Skip navigation

What's next for Rome?

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Hegemony > What's next for Rome?
Level 9 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on May 21, 2014 at 1:39 pm

Hey congrats on the release guys! I'm planning on picking up Rome through the Longbow store after work.

The release announcement said you have more stuff planned for Rome. Is it essentially "extra" content? IE, is the release on the 17th Rome 1.0, and everything after that is gravy?

Also, what are the biggest things you are planning on adding?

Level 17 Extraplanar gamer
Posted on May 21, 2014 at 3:50 pm

The version we released last week contains all of the features and content we planned for the Gallic Wars campaign/sandbox. In the immediate future, updates will focus on expanding AI abilities, improving mod support, and interface/usability enhancements. Further down the road we are looking at new mechanics and content, but it is too early to get into that now.

Level 9 Human Truffle Farmer
Alignment: Good
Posted on May 23, 2014 at 1:42 pm

I find that the smoothness of Hegemony: Gold is missing from Rome. Crossing the zoom threshold and trying to click around in city menu's feels unresponsive. Is there some sort of optimisation planned in the future or do I need a serious upgrade of my hardware?

Level 8 Human gamer
Alignment: Lawful good
Posted on May 27, 2014 at 5:16 am

Just to make sure:
I had a similar problem and feeling when playing on my laptop which I found was due to my computer defaulting to the integrated graphics. After switching it the the nvidia card everything was very smooth again. So if you have a rig with an integrated card and a real one it would be worth checking that the game is using the good graphics card.

Posted on May 29, 2014 at 9:21 am

Just to make sure:
I had a similar problem and feeling when playing on my laptop which I found was due to my computer defaulting to the integrated graphics. After switching it the the nvidia card everything was very smooth again. So if you have a rig with an integrated card and a real one it would be worth checking that the game is using the good graphics card.

Thanks for the suggestion. How would I go about doing that? I use an AMD card (if that is relevant). My hardware is all new right now so I don't have a lot of experience changing settings just yet.

Level 8 Human gamer
Posted on May 29, 2014 at 7:58 pm

Hm. If you only have the AMD card and no additional ATI or Nvidia then thats only an integrated card and probably just too slow. I am talking about setups like notebooks or desktop pcs that have an integrated Intel or AMD graphics card AND a real ATI or Nvidia card. Most of the time with gaming notebooks you have the integrated graphics that is built into the mainboard and then when a realy graphics card is added you have both and sometimes games default to the slow integrated one. If you only have the integrated one and no real graphics card this solution probably does not apply to you :(

Posted on May 30, 2014 at 9:53 am

Hm. If you only have the AMD card and no additional ATI or Nvidia then thats only an integrated card and probably just too slow. I am talking about setups like notebooks or desktop pcs that have an integrated Intel or AMD graphics card AND a real ATI or Nvidia card. Most of the time with gaming notebooks you have the integrated graphics that is built into the mainboard and then when a realy graphics card is added you have both and sometimes games default to the slow integrated one. If you only have the integrated one and no real graphics card this solution probably does not apply to you :(

My mistake, I have an ATI radeon 5570 specifically. It should be running from that since if it were running from the integrated card I would struggle to even to run the screen resolution smoothly. I don't think my issues in Rome concern my card running properly at all other than the fact that it may not be powerful enough.

I find the mouse is ever so slightly sluggish and sometimes my click in the city interface menu's don't respond. Things just don't feel crisp.

Level 8 Human gamer
Posted on May 30, 2014 at 9:00 pm

still sounds like what i experienced. so either your ati is as fast as my integrated intel or you may want to check it anyway :) i was thinking the same thing as you that it wouldnt run at all on integrated but it did and not even badly... just sluggish for the mouse. exactly the same symptoms so it cant hurt to check ;)

Posted on May 31, 2014 at 7:57 am

Ok, so lets go back 3 or 4 posts and I'll ask again. How do I do that? I don't know how to check that I am running off the card properly. I had just kinda assumed that it would automagically favour the proper card.

Level 7 Human gamer
Posted on May 31, 2014 at 8:29 am

In your Control Panel (when looking at it in the list layout, the one with the icons) there should be an ATI icon named either ATI control panel or (more likely) ATI Catalyst Control Center (abbreviation is CCC). Then there should be a tab called 3D settings and there should be a possibility to change the default graphics card either for all or for specific programs. Since I always use NVidia cards, I cannot tell you for sure that it is 100% like I described it. If you run into any problems, feel free to ask or to wait until someone with an ATI card comes around.

Level 6 Human gamer
Posted on June 3, 2014 at 6:00 am

I have an AMD Radeon HD 8760 and I can also report that the smoothness that Blxz is talking about isn't there in Hegemony Rome. It's kinda stuttering at certain points. There's even occasional stutter on the panoramic background on the main game startup screen.

There's nothing wrong with the card. It runs everything from a heavily graphics modded Skyrim, Rome 2 Total War to Tropico 5 like a breeze. I mentioned this AMD problem in the early beta testing as well, but thought it was going to get fixed with further game development and optimization. the game is fully playable and enjoyable, just not as smooth an experience as I'd like.