing, why can't the saves remember the changes in formation for units that I have made? Cavalry is still marked as being in the changed formation, but it's actually not so on the map.
Since Hegemony Rome now crashes for me each time I load, it's not merely a question of extreme irritation over lag and stutter, the game is not even playable.

Level 13 Extraplanar Programmer
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on August 6, 2014 at 4:55 pm

I'm not sure if Rob has had a chance to look at the formation thing yet, but we've definitely looked at the performance issue.

This issue happens when your campaigns has a really large number of trade routes, so it only really happens late in larger sandbox campaigns. We have a fix for this which should hopefully be out soon. We're hoping to release the next version as a beta so the wait won't be so long, so keep an eye on our news page or the Steam discussions so you know when it comes out.